Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sweep Test Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:11 AM

I have approx 250' of Belden 9246 RG6 coax that I would like to use to complete an install, but I can not find and info regarding the sweep test rating, I have checked the Belden web site and cannot find this cable listed, I no longer have the original box and was looking for suggestion on how to determine if this particular cable is adequate to use for a Superdish install from the DP34 to the receivers, approx 75' in length.

Thanks
Bob

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   red hazard

red hazard

Legend

• Gold Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:07 PM

I have approx 250' of Belden 9246 RG6 coax that I would like to use to complete an install, but I can not find and info regarding the sweep test rating, I have checked the Belden web site and cannot find this cable listed, I no longer have the original box and was looking for suggestion on how to determine if this particular cable is adequate to use for a Superdish install from the DP34 to the receivers, approx 75' in length.

Thanks
Bob

Apparently it's discontinued. I doubt you will have problems with only a 75' run of coax. Not being swept to at least 2.2 Ghz (E* DP requirement) means that there could be more loss at the higher frequencies as compared to a so-called cable swept to 2.2 Ghz or higher. One experienced installer in this forum, mike500, insists that it doesn't matter. I would give it a shot but be advised that generally it's recommended that Rg6 in DSS applications have at least 60% shielding in the coax. Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:28 PM

I found this on the Belden website

Belden sweep tested to 450 MHz. In the mid - 1980s, we increased testing to 550 MHz. And in the late 1980s, sweep testing to 750 MHz had become the norm. In this same fashion, Belden sweep tests to 1 GHz for the Broadband Industry to adequately serve its market in the 90s.

The cable I have is from the 2001 era so I feel confident that it will work, now if it ever stops raining from ts Matthew I can complete my install

Bob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...