Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

newbie OTA question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Blockhead

Blockhead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:25 AM

newbie here with a stupid question. I really want to get my channels in HD so i have been looking at the 811(wife wont let me blow a grand on 921 yet!!!) i know it recieves channels OTA in HD. My problem is except for one station i am more than 60 miles form all the other networks. I am not about to put up a large rooftop antenna. My question is can i get basic cable from my cable company and hook that through my 811 to get the HD network signals? I have more than enough cable outlets close enough to my TV i just am curious if it will work

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   the_bear

the_bear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:15 AM

No, most cable companies use encrypted QAM. Most areas use UHF for OTA, which means a small rooftop antenna.

#3 Guest_Dude_*

Guest_Dude_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:03 AM

I case you care the 921 is only 549 dollars now.

#4 OFFLINE   Blockhead

Blockhead

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:06 PM

another stupid point on my question if its encoded then what is the difference if i get a hd box from the cable company and plug in my cable is it coded to only work with thier box ?

#5 OFFLINE   the_bear

the_bear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:07 PM

You should check with your local cable company. It is likely they will want a ridiculous amount of money for their HD box.

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

Forget cable if you want the digital OTA stations. Most cable systems make you buy their analog channels before you can get to the digital tier. They try to mask the fact that the first 65 channels are analog.

Another reason not to get digital locals from the cable systems is that the jury is still out on weather or not the cable company will have to carry any subchannels that the OTA stations may offer. PBS and TBN digital stations are utilizing their subchannels in a big way (PBS has PBSYOU, PBSKids and perhaps a few other feeds on top of the main channel, TBN has The Church Channel, JCTV and Enlace TBN {Spanish} on top of their main channel). My NBC affilliate has both an HDTV and SD feeds of the main channel as two seperate feeds as well as access to their doppler radar screen 24/7. There is an NBC affilliate in Youngstown OH that carries a WB channel on a subchannel.

I just got a 921 for $549 plus shipping from www.dishstore.net

As for the stations that are 60 miles away, you will probably not be able to receive it without a long range outdoor antenna. One of these puppies should do the trick: www.antennasdirect.com/LongRangeAntennas.htm Do an investigation on what you can receive OTA from your area at www.antennaweb.org.

#7 OFFLINE   chrisk

chrisk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:22 PM

to see how far you really are from the stations. OTA my not be out of the picture for you.
Check out the DB-8 antenna from HTTP://antennasdirect.com. I am 51 miles from the OTA stations in Raleigh, NC and this antenna works great in my attic. Most stations are in the 85 - 95 range. The lowest is around 70.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...