Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pondering the change from Dish to Direct TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:56 PM

Is there anyone in the Tulsa or OKC area that is using the HDTivo, getting the OTA's and are able to use the trick play functions (pause, record, etc.)for those OTA stations?

I'm currently using the dish 921 which I do like, but not being able to record 3 of the 4 networks from OTA is getting me frustrated. I'm getting great signal strength from all OTA stations, but I'm only able to record the FOX affiliate. Not the NBC, CBS & ABC affiliates.

Any help would be appricated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:18 PM

I also am considering moving back to D* around Christmas time however I have some questions about this whole Tivo thing. Say if I purchase the HR10-250 (I currently have the E* 811) do I have to pay that Tivo fee? Never have owned a Tivo. The DVR that comes with the E* equipment is perfectly OK by me. I really don’t care if I can’t search by name or what ever. I know what I want to record and I know when it is on so really don’t care to pay a monthly fee for that option. So do I have to pay a monthly Tivo fee or can I waive it but still have have basic recording functionality? Also, since D* is dumping Tivo, what exactly are they going to do in the future regarding recording devices? I really don’t want to drop a grand on an HR10-250 with Tivo and then 3 months later D* starts putting their own DVR in them. Any word on that? Thanks - Art

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:24 PM

D* is not "dumping" TiVo. It would appear that D* is positioning to have their own basic DVRs and TiVo being the 'deluxe' models.

I'm in the same boat of getting ready to dump E* for D*

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:25 PM

Short answer on the Tivo fee is no, you can't not pay it, unless you have Total Choice Platinum, then it's waived. BTW, D*'s Tivo fee is $4.99, not the $12.99 for a non-D* Tivo.

What's going to happen in the future is not clear, Yes, D* is going to come out with their own PVR's but no official specs have been released on their functionality.

Art, you say you don't need Tivo but once you use name based recording you'll love it. For example, You want ER recorded, if you used a E* box and had it set to record the same date/time every week you'd have the debate tonight, not ER. Tivo knows and doesn't record anything today. Or you like Big Brother, which tends to change dates and times during it's run, no problem, Tivo knows that it changed and records it correctly.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info. More to ponder....

#6 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:47 PM

I would have to agree with RAD. I've had E* for 8 or so years. Then I moved to a new house with many trees, so I had to go to cable. I had the stand alone tivo, for use with cable and the NBR is pretty cool. I since, cleared a few trees, (couldn't stand the quality of cable) and went back to E*. I would agree Art that if you know what you want to record and when, then it's not that big a deal. But when programming changes, or like NBC will run some episode that goes 5 or 10 minutes longer, Tivo knows it, and your not missing the end. Also, like mentioned above, ER won't be on because of the debates, so it won't record it.

I would like to know if the HD10-250 has any problems with the OTA program guides, and if it does record the OTA channels. As I mentioned above, the E* 921 isn't recording 3 of 4 of my important OTA's. If the HD10-250 will, then I'm going to switch.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:55 PM

I would have to agree with RAD. I've had E* for 8 or so years. Then I moved to a new house with many trees, so I had to go to cable. I had the stand alone tivo, for use with cable and the NBR is pretty cool. I since, cleared a few trees, (couldn't stand the quality of cable) and went back to E*. I would agree Art that if you know what you want to record and when, then it's not that big a deal. But when programming changes, or like NBC will run some episode that goes 5 or 10 minutes longer, Tivo knows it, and your not missing the end. Also, like mentioned above, ER won't be on because of the debates, so it won't record it.

I would like to know if the HD10-250 has any problems with the OTA program guides, and if it does record the OTA channels. As I mentioned above, the E* 921 isn't recording 3 of 4 of my important OTA's. If the HD10-250 will, then I'm going to switch.

I have a HD10-250 and the OTA works fine except for one broadcaster that messes around with PSIP. They should normally be using channel 26.1 for their main station and they should be using 26.2 for another station that they own but to save costs use a subchannel. The problem is they use PSIP to remap to channels 1.1 and 1.2, which really isn't valid according to the standards so the OTA guide doesn't show programming for 1.1 and 1.2. It does show the correct programming for 26.1 and 26.2 but the HR10-250 has a problem where it's shifting up by .1 so nothing is on 26.1 and 26.2 has 26.1 program. Clear as mud???? There's a thread on this issue and other threads on the HR10-250 over at www.tivocommunity.com. I've had my box since May and except for this problem and the missing logo issue, which was fixed a week or so ago by a download, it's been fine, even the HDMI output.

#8 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 06:01 PM

[quote name='RAD'] Clear as mud????

Yeah, I got it. Thanks for the info. I'm willing to dump E* and spend the $ if I was sure that in my area, I would have no problems with the OTA. I will wait until the next s.w. update and if it doesn't fix it and I do find out that D* would work, than I will make the change.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 06:58 PM

[quote name='tuckercom'][quote name='RAD'] Clear as mud????

Yeah, I got it. Thanks for the info. I'm willing to dump E* and spend the $ if I was sure that in my area, I would have no problems with the OTA. I will wait until the next s.w. update and if it doesn't fix it and I do find out that D* would work, than I will make the change.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a BestBuy/Circuit City near by where you can go try it out? I've seen te HR10-250 in the big box stores, so you can if they can tune in all your stations there before buying. If you do a self install I'd guess you could buy it, take it home and set it up without activating service and see how it tunes in. If not take it all back.

#10 OFFLINE   MikeHDTulsa

MikeHDTulsa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:27 PM

I get all the Tulsa digital channels on my HD TiVo and the guide data has been great for all the channels except for PBS but I think it is still in test mode. I had been with Dish Network for 5 years and switched to DirecTV in January and I have had my HD TiVo for at least 4 months and it has not missed a recording yet. You can pause, rewind, FF, frame by frame advance, and 30 second skip on the local HD channels just like the satellite channels and the picture looks great.

#11 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

"I get all the Tulsa digital channels on my HD TiVo and the guide data has been great for all the channels except for PBS but I think it is still in test mode. I had been with Dish Network for 5 years and switched to DirecTV in January and I have had my HD TiVo for at least 4 months and it has not missed a recording yet. You can pause, rewind, FF, frame by frame advance, and 30 second skip on the local HD channels just like the satellite channels and the picture looks great."

Great! Thanks for the insight. It is comforting to know that if I make the change, that it will work. As you are probably aware, we are struggling over here at E*.

Thanks again.

#12 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:54 PM

Struggling is an understatement Tuckercom. Of course if D* hadn't been such jerks 16 months ago about upgrading my 6 year old equipment I wouldn't even be having this conversation. And lets not even bring up the ugly wounds regarding D* abandoning those of us who bought into their forray into terrestrial DSL (what a debacle that was.) :mad:

#13 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

Do you have a BestBuy/Circuit City near by where you can go try it out? I've seen te HR10-250 in the big box stores, so you can if they can tune in all your stations there before buying. If you do a self install I'd guess you could buy it, take it home and set it up without activating service and see how it tunes in. If not take it all back.

That's a great idea. I'll go that route for now. Both Best Buy & Circuit City are here is Tulsa.

#14 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:09 AM

Good luck on finding one. Neither the BB or CC in Frisco (North Dallas) have them in stock. they say they are on back order. Perhaps you will have better luck than me.

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:18 AM

Good luck on finding one. Neither the BB or CC in Frisco (North Dallas) have them in stock. they say they are on back order. Perhaps you will have better luck than me.

The BB by me had 15 to 20 out on shelves the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised to see so many there on the shelves.

#16 OFFLINE   rpope02

rpope02

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:25 AM

No problems here from OKC, or my parents in Tulsa. We are able to record with no problem. I do know what you are talking about though becuase I did get a 921 to try and was not able to record OTA. E said it should be fixed in October with a software upgrade..I took it back, why send 1k on something that doesn't work. By the way, get rid of the flag! Go Pokes!

#17 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:19 PM

By the way, get rid of the flag! Go Pokes!

Great, an aggie. Well, thanks for your input. I think that I will make the change. I have seen a handful around here that isn't having any OTA problems with the HD10-250. Wish I had gone that route first.

#18 OFFLINE   JerryR

JerryR

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:48 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm..............I currently have D* (for nine years now - switching to E* this coming Weds. local channels issue) and a Sony Series 1 stand alone TiVo - it ALWAYS misses the ending if a program runs long - unless I safeguard and manually add minutes - and ALWAYS misses a "double run" such as when Will & Grace runs a double episode (set to record via Season Pass) it always misses the second episode immediately following the first. Is this a problem with a series one TiVo or a bug??

#19 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:40 PM

That's a new one to me. I never experienced that kind of problem. I had Tivo for 6 mths and I don't recall that ever happening.

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Keith

Alan Keith

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:21 PM

That's a great idea. I'll go that route for now. Both Best Buy & Circuit City are here is Tulsa.

I can save you some time shopping since our BB does not have a Directv working in the store and CC does not have any HDTIVO's is stock. They both seem to be clueless about what it takes to sell something.

spam firewall