Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Got FOXHD today but...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:01 PM

I am getting the game on 88 (Boston at NY) in HD with surround sound. The "who's your daddy" cheer is cracking me up. Would be nice if 89 was the Houston at St.L game! So will we be getting football sunday on 88 (have ST but local fox digital broadcast is a joke)?
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   explosivo

explosivo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:01 PM

He also mentioned and this is funny.. I don't get channel on my TV here. Then I ask, Sir is that a HD receiver? He said Yes and I'm like can you check your guide? So he does and says no channel 88 Sir.. Then I was can you please unplug your receiver and do a reset of the box. HAHHAHAHAAHA He got pissed, He said Sir there is no need for that.

#23 OFFLINE   explosivo

explosivo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:12 PM

Dammit Ereek!!!

He said Sir the reason you can get this in HD is because the Affiliate where you live doesn't Own or Operate the Station. There was some Joker in the Background helping him out. Probably Dave himself. Why would he do this. I mean the devil himself. Hmm... okay, but this doesn't explain why I get NBC-HD E/W and CBS-HD E/W I LIVE IN THE DAMN BOONIES! I have waivers for all the locals NBC ABC FOX CBS. Please LORD Help!

#24 Guest_TokyoVD_*

Guest_TokyoVD_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:14 PM

Explosivo, if you get talk some sense into them, it would help us all, but my holding out for hope is fading....

#25 Guest_TokyoVD_*

Guest_TokyoVD_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:23 PM

I was just told by another CSR that the reason we are not seeing the signal is that any non-O&O market is not getting the signal (despite having waivers in place). I don't understand why but San Francisco is not an O&O market according to this CSR. Finally, someone sounds half competent.

#26 OFFLINE   explosivo

explosivo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:26 PM

It's over.. I guess Ereek didn't know what the hell was going on. The slugfest is over and I lost, I'm battered and bruised no success. Please stop the pain? Anyone?

I hate this crap. He is basically telling me that when we do get FOXHD full-time I won't be able to see Football cause of this same reason. That Blows! That's if we get FOX-HD full-time during the football season. I guess I will get ST for half the season if they offer it. Which brings me to another question, How about regular FOX programming on HD?

#27 OFFLINE   Zach2

Zach2

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:41 PM

I'm getting not available in my area?! WHY!

#28 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:43 PM

the game is only available to people in a fox owned market

#29 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

Read through this ever growing thread on AVS forum.
http://www.avsforum....threadid=457622
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#30 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:00 AM

San Francisco is not an Owned and Operated station. KTVU is owned by cox.
Bobby C

#31 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:41 PM

I live 60 miles west of DC. It worked last night. I must say that I was not overly impressed with the picture. It was not the vast improvement over SD that I have seen in football, hockey or basketball.

#32 OFFLINE   GutBomb

GutBomb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:26 PM

I live 60 miles west of DC. It worked last night. I must say that I was not overly impressed with the picture. It was not the vast improvement over SD that I have seen in football, hockey or basketball.

that sums up HD in general for me. sure the picture looks a little nicer. is it worth the thousands spent to be an early adopter when there's virtually no content and the content that is there takes acts of congress to actually receive? for me my answer was "no".

#33 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:27 PM

that sums up HD in general for me. sure the picture looks a little nicer. is it worth the thousands spent to be an early adopter when there's virtually no content and the content that is there takes acts of congress to actually receive? for me my answer was "no".

People keep talking about no HD content. It definitely applies to people who are in rural areas without OTA or Sat access to HD, but I record the following:

Monday - 2.5 hours
Tuesday - 2 hours
Wednesday - 4.5 hours
Thursday - 2.5 hours
Friday - 3 hours

That's 14.5 hours of Network HD (just to be clear - CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB) a week. There is only a total of 2.5 hours of additional Network programming I watch per week that is not HD. For me, that's a lot of content and well worth the investment.

#34 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:22 PM

No waivers for FOXHD or CBSHD being given down here either.

I understand if there is no sensible answer to this question but I have to ask: if all they're showing is the game in HD, then why block the channel? :nono2:

#35 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 06:44 PM

It seems that DNS subs are getting the game tonight, but didn't last night.
See this thread on AVS.
http://www.avsforum....threadid=457754
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#36 Guest_TokyoVD_*

Guest_TokyoVD_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:02 PM

We are getting the game in HD (picture on 88 & 89).

#37 OFFLINE   ImmerTech

ImmerTech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:22 PM

I understand if there is no sensible answer to this question but I have to ask: if all they're showing is the game in HD, then why block the channel? :nono2:

Because they want you to watch your local commercials as opposed to the New York and L.A. commercials. In order to sell local advertising the locals need to be able to say that the only way you can watch the game is by watching their channel.

This unfortunately means that if you live in a area that is to far away from your local to get the HD feed and your local is being a jerk about waivers then you are screwed.

- ImmerTech

#38 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:28 AM

Picture quality was vastly improved last night.....

#39 OFFLINE   GutBomb

GutBomb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

People keep talking about no HD content. It definitely applies to people who are in rural areas without OTA or Sat access to HD, but I record the following:

Monday - 2.5 hours
Tuesday - 2 hours
Wednesday - 4.5 hours
Thursday - 2.5 hours
Friday - 3 hours

That's 14.5 hours of Network HD (just to be clear - CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB) a week. There is only a total of 2.5 hours of additional Network programming I watch per week that is not HD. For me, that's a lot of content and well worth the investment.

I said "virtually" no content. If those 14 hours of TV were ONLY broadcast in HD then yeah I could see how it could START to be worth the money, but they are not. I imagine that since all those shows are on the major networks that some of them are just up-converted, and others that aren't are also broadcast in regular SD at the same time. The shows I watch are rarely in HD and the ones that are are mostly just up-converted stuff that looks the same as it would on a nice SD set. I don't find that being able to see the makeup flaking on the face of the lawyer on Law and Order: SVU that compelling of a reason for me to adopt HDTV. Sure the picture is nice, but it's not so nice that it makes SD unwatchable for me. Then on top of that there is the wife factor. How am I going to justify $700 for a 32" TV that will have a slightly better picture than our $300 set. on top of that, to keep the same level of functionality I have with my DirecTV DVR with Tivo I have to plunk down another $1000 for a new DVR? and an extra $10 on the bill per month for some HD channels? Oh and we'll need a new entertainment system since the TV is wider (note I love the fact that things are moving to a wider screen. that's not a complaint. just an added expense). Totally not worth it.

I love soccer and when I lived in minnesota I got the Explorer 8000HD (a digital cable box with DVR built in and HD reception) I was able to watch HD channels on an SDTV. I got it specifically for the purpose of getting HDNet because they showed some american soccer games exclusively. I loved having access to those games, but the rest of the channel was just unwatchable crap, not because of the picture quality, just because the content was so lacking. None of the current HD channels grab me enough to actually upgrade. Voom's WorldSport HD comes close, but all the soccer they show on there is also available in SD as well and I have access to them.

I can't be the only one that's tired of HDTV. I'll jump on the bandwagon when prices come down to where SD sets are at right now, but until then I won't bother.

#40 Guest_wemetzger_*

Guest_wemetzger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:57 PM

Virtually no content? And he records 15 hours a week? I would guess I record 10+ hours a week. Maybe you watch a ton a TV... but for me 10-15 hours a week is enough, plenty, substantial, a fair amount... but is certaintly not "virtually no content."

And yes, it is expensive. But TV's were expensive 40 years ago too. For me, a house is expensive. So, to make the room of the house where I spend the most awake hours to be pleasant by spending 1% of the house, I don't mind the cost-- especially when you move/ need to rebuild your system from the ground up/ replace old/broken equiptment. But to buy a new Tv for $500 instead if $1000 or $2000.. A TV, that you spend 10 hours a week with for the next 5 years.. It is not a hard decision for me.

But of course there are other things you can spend the money on... but being a member of dbstalk.. I would think this would be a higher priority.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...