Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVI vs. the red/blue/grenn cable

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flmilkfarmer

flmilkfarmer

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:36 PM

What is the difference in using a DVI cable vs. the rca red/blue/green type cables for the video hookup between my 921 and Sony 34XBR910? Wich one is better I know the DVI cable cost a bunch more.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:30 PM

I am assuming that you don't currently have the DVI cable, but do have red/blue/green cables. My advice is to borrow a friends's DVI cable and see which one your prefer. Your local higher end AV store would probably let you test drive a DVI cable.

#3 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 03:06 PM

For what it is worth DVI is better than the component video for my particular setup (Hitachi 50V500A (LCD) and 811.) The s-video is pathetic. But each person's system will be different. You just gotta play until you find the right mix. Still an art (sorta like OTA HD signal acquisition)
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#4 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:17 PM

DVI sends the digital bitstream to the TV where it is processed for viewing. The red green and blue cables send an analog signal from your set top to your TV (the signal is processed in the STB) As was mentioned, on these two connectors the DVI should be better but may not be, if your DA processor is considerably worse in the TV than the set top. Some people say that DVI is only better in digital display, but i have a RPTV and it is considerably better than component for my application

#5 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:03 PM

I agree, with my set the DVI is vastly better.

#6 OFFLINE   chewey

chewey

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:24 PM

I use DVI and it is slightly better on my 34" for high def signals. Bought the dvi cable on ebay for like 8 bucks. Don't waste your money buying any high end cables, there's not a lot they can do to spruce up a DVI cable.

#7 OFFLINE   grassvalley

grassvalley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:38 AM

So why the big price difference? Radio Shack is selling them for $100. There must be a difference in an $8 cable vs a $100 cable.

I use DVI and it is slightly better on my 34" for high def signals. Bought the dvi cable on ebay for like 8 bucks. Don't waste your money buying any high end cables, there's not a lot they can do to spruce up a DVI cable.

#8 OFFLINE   chewey

chewey

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:42 AM

First of all, stores mark up cables and accessories like crazy because it is an easy money maker. I used to work at Circuit City and the commission we would get off of selling Monster Cables was more than the tv or dvd we sold with them. They pushed us HARD to sell them, so I know the store made a good profit too. Personally, I didn't push the cables or the "extended warranty" ripoff because I have a conscience.

As far as DVI and HDMI cables go, they are transmitting a digital signal so signal degradation is not a problem. Kind of like picking up a digital OTA signal or the signal from the LNB to the receiver, either you get it or you don't.

That's just my opinion.

#9 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:45 PM

So why the big price difference? Radio Shack is selling them for $100. There must be a difference in an $8 cable vs a $100 cable.

There is. $92. If you pay it, that means you fell for the hype.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   grassvalley

grassvalley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 11:42 PM

okay..works for me. I just bought one off EBay for $5. Thanks for the advice.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

The difference lies in the quality of the D>A converter. If the D>A converter in your display is higher quality than the D>A converter in your STB then DVI is the way to go. OTOH if your display is not a top-of-the-line model that is where you may get better results using the analog component outputs. Same is true for audio, however to get 5.1 decoded you have to use an external receiver/amplifier, so always use the digital audio optupts (co-ax or toslink). If you use co-ax be sure to use video grade RCA cables.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:25 AM

Is there a way to convert DVI to firewire?

#13 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:57 PM

"The difference lies in the quality of the D>A converter. If the D>A converter in your display is higher quality than the D>A converter in your STB then DVI is the way to go."

Not necessarily, remember there are digital HDTVs (LCD, Plasma, DLP) where there's no need for a D>A converter at all if you use DVI

#14 OFFLINE   ClaudeR

ClaudeR

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:49 PM

Check out www.monoprices.com for cables, I bought a 15' DVI cable, a 10' DVI extender, and a 25' RCA stereo cable for about $30 including shipping. I found out about them from ebay, will get them on wednesday.

The 921 is a noisy beast and must be relocated. :)

#15 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for that website Claude! It just saved me about $40 on opitical audio cables!

#16 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:00 PM

I agree with Chewey. I recently purchased a printer from Best Buy and bought a USB connection cable for $28. I got to thinking about it and went to Walmart and bought the same thing for $8. So I returned my cable to Best Buy. Walmart carries all types of quality cables at fair prices. They have computer cables, car stereo, home A/V and even toslink stuff. And don't ever fall for the expensive Monster surge protector scam either. Back in my military electronics days we used to build our own surge protectors out of cheap parts from Radio Shack.

My Samsung hdtv doesn't have DVI inputs so I have to use component inputs. The picture is incredible. I couldn't imagine how it could be any better with DVI but I'll never know.

#17 OFFLINE   Zevon

Zevon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

Component video (red, green, blue marked inputs/outputs) is analog, which is susceptable to signal degredation, yes, but in the majority of situations the cable length and quality make it nearly undetectable visually.

THE REAL DEAL is that, as an analog signal, it can be captured (recorded) and the movie industry doesn't like that. So, DVI was developed along with HDCP, a specification where the data will be digital only allowing for encryption so you can't intercept the signal and record it.

I don't have a problem with that, except for the fact that if you recently bought a HDTV capable TV without a digital connection (either DVI or HDMI - there are millions of 'em out there without it) you will be left out in the cold when this is the only way you can connect HD devices to your TV. Thankfully, this is not the case yet, but it has started.

For example, Samsung makes a DVD player that will up-convert all signals to 1080i, but will only transmit it to your TV via DVI. No problem...just buy a DVI to component converter, right? Wrong. Because of HDCP, it is ILLEGAL to make a DVI to component converter. The public gets screwed AGAIN because of the greed of the movie/music industry.

Excellent site explaining the various connections out there: http://www.hdtvprime...SSUES/STBs.html

Want High Definition? Open your wallet. :mad:

#18 OFFLINE   rdopso

rdopso

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

On our 50-inch Panasonic LCD TV, component cables (red-blue-green or whatever)from our DishNetwork 921 only produce 720p HD while the DVI provides full 1080i HD -- there is a noticable difference in quality (the numbers would suggest about a third better resolution).

#19 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

Is there a way to convert DVI to firewire?

DVI is uncompressed digital video, currently about 1.2Gbs. DVI can handle about 1.5GB a second. Firewire is compressed digital and will not handle the full, uncompressed, digital bitstream. It is used, primarily, in camcorders and digital recording devices, as well as for hooking above to DVD recorders and computers.

#20 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:13 PM

" Because of HDCP, it is ILLEGAL to make a DVI to component converter."

Not quite true, as far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). It's illegal to make decode the HDCP to analog. You can most certainly, legally, convert non-DRM'd DVI to component as far as I know (ex. to connect a computer with only DVI out to a TV with component inputs). Not sure if any boxes actually exist to do this, but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal as long as they'd not breaking an HDCP signal

Protected By... spam firewall...And...