Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pondering the change from Dish to Direct TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MikeHDTulsa

MikeHDTulsa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:17 PM

I ordered mine from Ultimate Electronics in Tulsa and I do not think they are stocking them yet. You might want to wait for them to have a 10% off sale and then just order it from them then. You could call the Oklahoma city BB, Circuit City, or Ultimate Electronics and see if any of them are stocking it yet. I would have just bought mine online but at that time I could not pass up the delivery date they were quoting. Have fun looking for your new toy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for all the info. I wll probably order online as I have checked with BB & CC which do not carry them in their store. I will check with Ultimate Electronics also. From everything I have read/researched, I REALLY wished I'd gone the D* route from day one.

#23 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:01 PM

Went and checked the BB in Plano and Mesquite. Both stores did not have the HR10-250 and the snotty pimply face kid in Plano glared at me like I was stupid and said that they were on back ordered and they probably wouldn't get any more in until after the first of the year....

#24 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:48 PM

Well I have ordered my hr10-250 from BB and it will be here Wednesday. I'm slowly going to make the leap to D*. I still have to get the dish and other SD tivo receivers to replace my E* receivers, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the change.

MikeHDTulsa, you have given me hope here in Tulsa. If I have problems, I'm coming after you!! :D

#25 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:59 AM

Just checked BB's web site. They say they have it in stock and available for shipment (1 to 2 days), $999.99. Hmmm, I don't have a balance on my BB store credit card......(I can hear my wife screaming form here!) :sure:

#26 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:07 AM

Hmmm, I don't have a balance on my BB store credit card......(I can hear my wife screaming form here!) :sure:

That's exactly my thoughts.

#27 OFFLINE   freakedout

freakedout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:10 PM

That's exactly my thoughts.

Especially with the over $299.00 24 months no interest financing.
It's Looking real good and I have not even bought my hdtv yet.

John

#28 OFFLINE   MikeHDTulsa

MikeHDTulsa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:45 PM

Tuckercom,

Call DirecTV and tell them you are thinking of switching from Dish Network and see if they can give you some account credits to offset the cost of the HD DVR. I have heard of them giving a none DVR HD receiver to a Dish Network customer to get them to switch over and thats worth about $299.00 but if your not so lucky you should be able to get about a $150.00 credit if you can find the right CSR. I think you will be glad you made the switch to DirecTV I know I use the dual tuners all the time which is a great step up from the Dish Network 508.

#29 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:40 AM

Tuckercom,

Call DirecTV and tell them you are thinking of switching from Dish Network and see if they can give you some account credits to offset the cost of the HD DVR. I have heard of them giving a none DVR HD receiver to a Dish Network customer to get them to switch over and thats worth about $299.00 but if your not so lucky you should be able to get about a $150.00 credit if you can find the right CSR. I think you will be glad you made the switch to DirecTV I know I use the dual tuners all the time which is a great step up from the Dish Network 508.

I will do that. I have to replace two other receivers, a dish 508 & 311, plus the dish. I wanted to get the HR10-250 in my hands first via BB which is being delivered today. Then I will work on DirecTV for credits for getting additional receivers. Thanks for the info.

#30 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:52 AM

I called Directv and, unfortunately, my name is still in their database. I was told to "inquire about the options available for our former customers wanting to reconnect..." Oh well. I'll start working on the wife this weekend about switching. This should take about 2 months...... :rolleyes:

#31 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:16 PM

The BB by me had 15 to 20 out on shelves the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised to see so many there on the shelves.

You mentioned that BB has them in stock. Are you in Dallas? I got mine delivered from BB yesterday, and it appeared to have been opened and then resealed. I'm sending it back but I will be traveling to Dallas this weekend and thought if you had seen them in stock, I would buy it when I'm in town.

#32 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,177 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:28 AM

Now that I'm working again, my Dishplayer is on borrowed time. Starting to save up for the D* HDTiVo setup.

#33 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:23 PM

Hey Tuckercom. Well drive save making that drive south. No, there are no receivers down here. Looks like the BB web site is the only option. Beat the hell outta t.u.....

#34 OFFLINE   MikeHDTulsa

MikeHDTulsa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:47 PM

The Best Buy in Tulsa finally received their first HD TiVo's I was in there today and they had two of them on the shelf. Tuckercom if you hurry down there you might be able to get one and they still have the factory seal on the box.

#35 OFFLINE   tuckercom

tuckercom

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:18 PM

The Best Buy in Tulsa finally received their first HD TiVo's I was in there today and they had two of them on the shelf. Tuckercom if you hurry down there you might be able to get one and they still have the factory seal on the box.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I went there this morning and got one of the two they had left. I will be sending the first one back to BB Tuesday.

Bavaria72- thanks also for the heads up in Dallas. I didn't even worry about it once I got down there. Game was great.

#36 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:11 PM

No sweat. Now as long as you don't do that well against A&M!....(wishful thinking!)

spam firewall