Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just bought HDTivo and have install question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:58 PM

I just bought the HD Tivo and it should arrive tomorrow :). I would like to prepare in advance the wiring, so all I have to do is attach wires on Tivo end and turn on. I am not sure what I need to run wires. Here is my current set up.

Phase III Dish with 3 of the 4 outs being used. I have a Std Def Direct TV Tivo upstairs and an Direct TV HD receiver downstairs.

I plan on keeping the Tivo upstairs as well as the HD Receiver downstairs. I am going to use the HD receiver for PIP. So I know I need to run 2 wires to the HD Tivo downstairs. Can I split the signal coming into the HD receiver for the Tivo, or do I need to run the 4th out from the dish and split that for the HD Tivo? Or, do I need to buy a multiswitch and attach it? If so, which one and what wires get attached?
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
Soon to be Hopper/Joey System
PS3
Wii

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

I just bought the HD Tivo and it should arrive tomorrow :). I would like to prepare in advance the wiring, so all I have to do is attach wires on Tivo end and turn on. I am not sure what I need to run wires. Here is my current set up.

Phase III Dish with 3 of the 4 outs being used. I have a Std Def Direct TV Tivo upstairs and an Direct TV HD receiver downstairs.

I plan on keeping the Tivo upstairs as well as the HD Receiver downstairs. I am going to use the HD receiver for PIP. So I know I need to run 2 wires to the HD Tivo downstairs. Can I split the signal coming into the HD receiver for the Tivo, or do I need to run the 4th out from the dish and split that for the HD Tivo? Or, do I need to buy a multiswitch and attach it? If so, which one and what wires get attached?

No, you can't 'split' the satellite signal. Just to make sure you want to connect a total of 5 connections to your phase III dish, 2 for SD Tivo, 1 for HD STB and 2 for your new HD Tivo, if yes then go with the multiswitch. Don't forget you also need a another cable for over the air antenna to the HD Tivo for your local OTA digital channels. Some multiswitchs allow for the connection of a OTA antenna to the swicth (5x8) and you can then use a diplexer to split the DBS and OTA signal from the single coax, but you can't split a DBS cable (at least not with DirecTV hardware).

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:22 PM

No, you can't 'split' the satellite signal. Just to make sure you want to connect a total of 5 connections to your phase III dish, 2 for SD Tivo, 1 for HD STB and 2 for your new HD Tivo, if yes then go with the multiswitch. Don't forget you also need a another cable for over the air antenna to the HD Tivo for your local OTA digital channels. Some multiswitchs allow for the connection of a OTA antenna to the swicth (5x8) and you can then use a diplexer to split the DBS and OTA signal from the single coax, but you can't split a DBS cable (at least not with DirecTV hardware).

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. My only other question is do I need to run 4 wires from the dish (currently there are only 3 coming out) or can I use the 3 coming out and hook those into the 5x8 switch?

Jamie
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
PS3
Wii

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:32 AM

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. My only other question is do I need to run 4 wires from the dish (currently there are only 3 coming out) or can I use the 3 coming out and hook those into the 5x8 switch?

Jamie

No, you really need to hook up all 4 coax from the dish to the multiswitch. Sorry

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:40 AM

I have a question alone these lines as well. I currently have Voom and Dish 501 in one room, with an OTA antenna going into VOOM. VOOM is being taken out in a few days. They will leave the line drops intact. DISH I have in 4 rooms. I will end up replacing DISH in all rooms, with the HD-TIVO in the room with VOOM. Will I need more lines dropped, or can DTV use my DISH and VOOM drops?
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#6 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:17 PM

I have a question alone these lines as well. I currently have Voom and Dish 501 in one room, with an OTA antenna going into VOOM. VOOM is being taken out in a few days. They will leave the line drops intact. DISH I have in 4 rooms. I will end up replacing DISH in all rooms, with the HD-TIVO in the room with VOOM. Will I need more lines dropped, or can DTV use my DISH and VOOM drops?

When I switched from DISH to Direct TV they used my existing Dish drops, so I would assume they can use yours.
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
PS3
Wii

#7 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:09 PM

The HDTivo will need two lines in, so if you have Voom (not sure how many lines into a Voom box) and a 501, you have at least two lines that can be used for the HDTivo. Regarding the other rooms of the house, a DirecTivo will need two lines to each box, so you might need additional lines depending on your configuration.

#8 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:38 PM

No, you really need to hook up all 4 coax from the dish to the multiswitch. Sorry

Thanks, for all the help. Everything went smoothly and the TIVO is up and running. Now if there was only a way to transfer shows from my STD TIVO to the HD TIVO.

Eichenberg
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
PS3
Wii

spam firewall