Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Paxson: DirecTV tried .........

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 12:10 PM

PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION V. DIRECTV, INC.. Denied Motion for Stay of Bureau decision granting must carry complaint filed by Paxson Communications Corporation. Action by: Deputy Chief of the Media Bureau. Adopted: 06/07/2002 by MO&O. (DA No. 02-1358). MB
http://hraunfoss.fcc...A-02-1358A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc...A-02-1358A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc...A-02-1358A1.txt

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 02:07 PM

Paxson is an absolute waste of bandwidth with the national feed, but now they must carry 36 locals as well - ugh! I added it up yesterday, and the national feed of Pax (channel 255) broadcast nine hours of programming, the rest was "Paid Programming."
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   BrettR

BrettR

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 05:05 PM

Originally posted by karl_f
Paxson is an absolute waste of bandwidth with the national feed, but now they must carry 36 locals as well - ugh! I added it up yesterday, and the national feed of Pax (channel 255) broadcast nine hours of programming, the rest was "Paid Programming."

I agree.

Locally in my market, Paxson does among the least to serve the community also. I am not including the Spanish channels, I dont think that highly of WWSI or WUVP either. Ch. 3 (CBS), Ch.6 (ABC), Ch.10 (NBC), Ch.17 (WB), and Ch.29 (Fox) all take serious attempt and offer local news, local sports, etc. WPSG 57 (UPN) has a Sixers, Flyers, Phillies package of OTA games and is co-owned by Ch.3. NJN takes effort reaching to everyone in NJ.
WFMZ 69 is an Allentown based independent taking serious attempt to compete in local news against bigger Philadelphia Network owned stations.

WWAC 53 offers regional programming for everyone in South Jersey. WGTW 48 is an indy, they have classic shows, game shows, and they transmit with Phily stations. They dont rely on paid religion and paid programming like PAX does. WYBE 35 is like World Link TV, WHYY 12 is the Wilmington DE/Philadelphia PBS.

Seriously, PAX 61 is crap compared to the rest. First they dont transmit with the other Philly stations. So, reception for most of this station is spotty. You need lifeline cable, or a special antenna or rotor for this channel. Kinda defeats the point of free TV, the point of must-carry. They arent regional. They have their offices in Philadelphia, tower in South Jersey, licensed to Delaware, but they dont really offer anything of value to any of these states. The only "local" programming they carry is rebroadcast of NBC 10 News which costs them nothing to produce.

As for market share, PAX 61 gets a less than 1 rating in Philly market. This is before DirecTV even did locals in Philly! Any advertiser would rather go and advertise on WB 17, UPN 57, Comcast and if they can afford it on Ch. 3, 6, and 10, 29. This ruling really makes me upset. Paxson agreed to DirecTV that DirecTV would not have to carry their local stations. With this, DirecTV agreed to carry the national feed and PAX gets the benefit of people and advertisers nationally being able to get their channel on DirecTV. Then Paxson decided to basically dishonor their contract with DirecTV by mustcarrying all their stations also! And worse, the Commission sides with PAX. Commission sided with Comcast over Comcast SportsNet too.

So now, DirecTV will be carrying more locals than my local Comcast!! But still no Comcast SportsNet. What a waste! :( DirecTV is losing money doing locals in Philly, and this will just drive up our monthly subscriptions. Atleast with YES, ESPN, its programming people WANT. There is nothing on these PAX stations. They just air re-runs and really bad cable-network like programming. Really, PAX wouldnt even be a good cable network if it was just that. We also know that PAX wont be delivering a fiber connection either. Since Ch.61 is technically Grade A into Philly, we know PAX will go the cheap way and just stick an antenna up also.

spam firewall