Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
Guest Message by DevFuse
Is anyone actually going to buy the 501 for $199?
21 replies to this topic
Posted 28 September 2001 - 12:26 PM
1) The DirecTivo only works with DirecTv, not Echostar.
2) It records the raw bitstream from the satellite (exactly like Dishplayer, 501, and UltimateTV). It does not record anything analog although (like standalone Tivo).
If you wish to record from Cable and satellite, get a standalone Tivo, if you want better video quality and everything you watch is on satellite, then get DirecTivo.
...Ads Help To Support This SIte...
Posted 26 November 2001 - 04:14 PM
Well, I just got a 501 for the bedroom for $199. I allows me to freeze action, record 30 hours, set timed events, etc. It's a bit noisy (as if there is a mouse inside trying to get out) but everyone assures me that is normal..?
I have a TIVO in the other room. Sorry Charlie, there is no comparison. TIVO does have a monthly fee (or a lifetime payment), but it's just a different animal. I can search by actors, type of shows, set season passes, watch a recording while I'm making another, etc etc. The 501 is free of monthly charges, and I"m glad I got it, but for SERIOUS PVR-ing, the TIVO is in a different ballpark...