Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about switching to DirecTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rhyme

rhyme

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:38 AM

Hello,

I'm thinking about switching to Directv and I would like to get the HD Tivo as part of a new customer package deal along with another HD receiver and a SD DVR in a third room...

Can anyone reccommend a good online retailer or should I just call directv up directly?

Also would the installer run the second cable lines upstairs or is there an additional charge for that? Currently I have all my rooms pre-wired with cable but its only 1 wire to each room... I would like to take advantage of the dual tuners for the DVRs...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest_dishsucks_*

Guest_dishsucks_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:44 PM

valueelectronics.com

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:07 PM

I also recommend ValueElectronics.

If you're getting the DirecTivo units then yes they should run any additional cable for N/C. However it will probably be the quickest/easiest way for them to do it. If you want an 'upgrade' they'd charge you for that extra work.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

Robert is the man to see for all your DirecTiVo needs :D

http://www.valueelectronics.com
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#5 OFFLINE   openhouse

openhouse

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:32 PM

other great places for directv deals are

http://hdtvtechno.ne...rtSatellite.htm
when you order through this specail website address mentioned, Compliments of hdtvtechno. To Get A Specail Discount Of Your Products You Order, Please Make Sure You Enter, Promo Code: ref533560 During The Ordering Process. When ordering Via The Telephone & Speaking with a Live Person Or Automated System, Please Make Sure You Mention, Promo Code: ref533560 Before You Place Your Order, To Get The Specail Discount. The Promo Code: ref533560 Does Not Expire, So You Can Use It EveryTime You Place Your Order, Even You Can Share The Promo Code With Your Friends Or Family

and more great places
http://hdtvtechno.ne...com/directv.htm
http://hdtvtechno.ne...m/satellite.htm

#6 OFFLINE   JerryR

JerryR

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:43 PM

Hello,

I'm thinking about switching to Directv and I would like to get the HD Tivo as part of a new customer package deal along with another HD receiver and a SD DVR in a third room...

Can anyone reccommend a good online retailer or should I just call directv up directly?

Also would the installer run the second cable lines upstairs or is there an additional charge for that? Currently I have all my rooms pre-wired with cable but its only 1 wire to each room... I would like to take advantage of the dual tuners for the DVRs...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Conversely, I am seriously considering dumping D* for E* - might even do it tonight. Tired of waiting for D* to provide the locals. I already have a TiVo so that isn't an issue for me. Is there a top notch online source anyone would recommend for E*?

#7 OFFLINE   Selenna

Selenna

Fair Lady of the forums

• Gold Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

other great places for directv deals are
To Get A Specail Discount Of Your Products You Order, Please Make Sure You Enter, Promo Code: xxxx
Does Not Expire, So You Can Use It EveryTime You Place Your Order, Even You Can Share The Promo Code With Your Friends Or Family

And so kind of you to mention that by someone using that promo code YOU, not they, will receive $80. I don't mind seeing someone else get a bonus, but I at least expect them to mention it up front and not make it sound like some special deal for me.
"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please." -John Wayne

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr Seuss

#8 OFFLINE   rhyme

rhyme

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

Hmm why value electronics? I noticed that I have to pay sales tax from this place... also I noticed I have to pay a shipping fee when adding things to my cart.. Doesn't the equipment get shipped direct to the installer?

Anyplace else that is not in New York state?

Thanks..

#9 OFFLINE   Psychic Horse

Psychic Horse

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:49 PM

Hmm why value electronics? I noticed that I have to pay sales tax from this place... also I noticed I have to pay a shipping fee when adding things to my cart.. Doesn't the equipment get shipped direct to the installer?

Anyplace else that is not in New York state?

Thanks..

I just placed an order with valueelectronics. Great service, shipped to you direct and an installer comes to set it up.

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:20 PM

JerryR,
Is your TiVo a standalone model?
Otherwise it won't work with Dish network.
Instead of dropping DirecTV altogether, check to see of Dish can provide you the locals all by themselves.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#11 OFFLINE   JerryR

JerryR

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:46 AM

JerryR,
Is your TiVo a standalone model?
Otherwise it won't work with Dish network.
Instead of dropping DirecTV altogether, check to see of Dish can provide you the locals all by themselves.

Yes, it is a Sony branded Series One TiVo. I was a very early adopter. Has all the storage capacity I need. Never thought about asking DISH if they'd provide locals only - kinda doubt they would though. Thanks for the idea.

spam firewall