Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LIL bandwidth

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:18 PM

Does anybody know of any provision in law or regulation that would require a satellite carrier to provide equivalent bandwidth for all analog locals in any given DMA? I see provisions for contiguous channel placement and non-discriminatory pricing, and SHVERA 2004 adds a one-dish requirement, but what's to stop E* from offering very blurry preachers and Hispanics?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:58 AM

I'm pretty sure there is an "equal treatment" clause that takes care of the bandwidth issue. Dish has to have approximately the same bandwidth available for all the locals in any one given market.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

Does anybody know of any provision in law or regulation that would require a satellite carrier to provide equivalent bandwidth for all analog locals in any given DMA? I see provisions for contiguous channel placement and non-discriminatory pricing, and SHVERA 2004 adds a one-dish requirement, but what's to stop E* from offering very blurry preachers and Hispanics?

There is a provision for digitals where satellite must provide the same bandwidth as the terestrial broadcast. I don't recall seeing anything in writing about analogs.
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,224 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:23 PM

There is a provision for digitals where satellite must provide the same bandwidth as the terestrial broadcast. I don't recall seeing anything in writing about analogs.

It's in the current law (pre SHVERA), but of course I can't find it at the moment. :lol:

JL

#5 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:11 PM

It's in the current law (pre SHVERA), but of course I can't find it at the moment. :lol:

My locals are divided between 110 and 61.5 and in my opinion the ones on 61.5 look more compressed than on 110. Checking Lyngsat I see that there are 11 channels on the 61.5 transponder that carries Atlanta and only 8 channels on the 110 transponder that carries Atlanta. That's a pretty good case right there that less bandwidth is devoted to the "lesser" wing sat local channels (I found as many as 12 locals crammed onto one 61.5 sat transponder).

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,224 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:04 AM

My locals are divided between 110 and 61.5 and in my opinion the ones on 61.5 look more compressed than on 110. Checking Lyngsat I see that there are 11 channels on the 61.5 transponder that carries Atlanta and only 8 channels on the 110 transponder that carries Atlanta. That's a pretty good case right there that less bandwidth is devoted to the "lesser" wing sat local channels (I found as many as 12 locals crammed onto one 61.5 sat transponder).

There are plenty of spotbeams with 12 channels. There are even a few ConUS non-local-in-local filled transponders on 119 and 110 that have 12 channels. (12 real channels, not counting mirrors.)

About the only channels that get more than 1/12 of a transponder are PPV & Movie channels and HD.

JL

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:05 AM

This is why I don't subscribe to satellite-delivered locals. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to get a decent OTA signal. Once the digital transformation is completed and every station is up to full power with thier "DT" signals hopefully more viewers can take advantage of OTA.

I just started getting my locals via the 921 and have been thrilled with the PQ.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:17 AM

There are plenty of spotbeams with 12 channels. There are even a few ConUS non-local-in-local filled transponders on 119 and 110 that have 12 channels. (12 real channels, not counting mirrors.)

About the only channels that get more than 1/12 of a transponder are PPV & Movie channels and HD.

JL

It's not the quantity of channels per transponder, it's how the channels are compressed that makes the difference in PQ.

If you look at the combination of channels found on non-local-in-local filled transponders, you willl see that they mix high demand channels (Premiums, sports, etc.) with low demand channels (low visual action such as shopping, PI, etc). They use "stat-muxes" to allocate bandwidth between all these channels to minimize digital artifacting. On LIL's, however, there is no way to determine the amount of visual action. Sporting events are all over the dial (FOX. CBS & ABC for the NFL). There are too many stations to monitor manually so I'm willing to bet that the engineers just set the stat mux for LIL's on the conservitive side.

Several years ago I saw a football game played in a Pittsburgh blizzard over a satellite-delivered CBS afilliate. The snowflakes caused so much pixillation on wide shots that the game was almost unwatchable. If it wasn't for close-up shots, the game would have been totally unwatchable

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,224 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:13 PM

It's not the quantity of channels per transponder, it's how the channels are compressed that makes the difference in PQ.

Less channels on a transponder does give more overhead for the moments when all the channels need an extra punch, but it's a moot point comparing 61.5-148 vs 110-119, since the compression settings for locals are about the same regardless of what bird brings them back to subscribers.

It MAY be that more people complain about the quality of the 110-119 channels than wing channels and in a complaint oriented system those channels are more likely to be noticed and adjusted. Dish is pretty good at taking a look at problems when they are reported.

Several years ago I saw a football game played in a Pittsburgh blizzard over a satellite-delivered CBS afilliate. The snowflakes caused so much pixillation on wide shots that the game was almost unwatchable. If it wasn't for close-up shots, the game would have been totally unwatchable

I get that on local OTA-HD during auto racing and other fast moving shows (the game show Pyramid when the strobes are flashing). All that bandwidth and it still looks poor. It's all in the compression.

JL

Protected By... spam firewall...And...