Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone understand what this part of Significantly Viewed in the new law means?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wkomorow

wkomorow

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

SEC. 340. SIGNIFICANTLY VIEWED SIGNALS PERMITTED TO BE CARRIED..
(a) SIGNIFICANTLY VIEWED STATIONS.—In addition to the broadcast signals that subscribers may receive under section 338 and 339, a satellite carrier is also authorized to retransmit to a subscriber located in a community the signal of any station located outside the local market in which such subscriber is located, to the extent such signal—
(1) has, before the date of enactment of the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004, been determined by the Federal Communications Commission to be a signal a cable operator may carry as significantly viewed in such community, except to the extent that such signal is prevented from being carried by a cable system in such community under the Commission's network non-duplication and syndicated exclusivity rules; or
(2) is, after such date of enactment, determined by the Commission to be significantly viewed in such community in accordance with the same standards and procedures concerning shares of viewing hours and audience surveys as are applicable under the rules, regulations, and authorizations of the Commission to determining with respect to a cable system whether signals are significantly viewed in a community.

[snip limitations]

© PUBLICATION AND MODIFICATIONS OF LISTS; REGULATIONS.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—The Commission shall—
(A) within 60 days after the date of enactment of the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004—
(i) publish a list of the stations that are eligible for retransmission under subsection (a) (1) and the communities in which such stations are eligible for such retransmission; and
(ii) commence a rulemaking proceeding to implement this section by publication of a notice of proposed rulemaking;

Nothing there says counties, everything says communities.

JL

Under definitions:

``(3) COMMUNITY.--The term `community' means--

``(A) a county or a cable community, as determined under the rules, regulations, and authorizations of the Commission applicable to determining with respect to a cable system whether signals are significantly viewed; or

``(B) a satellite community, as determined under such rules, regulations, and authorizations (or revisions thereof) as the Commission may prescribe in implementing the requirements of this section.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 Guest_Fritter_*

Guest_Fritter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2004 - 10:03 AM

My "significantly viewed" channels that are shown on nearby cable include only 3 networks from Little Rock (NBC, CBS, ABC).

This leads me to a couple of questions, first if I am given the chance to subscribe to significantly viewed channels on D*, would they only offer those 3 networks? Secondly, the LR locals are on a spot beam. I can only get a signal strength of 70 on that beam. Can they increase the coverage of their beams and would they sell me locals if I can only get a 70 for strength?

Thanks

#23 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:23 AM

My "significantly viewed" channels that are shown on nearby cable include only 3 networks from Little Rock (NBC, CBS, ABC).

This leads me to a couple of questions, first if I am given the chance to subscribe to significantly viewed channels on D*, would they only offer those 3 networks? Secondly, the LR locals are on a spot beam. I can only get a signal strength of 70 on that beam. Can they increase the coverage of their beams and would they sell me locals if I can only get a 70 for strength?

Thanks

I'm wondering the same thing about your first question.
I'm in the South Bend, IN DMA. Comcast now carries, and has, since cable was installed over 20 years ago, CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS from Chicago. Until several months ago, we also had OTA WGN on channel 9. They replaced the off the air signal with the satellite version and moved it to a higher channel.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:36 PM

Under definitions:
``(3) COMMUNITY.--The term `community' means--
``(A) a county or a cable community, as determined under the rules, regulations, and authorizations of the Commission applicable to determining with respect to a cable system whether signals are significantly viewed; or
``(B) a satellite community, as determined under such rules, regulations, and authorizations (or revisions thereof) as the Commission may prescribe in implementing the requirements of this section.

I found that later in the morning as well. Note that it isn't just county-by-county, but by cable communuity. Some cable communities are bigger that others, but they are not all full counties.

JL

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:55 PM

I'm in the South Bend, IN DMA. Comcast now carries, and has, since cable was installed over 20 years ago, CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS from Chicago. Until several months ago, we also had OTA WGN on channel 9. They replaced the off the air signal with the satellite version and moved it to a higher channel.

In South Bend itself Comcast does not carry the Chicago feeds. I assume that Berrien County gets them because of the Illinois residents with second residences along the lake shore. (How many Illinois plates in your neighborhood. :D )

One piece of good news: If you live within the Grade B coverage of the Chicago stations you will get them without blackouts (if satellite offers them).

LaPorte County Indiana viewers are in the Chicago DMA and don't currently get South Bend stations (even though cable must carry them). Currently they will need SuperDish if SB Significantly Viewed are added.

My first experience with cable in Michigan was in Sturgis and we could receive ALL the channels from Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, South Bend, and Lansing areas on our local service (plus WKBD 50 Detroit and WGN 9 Chicago). New laws made that impossible to offer. People in the southern counties of the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo DMA should also be able to get SB DMA channels (on a SuperDish).

Some cities east of SB offer both SB and Fort Wayne on cable. That won't happen on E* since SB is 105 and FW is 121 (unless the significant channels are mirrored on both satellites - which is possible.

JL

#26 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 04:53 PM

In South Bend itself Comcast does not carry the Chicago feeds. I assume that Berrien County gets them because of the Illinois residents with second residences along the lake shore. (How many Illinois plates in your neighborhood. :D )

One piece of good news: If you live within the Grade B coverage of the Chicago stations you will get them without blackouts (if satellite offers them).

LaPorte County Indiana viewers are in the Chicago DMA and don't currently get South Bend stations (even though cable must carry them). Currently they will need SuperDish if SB Significantly Viewed are added.

My first experience with cable in Michigan was in Sturgis and we could receive ALL the channels from Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, South Bend, and Lansing areas on our local service (plus WKBD 50 Detroit and WGN 9 Chicago). New laws made that impossible to offer. People in the southern counties of the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo DMA should also be able to get SB DMA channels (on a SuperDish).

Some cities east of SB offer both SB and Fort Wayne on cable. That won't happen on E* since SB is 105 and FW is 121 (unless the significant channels are mirrored on both satellites - which is possible.

JL

Are you in South Bend? Sounds like you have Dish.
Yes, we have a lot of Chicago people here during the summer. I just checked the FCC web site and looked at the contour maps for the network stations, PBS and WGN. They're all putting a grade B in here. Even WFLD on channel 32. Here's hoping. I've got 100 from their spot beam on Directv.
I'm sure there are a lot of people in Laporte County who live a lot closer to the South Bend towers than they do to the Chicago stations.

#27 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

People in the southern counties of the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo DMA should also be able to get SB DMA channels (on a SuperDish).

This points out a real problem for DISH Network as many folks may have their DMA on DISH 500 but be eligible for significantly viewed channels on 105, 121 or heaven forbid, BOTH!

My DMA locals are on 110 and 61.5. My cable co. lists WRCB Chattanooga (on 105), WNEG Toccoa (on 119), and WUNE (Research Triangle Pa, NC - not uplinked) as available to cable subscribers. If WUNE eventually goes up on 121 then I'd have to have 119, 110, 61.5, 105 and 121 just to cover eligible locals that my cable company offers. Ok, I've got all those antennas, but I doubt anyone else in my "community" does. :)

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:27 PM

Are you in South Bend? Sounds like you have Dish.

Yes, and I try not to talk about D* too often since it isn't my forte. But since we are in SHVIRA discussion D* should also be discussed.

As long as the spots cover the locations a D* two or three LNB dish should be able to pick up locals and the new significantly viewed channels. D* subs in Fort Wayne need a 72.5 second dish for their locals, and any FW channels that are Signficantly Viewed in portions of the SB market would also require the extra dish.

In our area it looks like D* will do ok and be able to offer significantly viewed channels where they will be eligible. The benefit of being on one dish. E* is expected to catch up at the end of 2005 with the launch of E10 moving many markets from 105 and 121 to 110. But as noted before, it will be a few months until Significantly Viewed becomes active anywhere. So we wait.

BTW: I'm east of South Bend in the next county. I can get some Fort Wayne Digital channels OTA, but I'm not close enough to be a significant viewer. We both may end up getting Kalamazoo stations out of this deal - which wouldn't be bad. You are more likely than me since your "locals" are all out of state.

JL

#29 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:11 PM

BTW: I'm east of South Bend in the next county. I can get some Fort Wayne Digital channels OTA, but I'm not close enough to be a significant viewer. We both may end up getting Kalamazoo stations out of this deal - which wouldn't be bad. You are more likely than me since your "locals" are all out of state.

JL

I've wondered about the possibility of that also. Checking the contour maps for channels 3, 8 and 41 show that none of them have a grade B signal here.. Almost to Benton Harbor. In the northern part of the county they could be considered 'significantly viewed' as opposed to Chicago.
Here Chicago definitely is.
I'll be happy with either market as long as I get a decent signal from them. South Bend, on Directv, besides the over compression, has bad, bad ghosting on two or three of the stations and WNIT has a 'flashing' that occurs every two or three seconds. When I run it in slow motion it's blocking that I'm seeing. I'm wondering if GR/Kazoo is any better. They're on the same transponder as South Bend. That's why I'm hoping we'll get Chicago. They're probably, for the most part, fed by fiber optic to Directv I would think.

#30 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:29 PM

Jim,

Have you contacted the station engineers at the stations affected by interference? In many cases, the station's website should give contact information. If not, send to the manager or the comments line. If that fails, call the station and ask for the engineer.

In my experience with talking with station engineers, they are generally cooperative and want you to have a good quality signal to watch. I have contacted the FOX, WB and UPN engineer in Jackson to clear up some interference on each channel, which he has. I have also contacted the FOX/ABC engineer in Tupelo-Columbus to clear up some interference on my mother's locals. In both cases, they did eventually fix the problem.

If any station does not want to bother correcting the interference, I would contact the network headquarters and let them know that you'll stop watching whatever shows you watch on their network because the engineer doesn't want to fix interference problems. It is not in the station's nor the network's best interest to lose audience due to a correctable problem.

Just my $0.02. However, you might get results.

#31 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 07:00 PM

Jim,

Have you contacted the station engineers at the stations affected by interference? In many cases, the station's website should give contact information. If not, send to the manager or the comments line. If that fails, call the station and ask for the engineer.

In my experience with talking with station engineers, they are generally cooperative and want you to have a good quality signal to watch. I have contacted the FOX, WB and UPN engineer in Jackson to clear up some interference on each channel, which he has. I have also contacted the FOX/ABC engineer in Tupelo-Columbus to clear up some interference on my mother's locals. In both cases, they did eventually fix the problem.

If any station does not want to bother correcting the interference, I would contact the network headquarters and let them know that you'll stop watching whatever shows you watch on their network because the engineer doesn't want to fix interference problems. It is not in the station's nor the network's best interest to lose audience due to a correctable problem.

Just my $0.02. However, you might get results.

I sent a e-mail to the chief engineer of the PBS station, but received no reply. I thought I might send another one with a copy to the general manager. I've video taped this station and it's problems and thought about making two copies and going right to the station to show them.
The NBC affiliate has no e-mail address for the chief engineer. Their signal isn't too bad anyway. The Fox station did not reply either. The ABC and WB stations are both LP and owned by Weigel Broadcasting out of Chicago. I'd be surprised if they have an on site engineer. I haven't been able to come up with an e-mail address for their engineering dept.
The only chief engineer that has bothered to reply is the CBS station and that's where the LRF is located so their signal is pretty good. My last e-mail to him about the problems, he forwarded the e-mail to Directv.
He told me that when South Bend first went on the dish they had a pretty good picture. I think they were on a CONUS trasponder at first. Apparently the problems started when they were moved to a spot beam.
I guess I'm going to wait and see if we can get Chicago.
If we don't I'll start hounding them again, start making some more video tapes and make a trip to South Bend.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:15 AM

He told me that when South Bend first went on the dish they had a pretty good picture. I think they were on a CONUS trasponder at first. Apparently the problems started when they were moved to a spot beam.

I doubt if they were ever CONUS. D* has too many channels up to do conus locals. What probably happened was that the initial channels (16, 22, 28, 34) were uplinked and when D* added 25 and 57 they changed the compression to fit them all in. (BTW: SB's 46 is carried as a PI nationally, UPNMichiana is not carried by D*. E* carries all eight channels mentioned as locals.)

BTW: It could have been adding other channels to that transponder as well.

JL

#33 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:18 AM

lurker, DirecTV did have South Bend on a CONUS transponder at 119 for a while. I remember it changing around the time football season started.

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:36 PM

lurker, DirecTV did have South Bend on a CONUS transponder at 119 for a while. I remember it changing around the time football season started.

Interesting. What a waste of space.

JL

#35 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:36 AM

I think it may have had to do with readjusting the satellite a bit. DirecTV may have been concerned that the spot-beam wasn't hitting the entire market. Not only did this happen for South Bend, it also happened for Tulsa and Wichita. As of the beginning of September, all of these channels were back on spot-beams. At that time, there was only one channel on CONUS at 119: the ABC affiliate from Chico/Redding. There wasn't any space on the Chico/Reno spot-beam to add the station.

#36 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:12 AM

I think it may have had to do with readjusting the satellite a bit. DirecTV may have been concerned that the spot-beam wasn't hitting the entire market. Not only did this happen for South Bend, it also happened for Tulsa and Wichita. As of the beginning of September, all of these channels were back on spot-beams. At that time, there was only one channel on CONUS at 119: the ABC affiliate from Chico/Redding. There wasn't any space on the Chico/Reno spot-beam to add the station.

And this appears to be about the time that the picture quality from South Bend went to pot. I got locals on Sept. 10th and had problems right from the beginning..
The chief engineer at Channel 22, where the LRF is located,
told me that at first picture quality was good and all of a sudden the problems started showing up.
He says he's complained to Directv but since he and I are the only ones complaining about it, they won't do anything.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...