Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Inform DBS About the Significantly Viewed Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dallas_axelrod

dallas_axelrod

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:52 PM

I've seen mentions of significantly viewed channels in all different threads. I say that we start a running list of the significantly viewed channels in one thread. This will provide a clearinghouse so that we can all know which channels that DISH or DTV may be making available next year, and which channels we should be pushing our provider to offer.

From reading various threads at DBStalk, I've figured out that significantly viewed stations are carried on a county-by-county basis, so be sure to include your county and state in your reply. I say that we also limit our list to ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX affiliates. In addition, you should only include channels that are carried by your local cable company because these are the only ones that are guaranteed to be significantly viewed by the FCC. I say that you also include a hyper link to your local cable company's channel line-up if available for verification purposes.

I suggest using the following format:

County, State, Significantly Viewed Station [Call Letters-Network Affiliation], Cable System, Cable System Webpage of Channel Line-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dallas_axelrod

dallas_axelrod

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:09 PM

To start, here are 4 channels in the Hartford, CT DMA that are offered to cable subscribers in Fairfield County, CT which is actually part of the NY DMA. These are signficantly viewed stations.

County of Fairfield, Connecticut, WFSB-CBS, Cablevision, http://tvlistings4.z...partner_id=cabe
County of Fairfield, Connecticut, WVIT-NBC, Cablevision, http://tvlistings4.z...partner_id=cabe
County of Fairfield, Connecticut, WTNH-ABC, Cablevision, http://tvlistings4.z...partner_id=cabe
County of Fairfield, Connecticut, WTIC-FOX, Cablevision, http://tvlistings4.z...partner_id=cabe

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:14 PM

Actually, significantly viewed stations will be done on a community by community (not county by county) basis. Having said that, I'll start off:

Northern Butler (to an area between & Hamilton/Middletown ), Ohio. Dayton, Oh locals...all of them.

Northern-most Warren, Ohio, Dayton, Oh nets

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:55 AM

The FCC should have the official list up by March.
SHVERA is now at the White House and is just a few penstrokes from being law!

Rule of thumb (until the FCC list is up):
If an out of market channel is on cable it is most likely significantly viewed as well.

JL

#5 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:20 AM

Not all OOM stations on cable are SV.

SV stations are exempt from SYNDEX blackouts. So if it's on cable, and has duplicating syndicated programming that is not blacked out, then it's probably SV. (Even then it's no guarantee, because local stations must request syndex protection, and sometimes they don't.)

#6 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:15 PM

here are 6 channels in the Philadelphia, PA DMA that are offered to cable subscribers in Ocean County, NJ which is actually part of the NY DMA. These are signficantly viewed stations.

County of Ocean, New Jersey, KYW-CBS, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WPVI-ABC, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WCAU-NBC, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WHYY-PBS, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WPHL-WB, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WTXF-FOX, Comcast

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#7 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:40 PM

Aitkin, MN
Charter cable has the following Duluth, MN stations (Minneapolis DMA)
WDIO 10 (ABC)
KBJR 6 (NBC)

#8 OFFLINE   gbranch

gbranch

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:05 PM

Longview, TX
Gregg County
Tyler-Longview DMA

KTBS 3 Shreveport, LA ABC On Longview Cable and Grade B OTA
KTAL 6 Texarkana -Shreveport NBC On Longview Cable and Grade B OTA
KSLA 12 Shreveport, LA CBS On Longview Cable and Grade B OTA
KDFW 4 Dallas-Ft.Worth FOX On Longview Cable
KXAS 5 Ft. Worth-Dallas NBC On Longview Cable
KTVT 11 Ft. Worth-Dallas CBS Removed from Longview Cable 6/2004 in lieu of KYTX
KERA 13 Dallas PBS On Longview Cable

Additionally 3 UHF stations from Shreveport are NOT on Longview Cable but available Grade B OTA in at least parts of the county:
KLTS 24 PBS Grade B OTA in NE parts of county
KMSS 33 FOX Grade B OTA in eastern 2/3 of county (most of city of Longview)
KSHV 45 WB Grade B OTA in NE parts of county
Later,
---
Greg S. Branch

#9 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:03 PM

Actually, significantly viewed stations will be done on a community by community (not county by county) basis. Having said that, I'll start off:

Northern Butler (to an area between & Hamilton/Middletown ), Ohio. Dayton, Oh locals...all of them.

Northern-most Warren, Ohio, Dayton, Oh nets

See ya
Tony

How can they do it community by community? If that is the case who makes the decision on what stations that community wants to see or can get? I know there are certain locals the county beside us could view if their cable company (Charter) would add them to the lineup. But since our county is Mediacom, we get more locals from other areas than they do simply because they are on Charter.

#10 OFFLINE   jc17981

jc17981

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:32 PM

My gripe about using cable lineups to determine significantly viewed status is that the cable companies dictate which channels are offered - even to the objections of subscribers. For example, in my hometown of Waynesville, NC, we are considered part of the Greenville (SC) DMA. However, growing up, the cable lineup consisted of the following out of market stations:
2 - WKOP (formerly WSJK) Sneedville, TN
3 - WBTV Charlotte, NC
5 - WCYB Bristol, VA
10 - WBIR Knoxville, TN

During the early 1980s, Sammons Communications (now Charter Cable) removed all but WSJK. In 2000, Charter removed that channel amidst a huge community uproar.

Depending on location (mountain/valley), these channels can - and still are being watched.

So, my point is that by using cable lineups to determine status, the cable companies have even more power. Some less subjective means should be used - possibly signal contour models.

#11 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:10 PM

So, my point is that by using cable lineups to determine status, the cable companies have even more power. Some less subjective means should be used - possibly signal contour models.

Well in that case you can add the following to Ocean County, NJ:
WMGM-TV - NBC - Wildwood, NJ
WMCN-DT - IND - Atlantic City, NJ
WGTW-TV - TBN - Burlington, NJ
WWSI-TV - TEL - Atlantic City, NJ
WPPX-TV - PAX - Wilmington, DE
WYBE-TV - PBS - Philadelphia, PA

All of the above come in with even a small outdoor antenna in Ocean County, even though none of them have cable carriage there.

(I know for a fact that WMGM & WMCN both have some OTA viewership in Ocean County)

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#12 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:50 AM

Tupelo / Columbus DMA

NOTE: An article in the NE Mississippi Daily Journal stated that ALL Memphis channels are scheduled to be removed from the Tupelo Comcast lineup despite subscriber opposition. http://www.djournal....ub=1&div=Sports

Personal Note:

I hate the WTVA / WLOV / WKDH group of stations. That keep their local logo or "bug" up at all times, even during commercials. That is STUPID!!!!!!

WCBI is becoming a more professional operating station, but I still like WREG better.

My hope is to be able to get most of the Memphis stations at my home in Itawamba County on D*.

Tupelo Comcast (inside city limits)
WMC-TV 5 - NBC Memphis
WHBQ-TV 13 - Fox Memphis
WREG-TV 3 - CBS Memphis - recently removed

Tupelo Comcast (Lee and Itawamba Counties)
WMC-TV 5 - NBC Memphis
WREG-TV 3 - CBS Memphis - recently removed

Vista III Media - Houston / Pontotoc / Water Valley, MS
WREG - CBS - Memphis
WMC - NBC - Memphis
WHBQ - Fox - Memphis
WPTY - ABC - Memphis
WLMT - UPN/WB - Memphis

#13 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:50 PM

mcrutland I live in Alcorn County Mississippi which right now on Direc Tv I am only serviced with the Memphis, Tennessee Local Channels. On Local Cable here on Comcast we had WTVA Channel 9 out of Tupelo. I am hoping that Direc Tv soon offers us Direc Tv subscribers in Alcorn County the WTVA Channel. Only thing I need that channel for is the 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. news because Tupelo has North Mississippi News. I'd rather see it for Local News and Weather. Any other programming on NBC i'd watch Channel 5 WMC TV out of Memphis. It's a much better feed without that annoying channel Logo Constantly at the bottom right of the screen like WTVA Channel 9 has. I wonder why NBC hasn't forced the affiliate in Tupelo to take that Logo off while national programming is being run. Most stations put there channel Logo up for a few seconds when the program comes back on after commercial. But Channel 9 Leaves there Logo up continuously and that is Very Annoying. Have you e-mailed a complaint to WTVA.com to see what kind of response the station has?

#14 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:39 PM

I should email my complaint. I will do so and see what the results will be.

Here is a copy of the email.

Mr. Ledbetter,

I want to first complement your news department for fine reporting. I would now like to register a complaint with you. For a few years now, your group of stations has had their logos in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I have noticed that they appear during commercials and during network programming.

I have a friend who receives WNBC via satellite. The logo is only up during local syndicated programming and for a few seconds before the network logo pops up. In short, it's a much better feed without that annoying channel logo constantly at the bottom right of the screen.

WTVA is always my source for news, but I watch WMC for its network programming because they do not add their logo to the screen. Since Comcast has said that WMC will be removed from their system, I have no choice but to endure the logo. I would request that the "9" logo not be used during network programming. I would also like to ask that WLOV's and WKDH's logo not be used either.

My request may sound stupid, but removal of the logos during commercials and network programming will give all viewers a better viewing experience.

Matthew Rutland,
Fulton, MS
Ole Miss Student

#15 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:37 AM

That's a good letter Matthew. I'd love to hear what Mr. Ledbetters response if any is. It's been like that for more than just a few years now. It's been like this about 9 or 10 years and I wish that WTVA, WLOV, and WKDH would take there channel logo's off the screen. As Far as I know they are the only place in the world that keeps them continuously on the screen and when i used to have Cable i hated watching any NBC Content on Channel 9 from Tupelo. It is clutter on the screen. I'd hate to know one day I was watching HD Content with that annoying Channel Logo always on screen. NBC should force the channel to remove the logo if they want to continue to carry there programming. NBC already puts up there company logo the NBC Peacock on the right hand side of the screen and that should be enough.

#16 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:37 AM

mcrutland I live in Alcorn County Mississippi which right now on Direc Tv I am only serviced with the Memphis, Tennessee Local Channels. On Local Cable here on Comcast we had WTVA Channel 9 out of Tupelo. I am hoping that Direc Tv soon offers us Direc Tv subscribers in Alcorn County the WTVA Channel. Only thing I need that channel for is the 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. news because Tupelo has North Mississippi News. I'd rather see it for Local News and Weather. Any other programming on NBC i'd watch Channel 5 WMC TV out of Memphis. It's a much better feed without that annoying channel Logo Constantly at the bottom right of the screen like WTVA Channel 9 has. I wonder why NBC hasn't forced the affiliate in Tupelo to take that Logo off while national programming is being run. Most stations put there channel Logo up for a few seconds when the program comes back on after commercial. But Channel 9 Leaves there Logo up continuously and that is Very Annoying. Have you e-mailed a complaint to WTVA.com to see what kind of response the station has?

WGCL, Ch46, the local CBS affiliate here in Atlanta has their logo on the screen at all times next to the CBS logo. It is annoying and distracting. These stations know we can't legally get the network feeds from distant stations, so they feel they can do whatever they like. That's why we are seeing a barrage of logos and animated promos during programs.

What these people fail to realize is that their obnoxious tactics are just driving away more viewers to other sources of entertainment like DVDs, video on demand, and even video games. With so many shows going to DVD shortly after the end of the TV season, I know a lot of people who are skipping the network broadcasts entirely and waiting for the DVD release, when they can watch a show free of any interruptions, including the commercials.

#17 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:10 PM

The Channel Logo's being held up on the screen for the entire time are really sad. Especially when you are trying to watch a football game and there is all kinds of data that is on the screen already. It is a bit too much. The Score of the game, the Network Logo, scores of other games that pop up. The Networks should phone these stations and tell them to take there station Logo's Down during national programs and especially for sports.

#18 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 08:34 PM

here are 6 channels in the Philadelphia, PA DMA that are offered to cable subscribers in Ocean County, NJ which is actually part of the NY DMA. These are signficantly viewed stations.

County of Ocean, New Jersey, KYW-CBS, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WPVI-ABC, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WCAU-NBC, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WHYY-PBS, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WPHL-WB, Comcast
County of Ocean, New Jersey, WTXF-FOX, Comcast

Ditto here in Southeastern Monmouth County, NJ (which abuts Ocean County)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...