Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What is the power cutoff for full power stations?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:07 PM

Does anybody know what the wattage cutoff is to be considered a full power station? (preferably UHF)

Reason I ask is there are alot of stations that Dish doesn't carry, but they might not be LP's (or CA)

As an example....KWWF 22 UPN in Waterloo, IA is right now 500KW but holds a construction permit for 3000KW (still less than the max of 5000kw)

Once the CP is done, does KWWF (as an example) qualify for must carry?

What is the wattage cutoff? Or as long as you arent a LP (ie: KLKS-LP) or a CA (WBQC-CA) you would qualify?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

KWWF is a licensed full power TV station right now and qualifies for must carry right now. ...even at its present gerbil generated power output. :D

Yes, as long as you are a TV station and not a CA or LP station you automatically qualify to elect Must Carry.

The difference between full power and low power is a channel allocation and licensing issue more than the actual ERP the transmitter puts out.

Probably the reason it hasn't received must carry for Dish is because of "good quality signal" issues to the POP.

For those that don't know what "must carry" is go here: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/20

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:24 AM

The difference between full power and low power is a channel allocation and licensing issue more than the actual ERP the transmitter puts out.

I knew there was a cutoff for low powered radio stations (250W), but I didnt know if there was a cutoff. Its also weird that some translator stations actually have lettered call signs (KLKS-LP for example, instead of K39GG, which runs at more power than KLKS) :)

Probably the reason it hasn't received must carry for Dish is because of "good quality signal" issues to the POP.

They went UPN on 9/1 under new owner Equity...probably the no good signal to the POP :)

spam firewall