Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bad SD picture quality

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bob Pav

Bob Pav

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:52 PM

I just hooked up my 921. Dish 500, OTA Antenna, Sony 42" LCD. I used the DVI connection and the optical audio. I set the display to 1080i and 16:9. The OTA and Dish HDTV channels come in great I've never had HD hooked to this TV and I'm very impressed. But the regular satellite channels are not too good, I got way better results from my 7100 Dishplayer. Help! I don't want to send it back, but I should get better quality.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:36 PM

I just hooked up my 921. Dish 500, OTA Antenna, Sony 42" LCD. I used the DVI connection and the optical audio. I set the display to 1080i and 16:9. The OTA and Dish HDTV channels come in great I've never had HD hooked to this TV and I'm very impressed. But the regular satellite channels are not too good, I got way better results from my 7100 Dishplayer. Help! I don't want to send it back, but I should get better quality.

What is it that is not too good about the SD video for the regular satellite channels?

#3 OFFLINE   Bob Pav

Bob Pav

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:57 PM

The SD channels seem fuzzy, grainy or out of focus, no depth. The OTA SD Digital locals are better than the satellite SD locals. The OTA SD Digital locals just seem more vivid, clear, crisp.

#4 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:02 PM

The SD channels seem fuzzy, grainy or out of focus, no depth. The OTA SD Digital locals are better than the satellite SD locals. The OTA SD Digital locals just seem more vivid, clear, crisp.

Thanks for the response. I experience the same. I will admit, the 921 SD outputs provide a better picture via the s-video than do the component or DVI. I have noticed that on some satellite channels, the picture is much better than on others. I believe that this is due to variations in the compression of the digital signal. Watching the SD signals on my OTA channels are much better than SD satellite.

#5 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:25 PM

boylehome is right - the bigger the screen, the more it shows compression artifacts.

Have you tried using a downrez output of the 921 - just for comparison?
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:41 PM

Passing the SD signals through not upconverted via svideo or composite video will make them look like they do via your 7100. Upconverting them tends to make them look softer, and makes the compression artifacts much more noticible.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#7 OFFLINE   Bob Pav

Bob Pav

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:50 PM

You're right the SD Satellite channels look better when using the S-Video output. Is this something that can be fixed with future updates? It is not very user friendly to watch the SD on one video input on my TV and HD on another.

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:07 PM

It's a result of upconverting an already highly compressed signal, so no there's not much that can be done about it. All HD receivers suffer from this.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#9 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:46 PM

You're right the SD Satellite channels look better when using the S-Video output. Is this something that can be fixed with future updates? It is not very user friendly to watch the SD on one video input on my TV and HD on another.

I think Bob that about the only thing that can be done, is manual adjustments to your monitor. Keep in mind that DVI/RGB is intended for superior video. SD, less than perfect is just going to look poorer. Personally, using DVI and watching SD, I notice the imperfections, and I really don't like them. I just don't get used to these imperfections. The future will be better once more channels are actually in HD.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:59 PM

I usually perfer my sd channels in 480p which looks better than in 1080i. My ota channels and hd channels look great in 1080i. Most of my tv watching is in 480p.

#11 OFFLINE   Bob Pav

Bob Pav

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:56 PM

Now that I've experienced HD in my own home I'm addicted! I want more HDTV!

#12 OFFLINE   pad971

pad971

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:38 AM

Here is a dumb question that is sort of related...

Is it okay to have multiple connection between the 921 and the TV, e.g. simultaneous S-Video and DVI and switch between them as desired or can that cause any sort of electrical problems (e.g. ghosting, current loops, etc?)

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:45 AM

Yes, that's how I have mine set up - component out for HD, svideo out for SD.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#14 OFFLINE   Bob Pav

Bob Pav

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:34 AM

That's how I've got mine hooked-up. HD via DVI, SD via S-Video. The only problem is my TV requires seperate inputs for S-Video and DVI so my SD is on Video 1 and my HD is on Video 7.

#15 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:45 AM

There's no mystery going on here. Most STBs, cable, sat or otherwise have fairly poor scalers. They work fine with HD, but are fairly blah with SD. That isn't always true with displays. While many displays use the same subpar scaler chipsets as many STBs, there are a fair number that use scalers that are much nicer. However, all the neat things your scaler may be able to do to improve an SD picture from S-video, and even component video are typically bypassed when using DVI. So while DVI may be the best transport, in most cases it's only going to look as good as the source hardware.

You may wish to check out Component video inputs. It may be an acceptable inbetween for your display. Otherwise you're options are switching inputs, or getting an external video scaler that will work with DVI video (VERY expensive).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...