Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Check it out!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dbodle

dbodle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

If anyone wants to read Skyangels version of the lawsuit go to www.skyangel.com/echostarlawsuit It talks alot about Daystar and Family Net, but doesn't explain the removal of Educating Everyone. I am urging everyone to send Sky Angel a email telling them you want these channels to return to Dish ASAP.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

I noticed that SkyAngel has decided not to respond other than that well known hidden page slamming the Lambs and Daystar. EE carried JCTV, which was apparently a religious feed (lots of skateboarders with Bibles when I watched :D ). And yet, Daystar remains.

IIRC Daystar was on E* before SkyAngel, so they may have done some retroactive grandfathering. :D

I've said enough about the double-minded ministry I call "the Dominion" in other threads. You can't do a good job of spreading the Gospel when you devote SO MUCH time to preventing it's distribution. They would have been better off devoting that energy into getting an uplink center built or a satellite launched. I guess they just have bad priorities.

JL

#3 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:54 PM

I've said enough about the double-minded ministry I call "the Dominion" in other threads. You can't do a good job of spreading the Gospel when you devote SO MUCH time to preventing it's distribution. They would have been better off devoting that energy into getting an uplink center built or a satellite launched. I guess they just have bad priorities.

JL

They've even shown some architectural sketches... Haven't been to Naples, FL to see what's happening there...

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

They've even shown some architectural sketches... Haven't been to Naples, FL to see what's happening there...

After Jeanne goes through they'll probably have to start over, if they've started.

Nasty months to be in Florida this year.

JL

#5 OFFLINE   DBS&Me

DBS&Me

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 04:49 PM

If anyone wants to read Skyangels version of the lawsuit go to www.skyangel.com/echostarlawsuit It talks alot about Daystar and Family Net, but doesn't explain the removal of Educating Everyone. I am urging everyone to send Sky Angel a email telling them you want these channels to return to Dish ASAP.

Just what are you reading that makes you think the channels should return to DISH? DISH, Family Net and Daystar and conspired against the Dominion/Echostar contract and you want Dominion to go against the ruling they sought for? EE from what I have read had to much JC-TV on it thus giving TBN two PIO channels, that's against FCC regulations, so bye bye. As for why EE isn't on, don't know.

Just one thing people, if Dominion were to allow the channels back on contrary to the ruling, what makes you think DISH wont load up Christian channels to put an end to Dominion? It seems to me the Christians on these boards that don't have Dominion are happy with getting DISH with the few Christian channels there so they don't have to pay Dominion for others. Remember, DISH is the one that entered into the contract that says, "you have Christian, we'll have secular". paraphrasing. I don't think just because these were PI channels gives DISH the right to put them on.

Just look what Family Net said, "it will not greatly affect us". The hidden website doesn't have a lot about Family Net, but a email posted at satelliteguys.us does talk about Family Net, I suggest you go check it out.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:57 PM

How many families with no Christian influence have SkyAngel? SkyAngel is subscribed to by families who decide to subscribe due to influences at church, a Christian family member in the home, or a Christian family member outside the home who suggests the subscription or gives it as a gift. In short, everyone who gets the SkyAngel has some Christian influence and the only purpose SkyAngel can serve is to support that influence with programming that *may* not be contrary.

Except for AngelOne on E* and the free subscriptions SkyAngel places, they are NOT reaching an audience that has not already received the message. SkyAngel is NOT evangelical. Not that there is anything wrong that, but two networks who WANT to be evangelical and actually go after the lost on E* are being blocked by a company who refuses to live up to their own mission statement.

EE from what I have read had to much JC-TV on it thus giving TBN two PIO channels, that's against FCC regulations, so bye bye. As for why EE isn't on, don't know.

Are you double minded? You give the answer and then say "don't know!

SkyAngel would rather bash Daystar and slander them on their hidden page than FamilyNet. It's their choice who they want to trash. I don't believe they should be trashing ANY religious company. All those comments about Daystar should be removed immediately and if they want to present "their side" of the story they should stick to the basic facts, not wild "he said/she said" bashing of a ministry that IS going in to the world to preach the Gospel.

SkyAngel has failed. And they wish to take down other ministries in their failure. Not good.

If it were not for "the kindness of E*" SkyAngel would not even be on a satellite. They would have lost their FCC assignments (and, IMHO, they still should for failure to comply with the FCC rules). Sure, they are not showing Janet's breast or playing Opie and Andy's "sex for Sam Adams" contests. But they have not complied with FCC rules. Or is this another case where a Christian ministry says to hockysticks with the rules since we're doing it "for God"?

Not a good witness. You could probably say the same about me, but if SkyAngel is allowed to bash Daystar on their website and remain Christian, it shouldn't affect my faith to say a few words about the Dominion. Just trying to get them to see that plank in their ministry's eye. And since Mathew 18 didn't work telling SkyAngel, we are now in the world's forum.

JL

#7 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 08:16 PM

just wondering................

#8 OFFLINE   DBS&Me

DBS&Me

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:40 AM

It's amazing how you just don't get it. You don't want Sky Angel defending itself when a contract was blatantly broken? The last time I checked DISH, TBN, Angel One and scores of Christian content are all over the DISH channels, check out BET, ABCFamily, PAX, The Superstations, WGN in the mornings and the networks that people can subscribe to, oh, the some of the shopping channels have Christian programs, sometimes for 6 hours straight, so there is Christian TV on DISH without Daystar and Family Net.

Again, how can you say Sky Angel is not being evangelistic when ANGEL ONE is FREE to anyone that installs a dish, they don't even have to call DISH to subscribe to ANYTHING and Angel One is there! Family Net told DISH in secret meetings (according to the Barbie story in Fort Worth) that they weren't even a Christian channel and "it wont greatly affect them being taken off DISH, yeah, real evangelistic they are, I don't even see Family Net saying now they can't evengelize on DISH. As for Marcus Lamb, talk about two-faced, read what he did and stop thinking that Sky Angel is somehow bashing him, he's guilty and no one seems to care! They are ALL guilty and no one seems to care.?

Originally Posted by DBS&Me
EE from what I have read had to much JC-TV on it thus giving TBN two PIO channels, that's against FCC regulations, so bye bye. As for why EE isn't on, don't know.

Responded by lurker

Stupid, I said I don't know why EE is off the air, but I know why JC-TV is.

Posted by lurker
If it were not for "the kindness of E*" SkyAngel would not even be on a satellite.

Do you think Charlie was being "Nice" back in 1995 when he signed the contract with Dominion? He probably figured this wont last and I'll get their frequencies. Also, remember, he got six of the transponders to use, but stupidly only for the life of Echo III.

Lurker wrote:
And since Mathew 18 didn't work telling SkyAngel, we are now in the world's forum.

I guess you didn't read the Sky Angel website that showed Marcus asking Mr. Johnson about the Matthew 18 and at the same time writing Sky Angel channels bashing Sky Angel, it's all in the website. I read it extensively last summer and again this time around.

Lurker, I don't know what you are trying to prove, do you have DISH and are a Christian and are upset that you've lost a few Christian channels? If so, just get Sky Angel, I can't imagine why you haven't already, they've been on the air for like 7 years now.

#9 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:12 PM

hmmm...no answer?

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:02 PM

It's amazing how you just don't get it. You don't want Sky Angel defending itself when a contract was blatantly broken?

Ok Nancy, if your are going to post you should use your regular login. Or is it odd that this new character should crop up to troll for the company?

The actions of SkyAngel are contrary to their stated mission AND unbiblical (contrary to the great commission). It is like the Baptists shutting down the Lutheran church and gloating about it. It isn't the lawsuit but the attitude expressed especially on their "hidden" website and their lack of meeting ANY FCC deadline. You want to follow contracts? Have SkyAngel honor their contract with the FCC. They should not be on the air.

Originally Posted by DBS&Me

Responded by lurker

Stupid, I said I don't know why EE is off the air, but I know why JC-TV is.

Since you want to apply the label stupid, make sure you stick it on yourself. JCTV has NEVER been offered by DishNetwork. EE was offered by DishNetwork.

You don't seem to get it. Ask SkyAngel how this suit helps the Kingdom. The only kingdom the suit helps isn't the heavenly one, it's SkyAngel's earthy kingdom.

hmmm...no answer?

I try not to live on the Internet 24x7. But since you are so impolite about it, you don't deserve an answer. Sundays are for other things than living on websites.

JL
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

(1) Bob Johnson, the founder of Sky Angel and Dominion Video Satellite passed away just recently. This has rather abruptly forced his son to take over the CEO role. I would agree that the best way to honor the founder's memory is to fulfill his vision of international satellite ministry, but this will continue to require considerable time, money, effort, and dedication. The Sky Angel staff will not be able to get this done without our help.

(2) Florida was hit by a record four hurricanes this season. I don't know how badly they affected the Naples area (maybe Nancy can fill us in on that), but I suspect it isn't a pretty sight.

(3) AFAIK, Sky Angel has not attained huge numbers of subscribers and donors, and I would say this is at least not entirely due to its own failings. There is plenty of empire building and turf wars in Christian television, such as TBN vs. Daystar, Protestant vs. Catholic, etc. Sky Angel has been and continues to be rather unique, in that it has provided air time free of charge to any and all Christian ministries that produce programming meeting certain minimum standards of quality and integrity; serving as an empire-neutral platform. Other ministries would do well to stop squabbling and catch this vision.

(4) DISH Network failed to honor its written contract with Sky Angel/DVS, and began carrying new Christian channels, plain and simple. This is disappointing, but not very surprising.

I think that a good way for "the dominion" as you call it to "strike back" is to start broadcasting some programs "in the clear" on its 97xx channels from 61.5 (E3). This would serve to considerably bolster its ministry, mission, and credibility, and make it possible for Mexicans and Canadians to receive these programs. They could even put up Daystar and FamilyNet FTA sometimes.

They also need to acquire the necessary license authority to broadcast into other countries.

Then hopefully their US subscriber and international donor base will increase to the point where they can afford to build the production and uplink facilities, and finally launch their own first satellite.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:03 PM

I think that a good way for "the dominion" as you call it to "strike back" is to start broadcasting some programs "in the clear" on its 97xx channels from 61.5 (E3). This would serve to considerably bolster its ministry, mission, and credibility, and make it possible for Mexicans and Canadians to receive these programs. They could even put up Daystar and FamilyNet FTA sometimes.

SkyAngel needs to get more bandwidth and expand their offerings. I don't see that in the plans. The biggest problem with SkyAngel is that they are frozen at 20+16 channels. They cannot offer FamilyNet at all, without pulling another channel. What happened to World Harvest TV and PulseFM? Gone. IIRC FamilyNet was on SkyAngel too until SkyAngel decided that they should be cut. And until Daystar appeared on E*, SkyAngel was ready to pull the plug on them too.

If SkyAngel could offer a home to all the ministries that WANT to participate, including those like FamilyNet that WOULD be willing to pay for their space, they would be a better system. If that means modifying the deal with E* to get a third transponder then they should go for it.

If you looked int the numbers, you would probably find that no other DBS provider has dropped as many channels as SkyAngel. Not a good record.

They also need to acquire the necessary license authority to broadcast into other countries.

That is an absolute. It seems that they want to do the impossible (broadcast worldwide) and are ignoring the possible (better serving the support base in the US).

JL

#13 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:15 PM

SkyAngel needs to get more bandwidth and expand their offerings. I don't see that in the plans. The biggest problem with SkyAngel is that they are frozen at 20+16 channels. They cannot offer FamilyNet at all, without pulling another channel. What happened to World Harvest TV and PulseFM? Gone. IIRC FamilyNet was on SkyAngel too until SkyAngel decided that they should be cut. And until Daystar appeared on E*, SkyAngel was ready to pull the plug on them too.

If SkyAngel could offer a home to all the ministries that WANT to participate, including those like FamilyNet that WOULD be willing to pay for their space, they would be a better system. If that means modifying the deal with E* to get a third transponder then they should go for it.

If you looked int the numbers, you would probably find that no other DBS provider has dropped as many channels as SkyAngel. Not a good record.That is an absolute. It seems that they want to do the impossible (broadcast worldwide) and are ignoring the possible (better serving the support base in the US).

JL

I think they could still do a lot more with the bandwidth to which they have unfortunately limited themselves. There is a lot of duplication and repetition of the same programs on various channels. They should offer a wider variety by switching feeds to drastically reduce the amount of duplication. They could also provide more Spanish-language translations on SAP feeds by hiring a native speaker. And, broadcasting in the clear sometimes would cost little or nothing, and would attract more new subscribers and donors, if the quality of the FTA programming is made to really shine. For example, always keep the informercials scrambled on the Worship channel, so only existing subscribers have to see them! :D

That's another question. Is Sky Angel obligated in any way to carry the commercial content along with the programming, since they are giving away the air time, and they don't receive any revenues from the advertising? Does being on Sky Angel actually make a program that much more attractive to the advertising sponsors? If so, then the effect would increase if some of the advertisements were broadcast FTA as well. :confused:

#14 Guest_Michael P_*

Guest_Michael P_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:10 PM

IIRC FamilyNet was on SkyAngel too until SkyAngel decided that they should be cut.

It was FamilyNet that asked to be cut from Sky Angel, not the other eway around. FamilyNet programming was already seen on several other SA networks (IIRC Cornerstone, at the time, carried almost everything FN produced). After FN left SA, they appeared on E*.

IMHO the main reason FN went with E* was due to "must carry" status of FN's many OTA affilliates. By carrying the FN network feed E* avoided mass-duplication to every market FN had an OTA presence, much like the PAX agreement. Ditto for Daystar, again a network with many OTA stations.

E* did not do these deals to screw SA, it was to save bandwidth on the same satellite that carries SA.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:30 AM

The point is that SkyAngel's deal put them in a box where they are limited to 20 video channels and 16 audio channels (unless they want to ditch four audio channels to add another video). Their lineup is worse than stagnant ... at least with a stagnant lineup you could count on your favorite Christian channel staying around. They change their chosen few at will, with no recourse for subscribers other than to cancel.

Their "method of payment" for being on the SkyAngel service is also troublesome. DayStar was asked to leave because they didn't promote SkyAngel to the level of the Dominion's liking. TBN won't put anything other than their SuperChannel there because the price is too high: "promote us until we are satisfied".

But no matter how much promotion broadcasters put on their channels they are primarily reaching existing SkyAngel subscribers who don't need to see more ads. They have bitten the apple and signed up with The Dominion. No further badgering is needed. :D

In any case, the unkind words on SkyAngel's website and their actions to prevent the spread of religious broadcasting have convinced me not to support them. The 61.5 dish is being disconnected and I'll put the money I budgeted for SkyAngel programming to better use - buying more E* programming.

JL

#16 Guest_Michael P_*

Guest_Michael P_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:06 PM

Their "method of payment" for being on the SkyAngel service is also troublesome. DayStar was asked to leave because they didn't promote SkyAngel to the level of the Dominion's liking. TBN won't put anything other than their SuperChannel there because the price is too high: "promote us until we are satisfied".

SuperChannel is not on Sky Angel because of the reason you stated. The "real" TBN was on E* long before SA began service. It could not be duplicated on SA for contractural reasons. On E* TBN is a "grandfathered" Christian network, as is EWTN; the same contract that caused the debacle we are now discussing over FN & Day* prevented SA from carrying the "real" TBN.

BTW: SuperChannel TBN is an "affilliate" of TBN - not an O&O station, therefore TBN is not even the entity that is "putting" TBN on SA.

spam firewall