Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Does anyone else have a 501?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2002 - 04:40 AM

Hi cfogus, It only works on recordings, when you watch what you have recorded, there's a button on your remote that will advance 30 seconds. When you get to that commercial you can hit the button a few times and skip through all of the commercials.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2002 - 10:40 AM

OIC....I thought that maybe there was some function I did not know about. Thanks for the reply!

#23 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2002 - 12:03 AM

I'm scheduled to get my 501 tomorrow morning between 8-12 Noon.(2-11) I'm getting it direct from Dish Network on the $199 promotion.Just one question..Will the Receiver come with the software completely updated (ver. 139) Or will I have to play catchup with the downloads?Not that it matters..just curious.

#24 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2002 - 04:36 AM

Hi Tim, unless its changed since I got mine, you will have to download it. :)

#25 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2002 - 12:54 PM

Steve, are you still getting yours in 5 more days ? :)

Tim, Let us know how you like it. Put it through some rigorous testing and give us an assessment. :)

#26 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2002 - 04:55 PM

The installer came at around 12:30 and stayed a little over an hour..Longer than I expected But the 501 install went real good..Played around with the FF, Pause, and REW of Live programs..Recorded brief bits of shows and erased them..Did a timer recording on Family Feud at 5:30 on Game Show network to try the Fast Forward through the commercials..cant believe you can do it so fast..Also hard to get used to starting to play a recording at the beginning without having to rewind anything.
The real test will be tonight..I created an event timer for 3 Game Show Network Programs between 4 and 6 AM (Black and White Overnight) Had to do it for each individual show..Will it just run straight through without showing the timer change onscreen (at 4:40 0r 5:20}?
Other Observations:
The Interface looks great! I Love having the 9-day program guide (With the 2800 I'd have been happy with 24 hours :) ) The instant weather feature is nice too. For just having it a few hours I like what I see so far. BTW, I had to wait for all the downloads to come up so I am already on version 139.Also, It recognized and put in my All Sub List..Thought that was interesting..

Tim Lones
East Sparta, Ohio

#27 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2002 - 06:51 PM

Funny thing you ask John, you know the phase 'Sh*t happens'? Well it happened big time, the guy at Sears got in an arguement with upper magagement, let his temper get the best of him and said some stupid things. Now hes on the unemployment line and my hope of a discounted 501 is gone. Oh well, this may be a blessing in disguise, Easter is a month and a half away and I will be working a full 40 hours both weeks of vacation. At that rate I SHOULD have enough for a 721. 80 hours x $6.50 hour = $520 -taxes, SS and medicare plus I have a bunch of $$$ saved up. My plans have changes a bit in recent days, but patience is the key, hopefully in 10 mins we'll get some solid info on the 721.

#28 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2002 - 12:00 PM

Sorry to here that Steve, but I totally agree.
I know it will be much more difficult for ya now, be patient, I agree. I honestly think the 721 would make you happier in the long run. :)

IMO....the earliest I would expect to see the 721 would be sometime in April.

#29 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2002 - 08:59 PM

Hey Guy's How are ya doing. I also went to sear's to check out the 501.They wouldn't honor the dish discount so I went home and called dish. I spent 45 minutes checking this unit out.

The funny thing is the hard drive on the one in the store was quiet, and the one I received from dish "click's". Some people say they have 2 different HD's.

Someone else was saying they said on tech chat that it might be caused by the unit being jarred one time. well the box it came in is in great shape. I don't know what to beleive.

Mine seems to be functioning properly. I haven't had any problem's yet. I went threw 3 dishplayer's, so I know what to expect. I really like this unit and I hope it stay's around for awhile.

well just my 2 ¢. anybody else here having the clicking problem?

#30 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2002 - 07:14 AM

Hey geneb11,

Just wanted to jump in here and welcome you to DBSTalk. Thanks for stopping by!

#31 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 05:45 PM

I've had mine now for 4 months, have lost all recordings 4 times, have reset it more times than I can count, have reinit'd the HD twice, done a NV RAM reset, prayed many, many times and held my breath till I was cyanotic. This machine is great when it works and sucks when it don't.

#32 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 07:45 PM

geneb11,

It would seem that some work just fine, and others never do. When I got my 501, the first thing I had to do was a re-init of the hdd, and it has sailed along perfectly since the day the $199 deal came out.

spam firewall