Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distant HD network Feed Waivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   collin23

collin23

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 02:22 PM

I am about to get Directv installed on Monday and will be using the HD Tivo. I live in Las Cruces and I am not able to receive any of the El Paso High Definition network feeds. I would like to have Direct TV submit special HDTV waivers to my local stations but they say that they are not allowed to because locals are offered by them for El Paso. I even contacted my ABC station and the person in charge of waivers said that he would even be willing to help me, when the waiver showed up on his desk. He could not promise anything but said he would work with his company headquarters.
Here are my questions
1. Does the new law allow for HDTV distant network feed waivers, even when SD locals are offered?
2. If so, how can we can get Directv customer service to understand this and soon?

I really want to be able to watch Alias, Lost and Jay Leno in HD and some of my local stations are even willing to help me, but I am currently at a stand still if no waivers can be even attempted.

To add, I went and researched the bill and found that the waiver provision is still there. Here it is....So why can't the sat companies still at least try and submit a waiver, even if SD locals are offered by them. Here is the provison

SEC. 104. WAIVERS.

Section 119(a) of title 17, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:

`(14) WAIVERS- A subscriber who is denied the secondary transmission of a network station under paragraph (4)©, or is denied the secondary transmission of a network station or a superstation under paragraph (3)(B), may request a waiver from such denial by submitting a request, through the subscriber's satellite carrier, to the network station or superstation in the local market where the subscriber is located. The network station or superstation shall accept or reject the subscriber's request for a waiver within 30 days after receipt of the request. If the network station or superstation fails to accept or reject the subscriber's request for a waiver within that 30-day period, that network station or superstation, as the case may be, shall be deemed to agree to the waiver request. Unless specifically stated by the network station or superstation, a waiver under section 339©(2) of the Communications Act shall not constitute a waiver for purposes of this paragraph.'.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:36 AM

DirecTV is correct. Under the new law, if you do not presently have DNS (Distant Network Signals), you canNOT get a waiver to receive the HD ones if you are able to get your locals from DirecTV. Such locals are called "local-into-local," and if you are able to get them from DirecTV, as you currently are, then you are prohibited from getting the DNS feeds, even with a waiver.

#3 OFFLINE   buntdp

buntdp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:36 PM

Call this number 1-800-263-0028 at Directv. They are the ones that know whats going on. This is the HD Dept.
Hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   collin23

collin23

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:22 PM

I have tried calling directv and no such luck. I have even been able to get my local TV station (ABC) to issue a waiver, but that does not work anymore. I am trying to get the station to send me written permission, which I am told that if I forward
it on to directv, they might actually be able to activate the distant HD ABC feed.
I have to send it to Directv's SHVIA department for analysis.

#5 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:36 PM

collin did you get the waiver from koat ? I live in Carlsbad, and have Dish Hd and Direct sd... would like to get Abc as all we get is koct, a parttime digital translator (have the sd locals on dish) I got the CBShd feeds over a year ago from E* after the engineer in Alb for krqe gave me waivers...

#6 OFFLINE   kenw2000

kenw2000

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 02:30 PM

In the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the local Fox, NBC and CBS affiliates allow waivers. The local ABC affiliate DOES NOT grant waivers, but then I have no trouble getting their HD signal OTA.

Contact DirecTV to get the network feeds out of New York. 800-263-0028 (HD department)

#7 OFFLINE   collin23

collin23

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

The waiver came from the EL Paso station. I do not need one from the ABC in Albuquerque. However, the waiver did not do me any good as the law has now changed.

#8 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

In the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the local Fox, NBC and CBS affiliates allow waivers. The local ABC affiliate DOES NOT grant waivers, but then I have no trouble getting their HD signal OTA.

Contact DirecTV to get the network feeds out of New York. 800-263-0028 (HD department)

No surprise since in Dallas, KDFW, KTVT, and KXAS are all network owned. WFAA 8 ABC is owned by Belo and it not network owned. But if they put out a decent HD signal, then I can see why they'd say no. What gets me is these stations putting out a low power DIGITAL signal that is NOT HD, and then they deny the waivers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...