Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

When will we see the results of "Significantly Viewed"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SuperJack

SuperJack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:12 PM

Now that everything has passed, how long will it be before D* and E* begin to offer "significantly viewed" locals? Anyone know the timeframe for this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:12 AM

Well, AFAIK, it ain't been signed yet.

I suspect some of them will become available almost immediately thereafter.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:30 AM

The FCC has 60 days after enactment of the new law to provide a list of what stations currently available on cable in "distant" markets are allowed to be sold by satellite carriers in what communities. After that, then the satellite companies MIGHT decide to start making certain channels available.

Keep in mind that Dish or DirecTV have to pay a copyright fee as well as obtain retransmission consent from each and every station they carry outside its home market. I wouldn't think that Dish would include many of these channels in the locals packages, rather make them available to subscribers for a buck or so. This is just a guess.

Anyway, I don't see Significantly viewed going doing anything IN EXISTING MARKETS on Dish until March with the possible exception of Panama City, FL

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:18 AM

D* and E* also have to give 60 days notice before adding the channels. So if the FCC takes all 60 days to provide a list and the sat carriers announce the next day what their plans are it will be 120 days from signing. Of course the FCC could have a list produced quickly - and may have it ready days after enactment. There would still be 60 days notification after that release.

I've read SHVERA too many times and it's becoming blurry, but don't expect significantly viewed channels before March -- and in some areas you'll be waiting until December 2005 or longer due to where the channels are actually uplinked.

I do expect E* to move quickly once the FCC list is available and make an initial annoucement affecting as many areas as they can. Especially DMAs missing a network. It should be interesting.

JL

#5 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:52 PM

Anyway, I don't see Significantly viewed going doing anything IN EXISTING MARKETS on Dish until March with the possible exception of Panama City, FL

Why is that?

In Monmouth, Ocean & Mercer counties in NJ cable carries BOTH Philadelphia & New York City channels.

(Monmouth & Ocean are NYC DMA/Mercer is Philadelphia DMA)

All these channels are ALREADY up on DirecTV & DISH.

All they need to do is enable the additional channels on the consumer's receiver.

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#6 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:30 PM

And since I'm in Monmouth County I'm hoping they make these available SOON.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:29 PM

Why is that?

Please read the whole thread. There are many steps involved:
1) The president must sign the bill and it must be enacted.
2) The FCC must create and make public a list of stations and the communities outside their own DMA where they are eligible for "Significantly Viewed". They must do this within 60 days of enactment. (Shouldn't be hard, since they maintain a list for cable.)
3) The satellite providers must give 60 day notice before offering the channels to subscribers. (This is the real delay point that takes us to March.)

There is no requirement that Significantly Viewed channels be offered by any provider.

JL

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:35 PM

Keep in mind that Dish or DirecTV have to pay a copyright fee as well as obtain retransmission consent from each and every station they carry outside its home market.

SEC. 103. STATUTORY LICENSE FOR SATELLITE CARRIERS OUTSIDE LOCAL MARKETS.
Section 119 of title 17, United States Code, is amended as follows:

(4) Subsection (B)(1) is further amended by adding at the end the following flush sentence:

Notwithstanding the provisions of subparagraph (B), a satellite carrier whose secondary transmissions are subject to statutory licensing under paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (a) shall have no royalty obligation for secondary transmissions to a subscriber under paragraph (3) of such subsection.

Looks like no royalties. I haven't tracked down the consent issue fully - I do see a provision that in the future stations can elect Must Carry or Consent to Carry by community within their own local market, but don't see where consent is needed outside of their own local market.

JL

#9 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:51 PM

Please read the whole thread. There are many steps involved:
1) The president must sign the bill and it must be enacted.
2) The FCC must create and make public a list of stations and the communities outside their own DMA where they are eligible for "Significantly Viewed". They must do this within 60 days of enactment. (Shouldn't be hard, since they maintain a list for cable.)
3) The satellite providers must give 60 day notice before offering the channels to subscribers. (This is the real delay point that takes us to March.)

There is no requirement that Significantly Viewed channels be offered by any provider.

JL

Then why would Panama City, FL be an exception to that?

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#10 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:45 PM

Oh dear....

The only reason I mentioned Panama City is because this is a noteworthy market in that it is a "split" market. Panama City has half the networks and Dothan has the other half. My guess is that Panama City/Dothan would be one of the first if not the first to get the "significantly viewed" channels.

The people who want two and three network affiliates from surrounding markets are in for a looooooong wait. Again, just guessing here, but the Sig. Viewed will at first just be network fill-ins.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:30 PM

Oh dear....

Agreed! :D

The only reason I mentioned Panama City is because this is a noteworthy market in that it is a "split" market. Panama City has half the networks and Dothan has the other half. My guess is that Panama City/Dothan would be one of the first if not the first to get the "significantly viewed" channels.

Pick any market that is missing a major network that could be provided by a neighbor. Panama City is no exception to the rules, just one of the many markets crying out for the relief that Sec. 340 will bring - eventually. In my state that market is Terre Haute.

The people who want two and three network affiliates from surrounding markets are in for a looooooong wait. Again, just guessing here, but the Sig. Viewed will at first just be network fill-ins.

I don't believe the wait will be too long. If there is additional money in it for E* or a way to bury D* it's virtually free and the FCC does the work of qualifying the list. Just grab it and say GO on every channel that is technically possible.

Since one of the prerequisites is the subscriber taking locals E* wins by having 151 of the 210 markets covered. More by the end of the year.

It does appear that station consent is automatic based on the station granting permission under consent to carry or requesting carriage under must carry. Unless you can find the wording, there is no additional permission required - so if the station is up in its own market it could be a sig viewed offering. (By the end of 2005, stations will be able to elect by community within their own DMAs if they will be must carry or consent to carry, but only in communities where the satellite provider is importing affiliates of the same network from another DMA.)

This could move rather fast considering the built in delays. The potential is there for those who grasp it. And with the new LP license rules, Sig Viewed will be very important. (LPs will only be licensed within 20-35 miles of their transmit site.) Sig Viewed will be needed to fill those gaps.

JL

Protected By... spam firewall...And...