Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Could a short in the phone line cause the HD-TIVO to reboot?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffcarp

jeffcarp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:53 AM

I came home one day to find that a locked up receiver that was completely unresponsive. The only thing I could do was unplug it and plug it back in. It would boot and operate fine. But every day, at various times, when I would turn my system on, I would fine "snow" on the DVI input and the unit again completely locked up. Unplug and plug back in was all that would work. I stopped using the DVI port and switched to 1080i over component video. Same thing, except instead of snow, I could see the screen stuck on the "Powering up screen." This tells me that something is causing my HD Tivo to reboot. It had happened at least once a day for about 6 days.

At first I thought it might be related to 3.1.5D-01-2-357 software. However, DirecTV shipped me a replacement HD Tivo and the replacement with 3.1.5 software did the same thing.

We are building an addition and last night I discovered that my phone wiring was installed from my phone distribution block, but was not yet terminated at the phone jack. The wires were all twisted together. Now, they weren't stripped such that copper was touching, but they were very closely twisted, such that I am sure that they cold arc together at times if the conditions were right.

I terminated those phone jacks last night and have not yet experienced the problem again. So, for a short question after a long explanation.....do you think it is possible that a quick arc on an unterminated phone line could cause the HD Tivo to reboot?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...