Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A bit of advice for RV please?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   whuffo

whuffo

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:36 PM

Currently we have Dish at home with a DVR and 2 other receivers. In our RV we have a Dish receiver also. Our home is in the Dallas area and we received the Dallas locals anywhere we went until recently when they converted Dallas locals to a spotbeam. The only downside of using Dish for our RV is that the sat dish is mounted on the RV can only see one bird at a time. The manufacturer has no plans to allow upgrades to a multi bird dish like the Dish 500. Therefore we have to switch back and forth between 119 and 110 depending on which program we wish to watch. It's not a big deal but a bit inconvenient. Our friend had D on his RV and gets everything from one sat. So that sounds like a simpler deal.

So, I went to the D web site and find that it said that they won't let you just have an extra receiver for $5 in your RV the way that Dish does. They want you to pay a full charge for the RV receiver as if you had a separate account. I called the D 800 number and the lady I spoke to said that there was no problem with activating a receiver in an RV. Just the $5 charge for an extra receiver. She assured me all would be ok even after I told her what the web site said.

Which is correct? Is the web site out of date or was the customer service rep misinformed? Can I add an RV receiver to a home account for $5 a month or do I have to pay a full additonal charge as if I had 2 separate accounts. If I have to to the latter, I'll just stay with Dish and put up with switching the RV dish between the 110 and 119 sats.

Thanks for your advice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:00 PM

Go to this page:

http://www.directv.c...ns_vehicles.dsp

You can take it with you. You may loose your locals if you go too far though, which is why they allow you to have a distants package The best thing is just no tell them, and take it with you anyway. Many people do that with no problems.

#3 OFFLINE   Jasonbp

Jasonbp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:38 PM

Yes, you can add another reciver for $5 a month, you can just buy one and just have it turned on a fews days (or a week) when you head out in your RV. Then just have it turned off when your back home.

Or just pull a receiver from a room in your house and take it with you. My wife and I did this when we went camping this summer. D* won't know.
[url="http://www.illwillpress.com/"][/url]

#4 OFFLINE   beejaycee

beejaycee

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:55 AM

FWIW, I also had Dishnetwork and switched to DirecTV. Before I switched, I e-mailed D* and explained to them my setup : 2 receivers in the house and 1 receiver in the motorhome, all on 1 account. I explained that I would not switch if I needed a second account just for the motorhome. The return e-mail from D* was very nice and told me that I could just add a receiver to the RV for $5 but because there was no phone line, I couldn't order PPVs with it . During all telephone calls with CSRs, the installer, and Expert Satellite (who I bought my equipment from), I repeated that I was putting one receiver in my RV. They were all very nice about that and had no problem with it once they understood (they were trying to warm me that I would need a 4X8 switch to put two TiVos and a regular receiver in my home). On my D* bill, it even lists the locations of my receivers as "den, bedroom, RV."

I've been with D* for a year and am quite happy.

#5 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:23 AM

On my D* bill, it even lists the locations of my receivers as "den, bedroom, RV."

I have often wondered why this was an question by D, when I was a customer before I switched to Dish whenever I called they would always ask the location of the receivers, one day I swapped them, sometime later I called cs for some reason, and they asked me which receiver by location and smart card number, the response was that receiver should be in the lr not the br, why is this such an issue with them,

Bob

#6 OFFLINE   whuffo

whuffo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:08 AM

Jasonbp and beejaycee,

I understand that I can slap a receiver in the RV but I guess the real question is can I do that AND get distant networks (by filing an RV waiver) without having two full account charges. Do you folks get distant nets? The web page linked by larrystoler above is the one that states that 2 full charges are required not just $5 per month. And that issue is the only rub. Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   Jasonbp

Jasonbp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

wuffo,

I don't use distant networks, I don't go far enough for it, I don't head far enough away when I go camping, I can still get my locals from D*.

I think the page larrystoler gave is correct. You would need two accounts.
[url="http://www.illwillpress.com/"][/url]

#8 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:28 AM

On my D* bill, it even lists the locations of my receivers as "den, bedroom, RV."

I have often wondered why this was an question by D, when I was a customer before I switched to Dish whenever I called they would always ask the location of the receivers, one day I swapped them, sometime later I called cs for some reason, and they asked me which receiver by location and smart card number, the response was that receiver should be in the lr not the br, why is this such an issue with them,

Bob

Be cause they use the phone line to make sure it is in your home, and because they want to make sure you have all your receivers and are not pirating.

#9 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:29 AM

wuffo,

I don't use distant networks, I don't go far enough for it, I don't head far enough away when I go camping, I can still get my locals from D*.

I think the page larrystoler gave is correct. You would need two accounts.

No, you need 1 account with an RV waiver so that you don't have to have the phone line connected. Done this for many subs with no problems.

#10 OFFLINE   whuffo

whuffo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:00 PM

No, you need 1 account with an RV waiver so that you don't have to have the phone line connected. Done this for many subs with no problems.

So just to make sure that I am correct on what you are saying: I can have a home system, a receiver in the RV that gets distant nets thru the RV waiver, and only be charged $5 per month instead of a complete extra charge as the web page states? Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:22 PM

As far as I know, yes. That is the purpose of the RV waiver, howeve, since you are using the account in your home as well, you may have to pay for boths sets of networks. call a good D* dealler and ask it the best bet.

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,774 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:30 PM

From what I've heard, if you have receivers in your RV and house, you will only get the DNS on the receivers in the RV. So all you have to do is tell them that you have 2 receivers in your RV (living room/bedroom) and one in the house, then take the receivers out of the RV and put them in the house and you'll get your DNS in your house too. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:23 AM

Bob

It's really very simple. The receiver list comes up with two identifiers-the access card and the room location. By asking which room the receiver is located in, the CSR doesn't have to make you pull the access card out of the receiver every time he or she needs to know what make and model of receiver it is, or which access card to send signals to.

#14 OFFLINE   beejaycee

beejaycee

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:02 AM

Jasonbp and beejaycee,

I understand that I can slap a receiver in the RV but I guess the real question is can I do that AND get distant networks (by filing an RV waiver) without having two full account charges. Do you folks get distant nets? The web page linked by larrystoler above is the one that states that 2 full charges are required not just $5 per month. And that issue is the only rub. Thanks.

Sorry, whuffo. I no longer get the distant nets since D* has my locals and I seldom get out of my spotbeam when camping so I can't speak from firsthand experience. :confused:
I do know that people have done as you want and the distants are on ONLY on the RV receiver(s), not all of the receivers like DishNetwork does. According to these people when I asked, they have only one account covering all receivers.

#15 OFFLINE   whuffo

whuffo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

Thanks to all for your help.

#16 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:55 PM

So just to make sure that I am correct on what you are saying: I can have a home system, a receiver in the RV that gets distant nets thru the RV waiver, and only be charged $5 per month instead of a complete extra charge as the web page states? Thanks.

No. Here is how it works (assuming you want to do it the legal and legitimate way):

Want the LA/NY networks in both your home and the RV? Your physical address must qualify for the networks using the address method, or recieve waivers from the local affiliates. The RV waiver process doesn't apply to services in your home, even if the RV is on the same account. Then you will get all of the same programming in the RV that you have in your home (with the possible exception of the local networks if you leave the spotbeam area).

Want the LA/NY networks in just your home? Your physical address must qualify for the networks using the address method, or recieve waivers from the local affiliates.

Want the LA/NY networks in just your RV? You must fill out the RV paperwork for the networks, and the RV must be billed separately for all programming on your account. The RV waiver doesn't grant you permission for the networks in your home.

So, basically, the RV waiver process only applies if you only want services in an RV. If you have an RV and your home on the same account, the usual address qualification system required by SHVIA applies.

#17 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:05 PM

Quote from the "Mobile Vehicle Affidavit Declaration of Intent":

I attest that the satellite antenna to be used to receive this programming is attached to, and the system reciever is located in, this vehicle (which is a motor vehicle or commercial truck and not a boat or any other kind of marine vessel), and is not intended for use in a fixed dwelling residence. I understand that the misuse of this equipment will result in the termination of my Distant Network Service programming and could lead to legal action taken against me.

Right on the affidavit (did you read it?) it states that the Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent is not to be used to get the Distant Networks in a "fixed dwelling residence". Sounds pretty clear to me!

#18 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,774 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 October 2004 - 12:19 AM

Oh its clear.......but whats going to keep someone from taking the receiver out of the RV and put it in their home? Nothing! D* isn't going to know where the receiver is at all times. Now I'm not saying this is right, but I'm just saying....... :)

#19 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 12:41 AM

Nothing is preventing you from moving the reciever from the RV to the home, but if you have the RV mirrored onto the home acct, then what I said previously applies:

Want the LA/NY networks in both your home and the RV? Your physical address must qualify for the networks using the address method, or recieve waivers from the local affiliates. The RV waiver process doesn't apply to services in your home, even if the RV is on the same account. Then you will get all of the same programming in the RV that you have in your home (with the possible exception of the local networks if you leave the spotbeam area).

So if you send in the waivers to get the services in the RV, and then move the reciever into your home, you would still be paying full price for that reciever and the other rooms wouldn't get the distant networks anyway.

Now I'm not saying this is right, but I'm just saying.......

Of course it's not right, and the Affidavit says:

and is not intended for use in a fixed dwelling residence. I understand that the misuse of this equipment will result in the termination of my Distant Network Service programming and could lead to legal action taken against me.

If you feel getting those networks is worth the risk of possible prosecution, then that is your choice.

#20 OFFLINE   whuffo

whuffo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:55 PM

Just to be clear about my original intent. I can get local networks for my house, no problem. I don't want the NY/LA nets there. I wanted to get the NY/LA distant nets only for the RV so that I could get the networks while traveling. And I hoped to be able to do it with the only additional charges to my regular home bill being the $5 receiver charge for the RV receiver plus the charge for the NY/LA nets. Sorry for not being more clear.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...