Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a deadline for Max. power for OTA digitals?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:14 PM

It's been about a year and a half now and three out of five of my local digital stations are still low power. I still can't effectively receive two of them which are some distance away. I thought that there was some FCC requirement that gives them a deadline and it seems with the present state of affairs, waivers extentions may or may not be allowed. Any good info. out there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:53 PM

IIf I remember correctly ,it seems like it is July of 2006 when they have to be all high powered. The following website is very good about providing details about all the FCC changes.

www.tvtechnology.com

#3 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:11 PM

For top 100 DMA's the deadline is July 2005.

All other stations the deadline is July 2006.

#4 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

Sav Ga is in the top 100 but only NBC is full power, FOX and ABC are parking lot power and no HD. CBS is less than full power and has not changed in 3 yrs

#5 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

oljim,

you dug up an old one. So to update, we still have the 5 digital stations three of which are at low power. All five are now doing HD when available. Our local FOX is supposed to go to full power this month. Hopefully ABC and PBS will soon follow.

John

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

For top 100 DMA's the deadline is July 2005.

All other stations the deadline is July 2006.

My DMA is iirc #16. Our main PBS channel (WVIZ) is running a whopping 1kw on a 99' tower. I can just barely get the signal 4 miles from the tower.

Their analog signal is on a tower that they do not own. Supposedly there are issues with the tower owner regarding the installation of the digital antenna.

There is a station in the next DMA (WKBN Youngstown) that had a similar issue with their tower owner. This kept them off the air while their two competitors went digital first. They finally went on the air and now has the best coverage of any DTV signal in Northeast Ohio! Their signal covers all of Cleveland and parts of Pittsburgh! I can pick them up with an indoor Silver Sensor 56 miles from the tower. Their competitors are still "low power" btw.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

MY local Cbs station engineer when I wrote him, responded that this July there is no deadline for all the engineers to go full power. That they only have to go full power or they will lose their over the air interference protection. Which means that any other tv station can put up a full power tv antenna tower in their area and it could cause interfernce and there is nothing that they can do, because they didn't meet the deadline for July 2006. So according to him there is no mandate for the rest of the tv dmas, other than the top 100, to go full power by this July. I bet when the analog tv goes off in 2009 there will be a rush to go full power by all the rest of the tv stations, or there will be no one watching.

#8 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:52 AM

MY local Cbs station engineer when I wrote him, responded that this July there is no deadline for all the engineers to go full power. That they only have to go full power or they will lose their over the air interference protection. Which means that any other tv station can put up a full power tv antenna tower in their area and it could cause interfernce and there is nothing that they can do, because they didn't meet the deadline for July 2006. So according to him there is no mandate for the rest of the tv dmas, other than the top 100, to go full power by this July. I bet when the analog tv goes off in 2009 there will be a rush to go full power by all the rest of the tv stations, or there will be no one watching.

I just finished viewing the FCC pdf (FCC 04-192) relating to digital to full power process for ABC, CBS, NBS, and Fox (no mention of PSB). What you post and what the engineer is telling you is correct. The first 100 DMA markets were to go full power by July1, 2005, the remaining market are to go full power by July 1, 2006 for "interference protection deadline." If they remain on their current digital channel after the transition, the stations must fully, "replicate and maximize" by this date. If they move to another channel post-transition, they must be serving by July 2006 at least 80% of the number of viewers served by the 1997 facility on which their replication was based (whatever this means?).

If a station fails to go full power by this deadline, such as a station in my DMA, this DMA may suffer little if any affects form another station in any given DMA as there are many miles and mountains restricting an effective signal. I believe the FCC will still regulate same DMA channels so not to allow interference. So it is quite possible that remote DMA's could remain on low power thus giving up their interference protection. It will be interesting to see how this would play out as now the low-power stations will compete for channel assignments.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...