Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Optical or Coaxial

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:35 PM

Are there any differences in Digital Opitcal or Coaxial? It seems like most DVD players I have looked at have coaxial outputs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Godfather

• Gold Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:38 PM

I was just looking into that myself. Most say that there is little to no difference until you run into long runs. If side by side, the digital coaxial is just as good as optical and you can reuse any RCA cables for it. Audiophiles may claim uniqueness but as far as getting a DTS signal from my DVD to my receiver and sound great - no problems so far today.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

For digital coax, you should use a video grade (RG59 or better) RCA cable, rather than one of the little tiny RCA audio cables. Other than that, there's no such thing as a specialty digital coax cable.

As for which is better, I don't hear any difference between the two, so use whichever is more convenient.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:02 PM

Fiber is more fragile then coax especially regarding bend radius, but once it's ran it likely doesn't get moved much. It is also immune to stray RF noise. This likely isn't too much of a problem as if there was enough to cause problems on a coax run, all your other cables likely would be having problems.

You probably see coax more often on cheaper DVD players as it saves a few cents in production costs. An RCA jack is cheaper to make then a fiber jack.

#5 OFFLINE   dhomoney

dhomoney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:38 AM

Remember folks, this is for digital audio, if the bitstream gets their, then there is absolutely no difference between fiber and RCA. Fiber's advantage is in its potential for long runs and it isn't affected by RF, that said if you get a signal to your receiver it will be the same either way.

#6 OFFLINE   hometheaterman

hometheaterman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:41 AM

I use coaxial but my dvd player and reciever have both. I am using some Monster Cable Digital Audio Coax cable from my DVD player and another one from my CD player to my reciever but People say monster cable is a rip off which I don't know if it is any better than any other cable but does work ok.

#7 OFFLINE   dhomoney

dhomoney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:13 PM

Well the reason they say it is a ripoff, especially for digital audio, is that there is no difference in the signal between them and a walmart brand. The reason for this is it is digital, ones and zeros, and if you get sound out of your speakers you are getting the signal. Now for analog stuff you can get a warping of the signal.

#8 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:16 PM

The advantage to fiber is that it doesn't have an electrical connection. Helps avoid ground loops. Till we have fiber video, etc it means nothing though

spam firewall