Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need info onhow to get international programming (95 deg)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ktoolsie

ktoolsie

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:45 AM

I already have Comcast cable and do wish to keep them as my main provider. However, I want to subscribe to some programming on DirecTV's satellite at 95 degs longitude.

I have an old RCA receiver (the first one with an optical output) and a regular single LNB 18? dish. Will this enable me to get the programming off the 95 deg bird. Bear in mind, I do not care about getting anything of 101 or any of the other satellites, so I'm thinking a single LNB dish pointed just at the satellite I want.

Will this work or do I need a new receiver with the 36" dish?

Many Thanks

Kurt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nrholland

nrholland

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:12 PM

You'll probably need a new receiver. You'll definately need a new dish. The 18" dish won't work on the 95 sat.

#3 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

There are only a handful of recievers that have the ability to get programming from the 95 postion (72.5 as well, recievers that get one can get the other). The complete list is available over at this url < http://www.dbsforums...&threadid=39054 >. Furthermore, the 95 degree satellite is a FSS Satellite and therefore, your BSS LNB will not work. Additionally, since it is FSS and the frequencies are at a different level compared to a BSS, you will be required to get at least a 32'' dish (minimum for getting FSS singal in general). I believe DirecTV is selling 90cm dishs (not sure what that compares to size wise).

HOWEVER, I do believe that all of the stations that DirecTV has on its internatioal orbital slot is also available on an 18'' on the 61.5/148 BSS locations housed by Dish Network. At least you will be able to use your smaller dish if that is the programming you are looking for. Your best bet is to call both Dish Network and DirecTV and see which was suits your needs being that you need only specific international stations that are not available on Comcast.

#4 OFFLINE   ktoolsie

ktoolsie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:24 PM

Furthermore, the 95 degree satellite is a FSS Satellite and therefore, your BSS LNB will not work. Additionally, since it is FSS and the frequencies are at a different level compared to a BSS, you will be required to get at least a 32'' dish (minimum for getting FSS singal in general).

Thanks for the explanation, that was the piece of information that I was missing. I did a quick google search and was able to find the following:

DBS service in the United States is currently provided from either high-powered or medium-powered satellites. DirecTV, USSB and DISH (EchoStar) operate from high-power satellites providing services in the BSS (Broadcast Satellite Service) segment of Ku-band spectrum. Transmissions from these satellites may be received on very small diameter dish antenna of around 18" or less. The RCA pizza sized dish (DirecTV) is an example of this DSS (Digital Satellite System) receive equipment.

PrimeStar and AlphaStar operate from medium-powered satellites providing services in the FSS (Fixed Satellite Service) segment of KU-band spectrum. FSS satellites are separated in orbit by only 2 deg. rather than the 9 deg. required of BSS satellite operating systems. The close proximity of FSS satellites to one another requires the use of larger receive antenna of 30" diameter or more.

So now that I know that the DirecTV satellite at 95 deg is of the FSS type rather than the BSS type used for their major programming, I realize that I will definitely need a larger dish to overcome the lower power rating of the 95 deg bird. Furthermore I now understand why it is so much harder to aim your dish at the 95 deg bird (2 deg rather than 9 deg separation between satellites) and why a professional install is recommended.

Kurt

#5 OFFLINE   Nawaz

Nawaz

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:39 AM

HOWEVER, I do believe that all of the stations that DirecTV has on its internatioal orbital slot is also available on an 18'' on the 61.5/148 BSS locations housed by Dish Network. At least you will be able to use your smaller dish if that is the programming you are looking for.

Alebowgm...THAT is an interesting statement. Would appreciate if you can clarify this a bit further. Does this mean that if I subscribe to DirecTv and point a 18" dish to 61.5 or 148, I should be able to get the DirecTv channels?? Or did you mean that similiar Int'l channels are available on Dish Network?? If it is the 2nd one, then that would be incorrect as DirecTv has StarPlus and as far as I know the Int'l channels available via DishNetwork are not available (yet) on DirecTv.

Thankz.

Nawaz.

#6 OFFLINE   2devnull

2devnull

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:14 AM

Any news on getting 101 and 95 using a DTV international dish? Any ideas to make the installation easier given only the 2 deg separation.

spam firewall