Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Specific stations/counties

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:16 PM

Does anyone know what stations and/or counties will be provided for in US Code Title 17, Section 119(a)(2)©(i-iv) as contained in SHVERA section 102?

It seems pretty obvious that clause (i) authorizes WMUR to be carried in NH outside the Boston DMA, and I'm guessing clause (ii) authorizes Vermont stations to be carried in parts of Vermont inside the Boston DMA (anybody agree or disagree?), but what are the 4 counties referred to in clause (iii) and the two counties referred to in clause (iv)?

There seem to be two counties in southern MS, in the Baton Rouge DMA, that might qualify under clause (iv). Is that right and/or are there others?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:28 AM

I don't believe the law will specify DMA's and counties by name. Rather they will (or should) use the same data that allowed cable to carry significantly viewed stations.

Bottom line, it's the Neilson Company who will determine who can get the significantly viewed stations.

BTW: DMA boundries have changed based on Neilson research. Case in point Lawrence County PA. Even though Lawrence county borders Mahoning County, Ohio (home county to Youngstown) the DMA in Lawrence flipped from Youngstown to Pittsburgh several years ago. I'm willing to bet more news stories about Lawrence County appear on the Youngstown stations than on the Pittsburgh stations (I can receive some Youngstown stations so I have seen the Y'town stations news coverage of New Castle/Lawrence County, PA). Heck, one of the Youngstown statons was originally licensed to New Castle.

So if you get an invitation to participate in a Neilson study, be sure to do it and fill your logbook with those significantlly viewed stations!

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:45 AM

Michael,

The law doesn't specifically mention counties, stations or DMAs, but it is written in such a fashion that it describes in detail cetrain situations that only apply to specific stations or DMAs. For example, WMUR in NH is specifically singled out by the language on the bill to be allowed in all NH counties regardless of DMA. There is no other TV station in the country at the moment that fits the specific circumstance in the law.

There is also a specific lawus about a four-county DMA examtion with a specific number of households. I think it's Dothan, AL but I'm not sure.

That's what the original question was about.

BTW, the boundaries in the DMAs are "frozen" in the 2002 for the purposes of LIL at the satellite carrier's discression. This was from the SHVIA. The TV Market link in my sig is correct as of 2003/2004 TV season. The borders have since changed slightly.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   dallas_axelrod

dallas_axelrod

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:56 AM

Does anyone know what stations and/or counties will be provided for in US Code Title 17, Section 119(a)(2)©(i-iv) as contained in SHVERA section 102?

It seems pretty obvious that clause (i) authorizes WMUR to be carried in NH outside the Boston DMA, and I'm guessing clause (ii) authorizes Vermont stations to be carried in parts of Vermont inside the Boston DMA (anybody agree or disagree?), but what are the 4 counties referred to in clause (iii) and the two counties referred to in clause (iv)?

There seem to be two counties in southern MS, in the Baton Rouge DMA, that might qualify under clause (iv). Is that right and/or are there others?

You're correct with all your assumptions... and the 4 counties are in Eastern Oregon.

spam firewall