Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FCC to Tackle Program Access Rules

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 03:34 AM

The Federal Communications Commission will tackle the touchy issue of program access for satellite TV at its meeting Thursday.

The program access rules, contained in the 1992 Cable Act, allow satellite TV companies to access programming and content owned or dominated by cable interests. The rules are scheduled to sunset in October.

Satellite TV interests have been lobbying the FCC to keep the rules intact, while cable operators, such as Comcast, have been pushing for a sunset of the laws. Any FCC action also could deal with terrestrial delivery of cable programming, a loophole that prevents certain cable programming from reaching satellite TV viewers.

Comcast's SportsNet channel in Philadelphia uses terrestrial means to deliver the network to cable headends, while at the same time keeping the content out of the hands of satellite TV operators.

During the meeting Thursday, the commission will consider a report and order on program access rules and also will take a look at cable prices and its annual assessment of multichannel competition.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 06:52 AM

My guess is the weasels at the FCC will push it off exactly as it is leaving the loop hole intact until 2006. Then the excrement will strike the oscilating rotating air flow device.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,813 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 June 2002 - 08:52 AM

Anyone got a docket number for comments?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

spam firewall