Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a PCI card capable of decoding Dish network programming?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fiasco

fiasco

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:00 AM

Is there any available pc cards that can decode and display dish programming just like a standard dish receiver (including paid for programming)?

Dish networks PVR's suck and I would like to try something like Media Portal or MythTV and two Dish Network capable PCI cards as a PVR instead.

If there is a PC card capable of decoding dish network programming, is there an HD version of this card?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MrAkai

MrAkai

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:04 AM

There was (at least announced, don't know if it ever shipped) a PCI card from E* several years ago, but I don't know if it was capable of video, I think they sold it for DVB-S data service, like their BTV is resold sat space for corporate downlinks.

Several makers in europe make DVB-S cards, some of which can (as advertised at least) be fitted with a Nagravision card readers. Now I doubt E* would agree to activate it even if it was compatable, but you might be able to get the barker channels and other FTA stuff)

What we really need is mandated firewire in HD Sat recievers like it is in HD Cable boxes, then we could use our PCs (or a dedicated HTPC) as a DVR.

#3 OFFLINE   Big Bob

Big Bob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:19 AM

just asked the same question on scott's forum
got a bit of info there
Big Bob

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:21 AM

DVB-S cards are available in the USA. DISH Network will not activate the ones with card interface, but any of them can be used to receive the FTA channels with appropriate software.

#5 OFFLINE   mindwarp

mindwarp

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hmmm... it would be nice, and at the right price, even I would pay for that.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

I picked up a DVB-S card a while back. It would take a decent software programmer to make a system anywhere near the current DVR/PVR offerings despite their bugs ... let alone the issue that E* would never authorize the homebrew receiver on their stream.

It does come in handy for monitoring the data streams looking for new channels and changes. :D

JL

#7 OFFLINE   fiasco

fiasco

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

I picked up a DVB-S card a while back. It would take a decent software programmer to make a system anywhere near the current DVR/PVR offerings despite their bugs ... let alone the issue that E* would never authorize the homebrew receiver on their stream.

It does come in handy for monitoring the data streams looking for new channels and changes. :D

JL

The only reason I would consider this kind of setup is because the existing set top Dish PVR's suck. They are complete garbage.

From my examination of both MythTV and Media Portal, both appear to be more sophisticated and easier to use then Dish network PVR's. I have Media Portal on my laptop right now and it is pretty impressive "homebrew".

In addition to being superior software, a PC based DVR would easily and readily be upgradeable to virtually unlimited hard drive capacity.

#8 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:59 AM

Ya, I am very surprised that they have yet to come out with anything for those who wish to use their computer. There are those who have some setups where they only have a TV Tuner, especially in dorms and small apartments.

I think it would be pretty cool...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...