Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does the SkyAngel lawsuit result encourage you to subscribe?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: The lawsuit and removal of channels affect my desire to subscribe to SkyAngel: (20 member(s) have cast votes)

The lawsuit and removal of channels affect my desire to subscribe to SkyAngel:

1. I am less likely to subscribe to/continue with SkyAngel because of their actions. (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. I am more likely to subscribe or continue SkyAngel, even though I would not get EE and FN. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Forcing E* to remove EE and FN has no affect on my subscription decision. (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

4. I am a lifetime subscriber and my subscription is independent of current events. (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:12 AM

Does the SkyAngel lawsuit against Echostar/Dish Network and the resultant removal of FamilyNet and Entertaining Everyone from the E* network encourage you to subscribe to SkyAngel?

Please answer in this poll.

JL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:30 AM

Well, once I'm out of an apartment with basic analog cable only and no way to get satellite, I was thinking of getting S.A. barring a sudden change of attitude and public repentance for their actions; or a seriously good explaination (better than what I've seen so far) - I'd be more inclined to get a free to air KU system and watch the Christian programming on it that TBN, etc provide.

#3 OFFLINE   DBS&Me

DBS&Me

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:49 AM

From what I can read, JC-TV and Family Net were never supposed to be on DISH anyway, so, NO, it shouldn't make any difference to anyone. Remember, signing up not only brings you more Christian TV then you have now, but you are helping secure a Christian owned and operated platform. Listen, the only reason Directv and DISH even put Christian TV on is because they get paid, and people like Family Net and Daystar promote DISH to Christians while their Pastors are saying "take a close look at what's coming into your home from the TV and what you are supporting with your monthly subscription".

#4 OFFLINE   pastorgadget

pastorgadget

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

I don't agree with SkyAngels strategy as a whole, it is legalistic in its approach to spread the gospel. The only way to spread the gospel via satellite is there way? Bad move and one that will not last long, IMHO. There strategy cuts off the message that they want to spread to those on Dish. They say that those that want to hear the good news have outlets on Dish already grandfathered but that is not current to the market of people that like variety so that arguement is worthless. There are a lot of key issues in SA's strategy and most with good intent but they loose the sole purpose of getting the greatest message out because of the systems they have set up, they have in turned limited how the message goes out, that is legalism. The current agreement with Dish and Sa limits what others may choose to do that is not part of SA's plan.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:30 PM

Listen, the only reason Directv and DISH even put Christian TV on is because they get paid, and people like Family Net and Daystar promote DISH to Christians while their Pastors are saying "take a close look at what's coming into your home from the TV and what you are supporting with your monthly subscription".

Please note that the Religious stations on Dish and DirecTV are primarily "Public Interest" programing paying the minimum fee charged by each respective satellite provider for use of one channel. They are there because there is a rule requiring Public Interest channels. Both E* and D* could make a lot more money in that space than religious channels.

D* and E* do see some customer demand for religious networks, so I wouldn't say they would not carry the religious channels unless forced. But it does help that so many are PI channels satisfying the PI rules and those who want the programming.

For those sensitive to what's coming in to their home, they can subscribe to E*'s minimum package - which includes the PIs and a base level of channels found on cable. And the channel locks work nicely to where even the adults may have trouble getting in to a channel they have locked. If they are really sensitive they probably shouldn't have a TV at all.

I don't know how people would stay informed about what is going on in the world if all they watched was SkyAngel channels. I suppose one of the radio networks would be the best bet. Be IN the world. Some times people are more concerned with the second part of that quote that they forget they are supposed to be IN the world, knowing what is going on IN the world.

But I digress ...

JL

#6 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:18 PM

I am a Dishnetwork subscriber as well as a lifetime sub to Sky Angel, but even if I wasn’t I would continue my subscription to Sky Angel with or without FN or EE (JCTV). Sky Angel is a very valuable resource to my wife and I (and granddaughter when she visits us) and is worth supporting. We will also be continuing our monthly (unsolicited) financial support to Sky Angel as well as our prayers.

#7 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:15 PM

The long-term goal/vision, as I understand it, is to fund the production and FTA broadcast of Christian programming to the rest of the world (first to the Americas, Europe, and Africa), primarily through US subscriptions and donations. I think they really need to get the international licenses, and begin FTA broadcasts ASAP, at least on an experimental basis, and preferably before they manage to get their own first satellite launched. Then again, maybe Canada won't allow it, for fear of possible "hate speech" reaching the sensitive ears of Canadian citizens.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...