Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hughes GAEBO Receiver Rating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JAMHRR

JAMHRR

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 07:41 AM

How well does the Hughes GAEBO receiver work? I am thinking about changing receivers.

I have an RCA DRD450RG and this receiver stinks. It takes about 5 seconds for the guide to come up on the screen. It also takes about 5 seconds for it to react when you change the channel. (pushing each number individually.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 10:10 AM

The new Hughes receivers are hands down the fastest DirecTV receivers ever built. The guide appears with no delay at all, and the receiver is very responsive overall.

#3 OFFLINE   mgarland

mgarland

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 11:06 AM

Well, I don't have the GAEBO, but I have the next step up - the Executive Director (GCEBO). I think it's a fantastic receiver. The guide is top notch, VERY speedy. And the remote control is wonderful - it has a joystick-type control that makes channel changing and selections really quick.

I recommend it.
-matt

#4 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 11:21 AM

Welcome to dbstalk, mgarland!
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#5 OFFLINE   mgarland

mgarland

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Neil Derryberry
Welcome to dbstalk, mgarland!

Well thank you much!
-matt

#6 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 02:56 PM

Originally posted by JAMHRR
How well does the Hughes GAEBO receiver work? I am thinking about changing receivers.

I have two of the GAEBO's. Overall I'm satisfied. Like some others here (and on other boards) my caller ID works intermittently. Also, am I the only one who thinks "advancing ahead" in the guide takes a wee bit too long....at least IMHO it seems to take longer than it does with my D-45 (4th gen) and E-45 (5th gen). Also, I notice that *sometimes* when I try to hit previous channel it takes me to the previous channel I may have checked out on the bottom banner for show information.....NOT the previous channel I was just viewing.

All in all, I like it (as I do ALL my Hughes receivers) better than the RCA's I 've used....and the Sony's a few friends have.

#7 OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 04:52 PM

I also have the GCEBO and it's a top notch receiver. There is one feature that I don't particularly like but I do see the reasoning behind. When a channel number is dialed via the remote, the screen shows places for four digits instead of the usual three. This means that there are a few seconds of delay before the receiver switches to the dialed channel. You can, however, get around that delay by either dialing zero before hitting the three numbers for the channel or by dialing the three numbers and immediately hitting the select key. Hughes did this in order to plan for some future features that will require a four digit number to be entered. The remote is very slick and easy to use.

#8 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:22 AM

I'd second the 4 digits issue. The issue I have with my remote is that there is no enter button to remove the delay. If I hit 45, I have to wait until the reciever forwards me on to the channel. I would like to hit 45 enter, like on my Sonys....

#9 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 06:41 AM

Pressing SELECT acts like an enter button when entering a channel number, if I remember correctly.

#10 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:50 AM

Is there a way to keep the current channel in the display while browsing another channel? Overall, I think the recv is excellent.
HarryD

#11 OFFLINE   mgarland

mgarland

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:52 AM

Originally posted by HarryD
Is there a way to keep the current channel in the display while browsing another channel? Overall, I think the recv is excellent.

Here, here! It is annoying that the guide automatically switches the watched channel on you. You should have to hit Select or something.

#12 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 13 June 2002 - 06:31 PM

Originally posted by timf
Pressing SELECT acts like an enter button when entering a channel number, if I remember correctly.

i don't know why it never dawned on my to try that huge button in the middle.... :lol:

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2002 - 12:22 AM

i have the executive director pack gceboa gold box ,i am hard to please, i am very critical of guide systems ,i must say the guide system is the best i have seen. it is extreamly fast and fun to use . the remote is great. it is fully backlite ,and controls all my other devices, however the first remote was slightly defective so hughes sent me a relacement that works fine, no big deal. BUT, now for the problems !! My box is impossible to soft boot, the slightest freeze or disruption in the signal will cause this unit to lock up .I cant soft boot it so the only way to restore my picture is to kill the power(pull plug), it will then re-aquire the satelite but IT LOOSES ALL ITS FAVORITES AND SETTINGS!!! THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM .according to hughes, many of these recievers have this problem and a software up-grade is on the way ! but my experiance with these upgrades via satelite is that they never happen . Any one else having this same problem?????? i could always hook up my spare rca drd480 re, wich is far better than the rca drd 450 RG (wich sucks btw), but i enjoy this hughes model so much i`ll stick it out and just complain to dtv and hughes for now.

#14 Guest_bengalfreak_*

Guest_bengalfreak_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2002 - 02:59 PM

You guys seem to know alot about Hughes receivers. I have a question. I have a new GCEB0 receiver. Is there any way to get this thing to stay on the channel I am currently watching while I surf the guide. Having the channel change everytime I switch the guide cursor is very annoying. The Hughes web site says the receiver is supposed to be able to do this, but the owner's manual is really bare bones and leaves alot of options out completely. I tried their 800# customer support, but there is never an option to speak to someone live. any help would be greatly appreciated.

#15 OFFLINE   mgarland

mgarland

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 06:04 AM

Originally posted by bengalfreak
You guys seem to know alot about Hughes receivers. I have a question. I have a new GCEB0 receiver. Is there any way to get this thing to stay on the channel I am currently watching while I surf the guide. Having the channel change everytime I switch the guide cursor is very annoying. The Hughes web site says the receiver is supposed to be able to do this, but the owner's manual is really bare bones and leaves alot of options out completely. I tried their 800# customer support, but there is never an option to speak to someone live. any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, there is no way of keeping the channel you're watching while surfing the guide, which is a MAJOR pain for me (and most, I'd imagine).

cheers,
-matt

#16 Guest_David T_*

Guest_David T_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2002 - 07:40 PM

Move the cursor to the actual channel banner. This will allow you to move up/down w/o changing the picture. Of course, if you want to see details on a program you do have to move it to that selection, which will cause the video to switch to that channel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...