Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FamilyNet and EE are off the air!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:54 PM

Apparently, Dominion Sky Angel (or Sky Demon) forced DISH to pull FamilyNet and EE (9413 and 9414). These channels are currently displaying a slate spilling the beans.

But Daystar isn't off yet. ???
Do you DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:03 PM

Wtf?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:21 PM

Here is the link to the Sky Report news story from 9/14: http://www.skyreport...eID=1483#Story1
Bill R

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:38 PM

Oh joy! If FamilyNet stays gone, that should mean the return of several FN local stations to transponders near you, right? :crying:
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:44 AM

Apparently, Dominion Sky Angel (or Sky Demon) forced DISH to pull FamilyNet and EE (9413 and 9414). These channels are currently displaying a slate spilling the beans.

But Daystar isn't off yet. ???

That is odd, considering that EE was not part of the original lawsuit. They may be grandfathering Daystar in some odd way - since it was on E* before it moved to SkyAngel. Then again, it may be because of the satellite location. EE and FamilyNet are on E3 at 61.5, the satellite directly involved in the contract.

Then again Daystar may be the next to disapear. Is it still on SkyAngel this morning?

Add another two channels to the "needs to be filled" PI list. Plenty of room for the Pentagon Channel now. :)

JL

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:50 AM

Oh joy! If FamilyNet stays gone, that should mean the return of several FN local stations to transponders near you, right? :crying:

They MAY (stress MAY) put it on a national transponder and hide it except in those markets where it is a local. The issue would be what channel number to put it on, in both the low range (2-99) and the real channel number. The FCC requires locals to be grouped together in the EPG.

Here's a wild thought. Uplink the national FamilyNet signal but map as how many channels are needed. Then it could be on multiple channel numbers (and the appropriate number in the 2-99 range) while only stealing one transponder of space. The only issue would be the potential "one dish" rules for locals, which would mean FN would have to be on every satellite that offered it as a local but only mapped on that satellite to the local markets on that satellite that have a FamilyNet affiliate. Messy, but only one more feed than they are doing today. (Or, were doing yesterday. :( )

JL

#7 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:44 AM

Interesting, I have Sky Angel and super stations only subscription to Dish so I no longer get the PI stations. PI stations require AT60 or higher.

When I had Top 150, I used to like watching JCTV stuff on EE.

None of JCTV or EE's programming is on Sky Angel so I don't understand how come it is blocked.

I would love JCTV to be on Directv or Sky Angel but as of yet it isn't.

Jim

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:05 PM

Here is the link to the Sky Report news story from 9/14: http://www.skyreport...eID=1483#Story1

Fine with me! I'm a heathen :D Sorry.

#9 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:09 PM

You're goin' to hell, sinboy! :lol:

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#10 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:05 PM

Maybe DISH should just pull the entire Sky Angel lineup.
Do you DVR?

#11 OFFLINE   MSoper72

MSoper72

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:13 PM

I just got off the telephone with the Dish CSS (Customer Service Supervisor) He stated that DayStar would not be pulled off the air and as for FamilyNet and EE. Dish is going to work with Sky Angel to get those 2 channels back up.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:25 PM

You're goin' to hell, sinboy! :lol:

Probably be some people from The Dominion there too.

JL

#13 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:32 PM

I would love JCTV to be on Directv or Sky Angel but as of yet it isn't.

Jim

Would it be possible for Dominion (Demonion) to move their Sky Angel lineup to DirecTV?
Do you DVR?

#14 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:41 PM

Beans... We've been though this before.

Sky Angel OWNS 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5.

Please remember that.

Part 2.

Dish and Sky Angel have a contract written in blood and binding not to be broken (that's what this fight was all about). Sky Angel lets Dish use 6 of the transponders Sky Angel owns. In exchange Dish allows Sky Angel to use two transponders on Echostar 3 for the life of that satellite. If Dish breaks the contract, Dish CANNOT use the 6 transponders they sub-lease from Sky Angel.

PART 3

Dish agreed not to uplink mostly religious channels except the ones they already had at the time of the contract (TBN, Angel One and EWTN).
Sky Angel agreen not to uplink mostly secular channels.
That is the basis of this dispute.

Did Sky Angel do exactly the wrong thing to PISS EVERYONE off? Dish, the program provider and the subscribers? Yup. Did they have a right to do so? Yup.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#15 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:14 PM

Interesting, I have Sky Angel and super stations only subscription to Dish so I no longer get the PI stations. PI stations require AT60 or higher.

That is NOT 100% true - all I have is supers/networks & I get ALL of these PI channels. Unfortunately, FSTV is on 110; the rest are all on the wing sats.

Classic Arts
EE
FamilyNet
Free Speech TV
GSN
PAEC

#16 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

Sky Angel OWNS 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5. They OWN 8 transponders at 61.5.

What are you trying to say?

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
Originally posted by Jacob S
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#17 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:45 PM

lol :D

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:37 PM

Would it be possible for Dominion (Demonion) to move their Sky Angel lineup to DirecTV?

SkyAngel could do what they promised the FCC they would do when they applied for their orbit assignments, BUILD THEIR OWN SATELLITE. But then that would end their contract with E* and E* would be able, if not willing, to put up as many religious channels as they pleased. I don't believe SA would like that! :lol:

SkyAngel to DirecTV? Nope. They COULD license DTV's technology instead of using E* boxes and encode their system in D*'s style to make it easier for D* customers to get their signals, but the channels would remain on 61.5 and if they really wanted to do that they would have to park a satellite at 61.5. Until SA gets their own bird and uplink they have tied their future to E*.

Why is the prohibition against being unequally yoked running through my mind? Isn't this a mariage of convenience? Destined for divorce? (Ok, they did say until the death of E3 they would not part but really!)

And why did E* sign the non-compete? Today it makes no sense, but back in the day E* only had the 21 transponders at 119 and was launching their third satellite to 61.5 where they could use extra bandwidth. 11 E* licenses were OK, but borrowing six more from SA and more under STA from the FCC made 61.5 a viable position. They didn't have room for extra channels at the time, so dealing away the religious channels wasn't too bad. 61.5 became less important over time as most of 110 and all of 148 were added to the bandwidth corral. Today 61.5 continues to lose importance. Perhaps HD locals will eventually go there ... that's the only valuable addition lined up.

The contract needs to be rewritten to fit the current situation. The Dominion has failed to meet their commitments to provide their own uplinks and relies 100% on E* for all the technology to keep their signals on the air. That's not a good thing.

JL

#19 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

The contract needs to be rewritten to fit the current situation.

Amen!
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

spam firewall