Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about significantly viewed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:49 PM

Does this mean we will be able to view another city's entire lineup of local channels or will we just get 1 of them from neighboring markets? For Example i live in Memphis, Tennessee's DMA Currently. Will i be able to receive Tupelo, Columbus Ms locals and Nashville, Tennessee Locals? There are literally 3 DMA's in my area that are VERY Near one another and kind of over lap. I'm going to be disappointed if we can only receive just 1 "Significantly" Viewed channel. I'm waiting to hear there definition of Significant. They should allow us to view all or none is the way i look at it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:35 AM

Unknown at this time . The FCC will have to come up with said rules.

IMHO - if your cable company is carrying it, or you can receive it OTA - you should be allowed to receive it via DBS. But that is just one man's opinion.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:49 AM

It will not be all or none. SV status applies to particular stations, not whole markets.

You might get just one addditional channel or you might get several, but it's unlikely you'll get an entire second market unless it's a very small market.

And in most places the number of SV stations not already included in the local package will be ZERO....

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:08 AM

Joblo that is exactly my situation here in Northern, Mississippi. Tupelo-Columbus is a very small market. Where I actually Live in Northern, Mississippi. My Current Local channels are only The Memphis, Tennessee Locals. Which I actually live closer mileage wise to Tupelo-Columbus. And some nights if the old Roof Top Aeriel Antenna that I used to use is pointed just right and the wind blows a little in the direction I can sometimes receive Nashville with a little snow on the screen. Do you see what I am saying here? 3 Markets there. Memphis, Tennessee, Tupelo- Columbus, Mississippi, and Nashville Tennessee stations All overlaping.

#5 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:19 AM

Msguy,

I am watching this as well for my mother. She lives in Coffeeville, MS, which is in the extreme west central part of the Tupelo-Columbus DMA. The next county to the north gets Memphis and the next county to the south and to the west get the Greenwood-Greenville DMA. The cable company in Coffeeville carries all the Tupelo stations exc. PBS, Greenville stations (ABC, CBS) exc. PBS, and also CBS and NBC from Memphis.

My mother would love to be able to receive WREG and WMC from Memphis and WABG from Greenwood. I know she could receive the Memphis channels, but the Greenwood channels may not be likely since the market is #183 in the list.

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:08 PM

Gor88 I know what you mean. I'm watching this very closely as well. There is an ABC 7 Station in Jackson, Tennessee WBBJ TV that is on local cable here in the Northeastern Mississippi town that I live in. I think that this channel is available on Direc Tv or no? I could be wrong. But I to am watching how this situation develops. I need Tupelo- Channel 9 WTVA for North, Mississippi news. Memphis channels are great but when it comes to the news i'd rather watch a station closer to my home instead of Memphis, Tennessee and Shelby County News.

#7 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:13 PM

Ironically, I remember when a letter to the editor was printed in The Clarion Ledger in Jackson, MS. The letter was from Sonny Clower, who is the brother of the late humorist/storyteller Jerry Clower. Sonny lives in Amite County near Liberty, MS. Amite County is one of two SW MS counties that fall in the Baton Rouge DMA.

He was quite mad that he couldn't get Jackson stations to get Mississippi news when the Jackson DMA was offered locals. He could care less about Baton Rouge stations.

With SV, he may be able to get 3 and 12 from Jackson as they would probably be significantly viewed in his county. According to Cable One, though, they receive all of the Jackson stations in Liberty on cable, since their main receive facility is in McComb, which is in the Jackson DMA. Amite County may be an interesting county to resolve in regards to SV.

#8 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:49 AM

The two MS counties in the Baton Rouge DMA are specifically covered by 17USC119(a)(2)©(iv) as ammended by SHVERA section 102. See this thread.

Significantly viewed is defined by FCC regs in 47CFR76.5(i) as follows:

Significantly viewed. Viewed in other than cable television
households as follows: (1) For a full or partial network station--a
share of viewing hours of at least 3 percent (total week hours), and a
net weekly circulation of at least 25 percent; and (2) for an
independent station--a share of viewing hours of at least 2 percent
(total week hours), and a net weekly circulation of at least 5 percent.
See Sec. 76.54.

Note: As used in this paragraph, ``share of viewing hours'' means
the total hours that noncable television households viewed the subject
station during the week, expressed as a percentage of the total hours
these households viewed all stations during the period,
and ``net weekly circulation'' means the number of noncable television
households that viewed the station for 5 minutes or more during the
entire week, expressed as a percentage of the total noncable television
households in the survey area.

#9 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

I'm not sure how they'll handle the additional stations. For example our cable company carries Terre Haute and Champaign stations--Terre Haute being the primary DMA. However, we do not get Champaign NBC or Fox but the rest. The county next to us does not get anything but Terre Haute and a Nashville ABC station. Their cable is different company and doesn't get Champaign, but the counties north of us to the northwest all get Champaign. The two counties below us in the Terre Haute DMA get Evansville stations not Champaign. Then counties to the far southwest get Terre Haute and St. Louis, MO stations. Most cable companies now carry additional cities besides Terre Haute only since TH delays primetime 7 months of the year and only provides CBS, NBC, and Fox.

#10 OFFLINE   jfraz

jfraz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:45 PM

I remember Sonny Clower writing a similar letter to the editor of our local newspaper. It was odd that he claimed not to care about the Baton Rouge local stations when he has a sixty foot antenna tower at his home with one antenna pointed toward Baton Rouge an the other to Jackson. Anyway I'm glad that he will now be able to have it both ways. Here are some recent articles that appeared in our local paper.

http://www.enterpris....90BE3 cat=news

http://www.enterpris....25BD4 cat=news

http://www.enterpris....625C5 cat=news

#11 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:14 AM

I just hope that the significantly viewed channels that we will be able to receive we won't be charged an extra $1.99 a channel or whatever for them. We should just be able to receive them as a continuation of our Local channels that we are already receiving. I just don't understand why all this has to be so complicated and for so many years folks trying to receive local network channels have been met with so many road blocks. It is about time that they eased up on these laws and start providing these locals.

#12 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:29 AM

Sonny probably has to have the Baton Rouge antenna to receive ABC. Jackson ABC 16 is probably drowned out by WMAU 17 in Bude where he is located.

#13 OFFLINE   jfraz

jfraz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:51 AM

That PBS station really interferes with WAPT, even here in Lincoln County. You're probably right.

#14 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:05 PM

CableOne in McComb and Brookhaven have both Jackson and NO/BR locals. They even use the digital channels now, when possible. It was easy to tell when they switched over; the Baton Rouge ABC started looking better than Jackson, even though it's farther away! It does break up every once in a while, especially in bad weather. I've also seen some cable companies in North MS also have two DMAs, usually Jackson and Greenville.

I grew up in Brookhaven, and 16 and 17 always gave me trouble too. 16 is weak enough in Brookhaven, so it's almost impossible to get further south. Their coverage area and pattern are much worse than the other Jackson stations. Liberty doesn't stand a chance at getting 16, since 17's tower is about 5 miles away! However, the ABC in Baton Rouge is on 2, so of course it has a huge coverage area; well into Pike and Amite counties.

#15 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

One local station I know of in my hometown area always acts like no other CBS station can available on cable due to non-network duplication or something, but yet the cable now carries 2 different CBS stations. No one wants the Terre Haute, IN stations anymore because they delay network shows by one hour from April-October every year. They want an alternative station for 7-10pm primetime like it should be.

#16 OFFLINE   wkomorow

wkomorow

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:44 PM

Does this mean we will be able to view another city's entire lineup of local channels or will we just get 1 of them from neighboring markets? For Example i live in Memphis, Tennessee's DMA Currently. Will i be able to receive Tupelo, Columbus Ms locals and Nashville, Tennessee Locals? There are literally 3 DMA's in my area that are VERY Near one another and kind of over lap. I'm going to be disappointed if we can only receive just 1 "Significantly" Viewed channel. I'm waiting to hear there definition of Significant. They should allow us to view all or none is the way i look at it.

Unfortunately, it looks like none. According to the FCC document, significantly viewed for Shelby will be:

Shelby
WREG-TV, 3, Memphis, TN (formerly WREC)
WMC-TV, 5, Memphis, TN
WHBQ-TV, 13, Memphis, TN
+WLMT, 30, Memphis, TN

I really do believe there are "significant" problems with THE list.

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

There is an ABC 7 Station in Jackson, Tennessee WBBJ TV that is on local cable here in the Northeastern Mississippi town that I live in. I think that this channel is available on Direc Tv or no? I could be wrong.

Being born in Jackson, TN and having a lot of family in that area, I can tell you that the ABC affiliate out of Jackson, TN is not currently available either on DirecTV or Dish Network.

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

IMHO - if your cable company is carrying it, or you can receive it OTA - you should be allowed to receive it via DBS. But that is just one man's opinion.

As I've said in a earlier post, two "Significantly Viewed" channels currently being carried by the Cable company in my area were not on the list. Should I write and correct them?!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...