Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Dropping CNN International

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

I noticed Sunday evening they were running a crawler on CNNI stating that they would be dropping that channel and stating that the other two CNN channels would continue. I hope that have another good source of international news waiting in the wings to replace it. I'd like to see them carry BBC World or even Deutsche Welle's English service. I find most US news sources too superficial where international news is concerned. Anyone know how Murdoch's Sky B/C measures up?
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:49 PM

I noticed Sunday evening they were running a crawler on CNNI stating that they would be dropping that channel and stating that the other two CNN channels would continue. I hope that have another good source of international news waiting in the wings to replace it. I'd like to see them carry BBC World or even Deutsche Welle's English service. I find most US news sources too superficial where international news is concerned. Anyone know how Murdoch's Sky B/C measures up?

Are you sure it was CNN International and not CNN/FN? CNN/FN will cease all broadcasting on December 15.
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

From the crawl that ran at midnight...

Beginning Dec. 16th, 2004 CNN International will no longer be available on DIRECTV. Customers can still view CNN on channel 203 and CNN Headline News on channel 204.

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:10 AM

DirecTV carries CNN/FN and CNN International on a shared basis and with CNN/FN going away, DirecTV may have to re-do a deal to carry CNN International on a full time basis and that is something they have decided against right now since CNN International is not all that popular.
I know there are a few out there who watch it and I also have turned it on once in a great while but the majority do not turn it on enough to keep it..

The loss of Trio and CNN International/CNN-Fn won't break my heart any. Maybe DirecTV can get rid a couple shopping and church channels while at it..

#5 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:59 AM

The loss of Trio and CNN International/CNN-Fn won't break my heart any. Maybe DirecTV can get rid a couple shopping and church channels while at it..

How about TVGuide - does anyone actually watch that channel?
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#6 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:48 AM

Beginning Dec. 16th, 2004 CNN International will no longer be available on DIRECTV. Customers can still view CNN on channel 203 and CNN Headline News on channel 204.

Nuts.

I was kind of hoping that CNNI would stay on with the demise of CNNfn.

So how long before D* gives us BBC World or SkyNews (or any number of other English language services not available on cable or anywhere else in the US for that matter)?

I won't hold my breath -- after all, it's far easier for them to upload yet another foreign language channel while losing English language programming (FSN Chicago; Trio; CNNI/fn)...
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#7 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:02 AM

That is a very annoying channel, especially on satellite. We have an EPG that allows you to see a certain time and channel whenever you want instead of having to wait while it scrolls through tons of channels only 90 minutes out. The little snippit stories are silly and the constant commercials make the channel a waste. DirecTV and DISH should drop it and put something useful in its place.
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:05 AM

I would prefer D* gave us the paint drying channel over TV Guide anyday. I have said from day 1 that TV Guide channel was a waste of bandwidth.

#9 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:24 AM

We can do a little better than paint drying - how about a fish tank or fireplace?

#10 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:27 AM

We can do a little better than paint drying - how about a fish tank or fireplace?

Maybe a split screen with both. :)
Chad

#11 OFFLINE   dhomoney

dhomoney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:39 AM

Yeah what is the point since D* gives us a guide built in our receivers. It really is a joke. They could stand to lose the shopping channels as well. More wasted bandwidth. Drop those and add some HD content.

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, who really wants The Anime Network, International Channel, Goodlife TV, or Classic Arts Showcase? What we really want is the Watch Grass Grow, Watch Snow Fall, or the ever popular Dumpster Cam.

I'm not kidding. A few years ago, one of the cable companies was actually broadcasting the security camera of the dumpster in the back. Lord knows why. Maybe they thought it would qualify as a public interest channel.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#13 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:00 PM

Security camera - if we can vote, how about the one at the pool for the Hard Rock in Vegas!

#14 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:23 PM

Get ready for more networks to say goodbye. To many stations and with all the choices you get watered down Television. I would rather have less stations with more on them. I spend most of my money on dvds now.

#15 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:29 PM

Security camera - if we can vote, how about the one at the pool for the Hard Rock in Vegas!

Naw I vote for a Security Cam at the Bunny Ranch in Vegas. One in each room..:D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#16 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:01 PM

Does DirecTV's EPG show data for CNN/FN/I past the 15th? DISH's still shows full programming as far as I can see (12/21).
Chad

#17 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:40 PM

DirecTV and DISH should drop it and put something useful in its place.

I doubt Dish and DirecTV would carry TV Guide channel on their own free will. The channel was added as a part of an agreement with Gemstar, don't count on this channel ever going away anytime soon.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#18 OFFLINE   teknophyle

teknophyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:17 PM

Get ready for more networks to say goodbye. To many stations and with all the choices you get watered down Television. I would rather have less stations with more on them. I spend most of my money on dvds now.

DTV are dropping these channels to make room for new sports networks. The church channels are public service and I think must carry. Soon you will see less entertainment/varity and more sports. I personally would rather see more entertainment/varity but DTV is all about the sports.

#19 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:29 PM

CNN on Channel 203? CNN is on channel 202 on Direc Tv

#20 OFFLINE   midnight75

midnight75

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:39 PM

That would be a good channel for them to get rid of. It's a big waste of bandwith in my opinion.
'It's time to play the feud!'
Richard Dawson

Protected By... spam firewall...And...