Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Reports 3Q-Ergen Talks NFL, SBC and D.C.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:55 AM

EchoStar said DISH Network added about 350,000 net new subscribers during the third quarter, taking the satellite TV service's customer total to about 10.475 million as of Sept. 30.

The company's third quarter revenue was $1.86 billion, a 28 percent increase when compared to $1.45 billion for the same period in 2003. Net income totaled $102 million for the period that ended Sept. 30, compared to net income of $35 million for third quarter 2003, EchoStar said.

During a conference call discussing the results, EchoStar CEO Charles Ergen commented on DirecTV's deal to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket package through 2010. Ergen said EchoStar wasn't given a chance to bid on the NFL package rights, "So they may have left some money on the table."

But the EchoStar executive said DirecTV's exclusive deal is a blow to cable. Ergen added, "We don't have to face the pressure of DirecTV and cable having it (NFL Sunday Ticket.)"

As for DirecTV gaining the NFL Sunday Ticket package, "If anyone knows the value of the NFL it's Chase Carey (DirecTV Group CEO) and the folks at FOX," Ergen said.

On EchoStar's relationship with SBC Communications, Ergen said the company "has been good to work with." Ergen also said he expects SBC to deploy "a lot of fiber," but added that the phone company will need a video product in areas where it's not economical to deploy fiber services to consumers.

Ergen also blasted House legislation passed in October that addresses renewal of key satellite TV legislation, including a provision that would force the company to stop use of its two-dish solution for delivery of a select set of local TV channels. Ergen said it's "not fair to punish us for something Congress asked us to do," and he criticized broadcasters using their clout to gain "punitive legislation against EchoStar."

EchoStar also said its board declared a one-time stock dividend of $1 per outstanding share for Class A and Class B Common Stock. The dividend, totaling about $455 million, will be payable on Dec. 14 to shareholders of record at the close of business on Dec. 8.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:06 AM

EchoStar also said its board declared a one-time stock dividend of $1 per outstanding share for Class A and Class B Common Stock. The dividend, totaling about $455 million, will be payable on Dec. 14 to shareholders of record at the close of business on Dec. 8.

Hmmm... does Charlie need a new vacation home? :)

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

#3 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:55 PM

WCSWETT- Wow how many dishes do you have? Can you post a larger picture of them?

#4 OFFLINE   tonyp56

tonyp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

did anyone else notice that Charlie likes to blame other people for everything. For instance, whining about having to put all DMA's on one Dish solution. (not every local channel onto one Dish solution, just for each particular DMA!)
Dish 811
SW: P380
Hardware ID: LADD-N
Boot Strap Version: 1014
Two Dish 301s
RCA/Dish Network 40" Widescreen HDTV
RCA RT2600 DD5.1, DTS, DPL 1-2 Surround Sound System

For a free alternative to MS Office, check out www.openoffice.org

Thanks,
Tony P.

#5 OFFLINE   Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:24 PM

WCSWETT- Wow how many dishes do you have? Can you post a larger picture of them?

I have the same set up. 110 and 119 on a dish 500 skewed to get both satellites and a second, single LNB, dish for the satellite at 61.5. At my Lat & Long the two are about 90 degrees to each other, almost touching on my garage.

#6 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:40 PM

E by getting in bed with SBC is trading long term growth for short term numbers.

When fibre arrives the subs will churn away.

Big hit when that day comes.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:48 AM

E by getting in bed with SBC is trading long term growth for short term numbers.

Haller,

Your lack of business knowledge is appalling. DirecTV is doing the same thing that DISH is doing (they just make a deal with my local telephone company to sell their service). That is the direction that the industry NEEDS to go NOW. Maybe you are not smart enough to see that but, fortunately, the heads of the DBS and phone companies are.
Bill R

#8 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:47 PM

Bill as always:(

Sure make deals with phone companies:)

But not ones who expressely plan on canibalizing them from Sat to fibre.

Why add a sub today that will be forceably taken away within a few years...

Better to go after those possible cusatomers directly, at least that way you might hold onto them when fibre rolls out.

#9 OFFLINE   ocnier

ocnier

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

Bob, just cut the damn tree and hit the eject button while you can, don't wait for the rental home to sell! Trust me you'll sleep better. It's time for that ship to sail.... :lol: ...... Excuse the misplacement of my remarks, i've been drinkin today due to fights with the dish csr's.... :grin:

#10 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:51 PM

Better to go after those possible cusatomers directly, at least that way you might hold onto them when fibre rolls out.

See, that is what you DON'T understand. In many cases DISH (and DirecTV) are not getting those potential customers and likely they never would. By selling their service via the phone company (who bundles it with others service) they will pick up MANY customers that they would not get. The customer gets a better deal and DISH (or DirecTV) gets a new customer.

As for what is going to happen down the road, who knows (not you or I or anyone else here). It is better to pick up the customers and revenue NOW, while you can, and that is exactly what the DBS companies are doing.

Have you ever taken any business courses? Sometime, you don't seem to have even the foggiest notion about what you are talking about and you really make yourself look even dumber by trying to defend a post that was wasn't very "bright" to begin with.

By the way, in the U.S. we spell it FIBER, not fibre as you have been spelling it.
Bill R

#11 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:01 PM

There are 9 dishes down in the "dish garden". There are two DISH 500 dishes, one DISHPRO and one Legacy. There are two dishes pointed at 61.5, one DISHPRO and one Legacy. That makes four. There is one DISH 500 pointed at the ExpressVu satellites because I want my HDTV networks and I live 90 miles from the nearest digital transmitter. There are three Ku band dishes, one pointed at 97W for Intelsat Americas 5 and two that I move around but which are currently pointed at 105W and 121W. That makes eight. The final dish is a DirecTV 3 LNB dish I recently installed just in case DirecTV comes through with local into local for my DMA before DISH does or I decide to invest in a DirecTV HD DVR.

I don't have a current picture showing the DirecTV dish installed and one of the Ku dishes has moved. It's dark outside so I can't get you a new pic. :)

--- WCS

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:04 PM

There are 9 dishes down in the "dish garden". There are two DISH 500 dishes, one DISHPRO and one Legacy. There are two dishes pointed at 61.5, one DISHPRO and one Legacy. That makes four. There is one DISH 500 pointed at the ExpressVu satellites because I want my HDTV networks and I live 90 miles from the nearest digital transmitter. There are three Ku band dishes, one pointed at 97W for Intelsat Americas 5 and two that I move around but which are currently pointed at 105W and 121W. That makes eight. The final dish is a DirecTV 3 LNB dish I recently installed just in case DirecTV comes through with local into local for my DMA before DISH does or I decide to invest in a DirecTV HD DVR.

I don't have a current picture showing the DirecTV dish installed and one of the Ku dishes has moved. It's dark outside so I can't get you a new pic. :)

--- WCS

Can you show us the picture you have in your Avatar? :D

#13 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:55 AM

Can you show us the picture you have in your Avatar? :D

Ok, let's see if I can do that...

--- WCS

Attached Thumbnails

• dishes.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:05 PM

Awesome Dish Set up :-) I cant wait till I escape Apartment living, my first house is going to have a big yard full of Dishes :-)

#15 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:35 PM

--- WCS

Man, that is an awsome sight there. It almost brings a tear to my eye. :sure:

#16 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:42 PM

--- WCS

YES an awesome site indead! It made me drool. :D

#17 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:26 PM

It made me laugh.

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#18 Guest_Earl Zuberbelt_*

Guest_Earl Zuberbelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:37 PM

--- WCS

I thought only rabbits had that much sex

#19 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:04 PM

YES an awesome site indead! It made me drool. :D

I'm thinking of putting in some larger stones, covering it with pea gravel and raking it like a Japanese rock garden. :)

--- WCS

#20 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:12 PM

Awesome Dish Set up :-) I cant wait till I escape Apartment living, my first house is going to have a big yard full of Dishes :-)

Here is the current configuration, with the DirecTV dish installed and the 121 dish moved one slot to the west.

--- WCS

Attached Thumbnails

• dishgarden.jpg

spam firewall