Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Attn: Anyone that's being denied HD distant networks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:12 PM

One of the main purposes of this new legislation was to help people in rural areas that have no OTA options for digital networks. That's what all the politicians said as they slapped themselves on the back after this bill was passed, but we're actually the ones getting hurt the most !

We're not only denied the digital distant networks, but many are LOSING the analog distants they did have. Even the lucky few that still have them are now locked into their provider, afraid to even call for fear of loosing them.

This is not only ludicrous but totally contrary to what we were told. This reminds me of the Olympic fiasco - most of the ones allowed the HD sat signal were the ones who could already get it OTA or with cable. We who had NO options were NOT allowed to get it.

The only chance we have at all is to petition our Reps and Senators to force the FCC to move immediately on this.

They could declare a digital white area tomorrow that's based on already available, independent data (see DTC website). I believe they could then also mandate that DBS could provide the distant network HD signals to those eligible without fear of copywrite violation.

I don't think Powell will do this without pressure from congress though and now that the elections are over, much of the leverage the NAB had is diminished.

I emailed letters to my Senators and Reps yesterday. Maybe if we all make enough noise, even get this in the news, something will be done.

WaltinVt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:26 PM

We're not only denied the digital distant networks, but many are LOOSING the analog distants they did have. Even the lucky few that still have them are now locked into their provider, afraid to even call for fear of loosing them.

Perhaps they should tighten them, then. I'm sure they'd stick then. ;)

#3 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:26 AM

Perhaps they should tighten them, then. I'm sure they'd stick then. ;)

I know, I know....you're the 3rd person that's pointed it out. Humility is a good thing.:rolleyes:
I just wish people we're as willing to talk about the issues as they are at critquing my spelling. Guess it is my own fault though.
I do have a passion about the fact that so many of us rural area satellite viewers we're led to believe one thing and seemed to have gotten something entirly different.
Walt

#4 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:31 AM

Walt - I'm with you - check my sig.

In case I change it, here's the text:
http://www.iwantmyhdtv.com Tell your legislators, NOW! Time is running out!
We did. We got it passed. Now Charlie is screwing us AGAIN.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:25 PM

I know, I know....you're the 3rd person that's pointed it out. Humility is a good thing.:rolleyes:
I just wish people we're as willing to talk about the issues as they are at critquing my spelling. Guess it is my own fault though.
I do have a passion about the fact that so many of us rural area satellite viewers we're led to believe one thing and seemed to have gotten something entirly different.
Walt

Humility is a weakness.

#6 OFFLINE   Pmjohnson

Pmjohnson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:20 AM

Walt

In the same boat with you. I do get CBS over OTA . but that is all . It kills me that all the BCS football is on ABC. I get the local from Direct, but on my 73" Mits the signal is awful. It really makes you mad when you know that all the networks are being broadcast in digital over Direct and you can't recieve them. Some have mention waviers. I tried a while back and the station would even talk to me.

People in rural areas are really being shafted. Yea, you can communicate with people, even if you mispelled a word every once in a while. ( Is mispelled spelled right?)

#7 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:00 PM

In the same boat with you. I do get CBS over OTA . but that is all . It kills me that all the BCS football is on ABC. I get the local from Direct, but on my 73" Mits the signal is awful. It really makes you mad when you know that all the networks are being broadcast in digital over Direct and you can't recieve them. Some have mention waviers. I tried a while back and the station would even talk to me.

People in rural areas are really being shafted. Yea, you can communicate with people, even if you mispelled a word every once in a while. ( Is mispelled spelled right?)

Misspelled is spelled misspelled, so no, mispelled is not spelled correctly.... ;)
Bobby C

#8 OFFLINE   Pmjohnson

Pmjohnson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:08 PM

Misspelled is spelled misspelled, so no, mispelled is not spelled correctly.... ;)

Can you help me with the problem of not being able to get digital network signals.

#9 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:30 PM

Can you help me with the problem of not being able to get digital network signals.

Higher antenna; pre-amp. :D Don't think Dish is the answer.

#10 OFFLINE   Spruceman

Spruceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

Misspelling "lose" as "loose" is fairly common. I think it reflects the declining quality of the schools teaching the 3-Rs. Hell! In one jurisdiction across the river from Wash DC, the authorities removed the "To Cross Street, Press Button for WALK Signal" buttons, adjacent to the the HIGH SCHOOLS [!!!]; and made the signals go from user activation to timer-only 24/7, thus making traffic stop even in the middle of the night. Authorities cited that some of the students couldn't read well enough to read the "press button" sign. What next? Colleges and universities?

As to digital, come carriage renewal time, the networks should simply refuse to grant exclusivity rights to stations that don't provide a digital signal to the entire DMA, and allow D* & E* to provide a feed of the network from another source.

#11 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:31 PM

Why is Dish Network always the jerks when it comes to cutting off distant networks? I know several people with Directv distants and theirs have NOT been cut off even when locals entered the market and none have since the recent changes.

Why are people losing distant networks?? I thought they had the right to keep them instead of getting the locals if they wanted to, just couldn't have both.

The SHVIA laws have never worked because local stations don't abide by them. They just look at your location and say NO to the waivers regardless of your signal circumstances.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...