Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

splitting the signal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   console

console

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

Dumb question #42:

My HD TIVO needs 2 feeds from the 3 LNB dish. I now have 1 feed (+antenna). Why can't I simply split the 1 feed I now have and send to 2 inputs on rear of unit? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 05:26 PM

You need a special switch to do this, not a splitter because sats use voltage, not rf like a simple switch so the receiver and lnb will not talk to each other correctly.

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 05:32 PM

The receiver has to select either the odd or even transponders from the dish or multiswitch. Only the odd or even are available at any one time. So if you split the cable, one tuner may want the odds and the other tuner the evens. Thus it won't work. In fact, there is a possibility that you could damage one or both receivers if you split the cable.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:31 PM

I don't know why they haven't made a usuable "splitter" that could accomplish this. A friend of mine has a dual tuner Tivo and has never hooked up the second tuner because their dish is so far from the house due to trees, it is not easy to run a second cable from the dish. A splitter with the 1 existing wire coming to the living room would be helpful.

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:27 PM

IMHO, I can never understand why an installation doesn't include as many cables run that the dish can support. Makes future changes so much easier.

Link, in your friend's case, he could stack the signal at the dish and then destack at the house. Assuming the dish has a dual LNB of course.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   console

console

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for your help, gentemen. I will not attempt to split the signal.

Question #43: Does anyone know a competent installer (NS Long Island NY) that can run a separate line from my 3LNB dish to HD-TIVO (it's a tough run). I am also told I will need to replace my "4-way" multi-switch with an "8-way" multiswitch ... which I am told will cost $150 + running the second line (about $125). Even though I only have 3 locations I have Satellite + Antenna running to each so I need the larger capacity switch. OK to PM me on contact info. Thank you.

#7 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:18 PM

Many of the motel head ends I work on were equipped with high-frequency power-splitters to divide the dish signal to the receivers. On a one-dish system there are only two polarities to worry about. One is on the 13volt line and the other is on the 17volt line. Many of the common basic channels are on the same polarity, which means that you can use a splitter to run two or more receivers. Just be sure to use a splitter that only allows power to run through one leg. You will see a line on the splitter label showing which leg carries the voltage from the 'master' receiver. There should be no damage, so long as you use a power-splitter, which isolates the voltage to one leg.
This scenario will not allow all of the channels to be tuned, and you will have to test the second signal to see if the polarity allows reception, based on the channel of the first tuner. DTV occasionally will change the transponder assignment of the programs, which might change your allowable combinations from time to time. They just moved some of them last weekend, which resulted in a lot of service calls to redirect the signal inputs to affected receivers. I was able to sell several 16-ch multi-switches to prevent this problem from happening to them again.

#8 Guest_PaulArking_*

Guest_PaulArking_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:27 PM

Does anyone know a competent installer (NS Long Island NY) that can run a separate line from my 3LNB dish to HD-TIVO (it's a tough run). I am also told I will need to replace my "4-way" multi-switch with an "8-way" multiswitch ... which I am told will cost $150 + running the second line (about $125). Even though I only have 3 locations I have Satellite + Antenna running to each so I need the larger capacity switch. OK to PM me on contact info. Thank you.

I had a similar situation, but found that it was MUCH cheaper to just buy a new dish with installation from Circuit City, rather than pay >$200 for an 8-way plus installation. So, now I have two dishes on my roof to support all my inputs. This works out better anyway, because if one dish goes down, the other still works.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...