Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Locals/Distants both

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:17 PM

I for some reason can get my locals as well as distants both. However, some people that live north of me can only get locals plus ABC. What determines this? It seems that now that most everyone is getting locals, they should be able to get distants as well if they want to pay for them. Does the new law change this in any way??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:30 PM

I for some reason can get my locals as well as distants both. However, some people that live north of me can only get locals plus ABC. What determines this? It seems that now that most everyone is getting locals, they should be able to get distants as well if they want to pay for them. Does the new law change this in any way??

The local network stations have the exclusive license to broadcast to you (a protected monopoly), so you can only be authorized to receive distant networks if 1) you fall outside the broadcast area for a particular station as predicted by a signal propagation model, 2) the local affiliate gives you permission to receive distant affiliates by signing a waiver, or 3) you have had distant networks for a long time and are grandfathered to continue to receive them.

The new law splits analog and digital exclusivity, meaning viewers may be able to get distant digitals if digital isn't available over-the-air in their area. This last bit will take a year or more to sort out as the FCC has until Dec. 31, 2005 to come up with a digital signal propagation model.

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

#3 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2004 - 07:53 PM

What determines this is the money the broadcast lobby is paying our representatives in Congress. Companies that are using the public airwaves to make a profit are buying legislation that protects them from competition. As a result, an industry that should have died long ago continues to survive.

If the technology exists to provide a choice of TV stations and there are willing buyers and sellers, then why should consumers be denied the choice of receiving distant stations? It's like being told that you can't read the NY Times because you live in Chicago. If you are unhappy about this, write to your congressman and senators. The broadcasters have money, but we have the votes.

Over the long term, even these artificial rules cannot save the broadcast TV industry from the onslaught of new technology. Their market share has been shrinking for many years and will continue to do so as viewers gravitate toward other sources of entertainment - cable networks, video games, DVDs, and content delivered over the Internet are just some of the choices that will ultimately make the broadcast TV dinosaur extinct.

For my part, the only thing worth watching on local TV is a handful of network shows. Without them, I probably wouldn't watch local TV at all. With many TV shows now going to DVD shortly after their broadcast showings, many people may decide to simply skip watching them on broadcast TV and avoid the barrage of commercial interruptions, on-screen logos, animated promos with sound effects that run during the program, and the other annoyances that go with watching broadcast TV.

#4 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:52 PM

Echostar's address qualfication no longer lists distants as an option unless an area with locals is missing an affiliate.

spam firewall