Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question About Dvd Sound Quality

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:36 AM

I have what I would consider a pretty good sound system hooked up to my home theater. Without going into all the specifics, my video components (SAT tuner, DVDplayer) are hooked via optical audio cable to a Sony AV receiver which I am quite happy with. Recently I swapped out mt Sony DVD player for a Zenith DVB-318 1080i output DVD player. I don't have the Sony model# in front of me now, but it's a progressive scan which I bought about 1-1/2 years ago. At the time is was one of the top of the line single disc players that Sony had out. Maybe it's my imagination, but the sound from the Zenith doesn't quite seem as good as the Sony was. Does the DVD player itself have anything to do with the final sound quality after it is sent and decoded in the AV receiver? Ant thoughts?
EAGLES

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:47 PM

Yes it does. Over at AVSForum someone asked the same question about the DVD Shootout, where they compare Video but don't mention much about the audio side. I noticed this big time when I went to DVD. My old Denon CD player rocked! The sound quality was outstanding but after I went to DVD, it seemed like the audio quality went way downhill. It seems fine for movies, but CD are definitely lacking. My DVD player is not a cheap one, either, it was one of the first Progressives on the market and cost over $1K brand new. I notice the same thing on my Panasonic DVD recorder, the CD sound is lacking compared to the old Denon.

The DAC's in DVD players vary widely so the handling of the signal once it's in your player is a crapshoot.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...