Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D* Installation Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nolzman

Nolzman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:52 AM

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I am a current E* customer that is switching to D*, mainly because of the HR10-250 HD TIVO. I really want the ability to record HD (both satellite and OTA). I also want dual satellite and OTA tuners, and HD TIVO is the only unit that will give me that. I ordered the equipment from Value Electronics (HD TIVO, SD TIVO and a third room with a regular receiver.

Has anyone had any experience with the installer they (Value Electronics) use in NW Atlanta? I have read some horror stories (not about their installer, just in general) and I would like to know what to expect.

Also, I because of the 3-room installed I had to order a 5 X 8 multiswitch from them. I am not sure I fully understand how a multi-switch works. I know I need five lines out 2= HD TIVO, 2= SD TIVO, and 1 regular receiver. I also know that only four lines can come out of the LNB. My question is how many lines are needed for the mulit-switch to output 5 signals. By this I mean, how many lines in are required minimally, and if different, how many lines would be optimal for best performance, and why?

The reason I ask is that I have 3 lines currently running from my E* dish in the back yard to the house. These are good runs, buried underground, and I would like to not have to dig them up and add another line, if it is not necessary.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 05:36 AM

You need 4 connections between the satellite dish and the multiswitch. If necessary, you could utilize 3 coax cables for this by using a stacker on the two signals from the 101° LNB to combine them into one cable and destack them before they enter the multiswitch. It would cost you just under $300 in parts to do this. Look at the description of stacking the signals from the 18" dish at http://www.9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm ; this is what you'd do, even though you're using the Phase III 3-LNB dish.

A DirecTV multiswitch makes available any of a given number of LNB signals to each receiver. Each output of the multiswitch receives a voltage and/or 22kHz tone from the tuner connected to it to identify which of the signals the tuner is asking for (actually now with the satellite at 72.5° and 95°, there's a few additional potential signals a receiver could ask for, but it works on the same principle).
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#3 OFFLINE   Nolzman

Nolzman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the response. But I think I've decided to go ahead and have the installer run four new lines from the Direct dish and a new line from the roof-top antenna without any breaks into the multi-switch. The run the necessary five lines out. In my current, configuration I have a couple of joins, and at least on diplexor. Hopefully, in combination with the more sensitive tuner on the HD TIVO, my OTA signal will improve on my marginal channels.

spam firewall