Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Charlie Chat Summary 1/10/05 by Mark Lamutt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
116 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:00 PM

Charlie Chat 1/10/05 Summary
Copyright 2005 Mark Lamutt and DBSTalk.com
All Rights Reserved

Welcome to another Charlie Chat with your hosts, Charlie Ergan and Jim DeFranco!

Lots to talk about tonight, so let’s get started! Locals in our 153rd market! PPV Events! International Programming! Shop at Home! CES Announcements! And questions answered! And of course, the special guest – George Stella from The Food Network’s “Low Carb and Loving It!”

First up, programming and pricing. Raising prices starting in February statement. We apologize for that, but our costs are increasing. Average customer spends $56 per month, and will see $2.40 increase (4.3% average increase). Programming cost has gone up more than 7% in the last year (blame sports programming). Nobody fights cost increases more than we do! Details beginning February 1, 2005:
  • America’s Top 60 with locals: +$2.00 New Price: $31.99
  • America’s Top 120 with locals: +$3.00 New Price: $42.99
  • America’s Top 180 with locals: +$3.00 New Price: $52.99
  • America’s Everything Pak with locals: +$4.00 New Price: $86.99
  • RAI International: +$3.00 New Price: $12.99
  • Premium Movie Packages – no price increase
  • Dish Latino Packages – no price increase
  • All other International Packages – no price increase
  • Pay Per View – no price increase
  • Service Fees – no price increase
Cable announcing 6+% price increases this year. We’re 30% less than cable! We’ll work really hard this year to keep costs down. Everyone has had to raise prices. We spend a lot of money on the content, some of those costs we have to pass on to you.

To show our appreciation, we’ll throw in a $3.99 PPV coupon in your February statement.

Just got back from CES! Roll Video! It’s Dan Landreth! (One of our very good friends that Jason and I work closely with for the support forums.) Picture of 942! Notice how there’s no cable pig as part of their booth this year. Tech Forum Monday February 14, 2005, 9:00pm EST – ask the engineers your questions about all of the new products that we can’t answer.

Now rolling video about the new 30” and 40” LCD HDTVs. It’s Dave Edwards!
  • 30” - $1599
  • 40” - $3999
  • Available in February
  • 34” DirectView monitor with 811 for $999, quantities are limited PQ everybit as good as the LCD monitor. (Has Charlie seen what his 34” tv’s look like? Or what an LCD looks like?) LCD monitors don’t come with HD receivers.

Special for existing customers who don’t sub to the HD Pack today – half price for the 12 months! $9.99, with a $5 credit for 12 months. Not available for users that already subscribe to the HD Pak. (We tried…)

DVR522 will be available in early February. Runs about $100 more than the 510.

What’s new with Programming? Eric Sahl, VP of Programming. As of today, 152 markets with locals with Gainesville, Fla launching on February 3, 2005 - #153.

Upcoming cities with locals launching in 2005:
  • Billings, MT
  • Casper, WY
  • Erie, PA
  • Great Falls, MT
  • Mynark/Bismark, ND
  • Rapid City, SD
  • Twin Falls, ID
International Programming:
  • South Asia World launched December 16th. Channel 811, $4.99/mo, or $54.89 anually.
  • American Desi, Channel 812, $4.99/mo, or $54.89 anually.
  • Or both as a package for $8.99/mo or $98.89 annually.
  • To subscribe, must be America’s Top 60 or above subscriber, or Dish Latino or above subscriber, or subscriber of Great Wall TV package or any South Asian channel or package at $34.99/mo or higher.
PPV Calander:
  • The FA Cup, English Soccer Jan 8th – May 21st on Channels 455 and 470. All inclusive package $99, or 2 payments of $49.50. Individual games $15.95. Final game $24.95.
  • The Konka Kaf under 20 youth tournament, Jan 12th-Jan 31st. Channel 834. All inclusive price $49.95.
  • TNA Wrestling The Final Resolution, January 16th, $29.95, Channels 455 and 470.
  • ESPN Full Court Half Season Package $69, available Jan 16th, with free preview Jan 16th-Jan 19th.
  • NBA League Pass Half Season Package, free preview Jan 24th-Jan 30th. No price given.
Interactive Television:
  • Horse racing and betting…let’s go down to the stables! Only allowed in California, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
  • Cybercafe shopping with Henry! Soon be offering Sharper Image shopping through Dish Home.

Heartwarming story from Bingo TV…<gaaaaackkkkk>

Now for some Questions!

Email from Kehvan Zydhek – question about when 522 will be available for existing customers, has a 510 and wants to know when NBR is coming for the 510?

Answer: Charlie – NBR available now! (hahahahaha…rolling eyes…yeah whatever…Charlie really needs to get a clue about his own products…) Jan over shaking his head in the peanut gallery. Charlie promises it is coming for the 510! Here it is in print!

Lots of questions about HD programming.
Answer: Charlie – new sat launches late summer will give us more capacity. Also, later this year, MPEG4 will allow up to do more HD channels. Vast majority of increases later this year after new sat is launched and when we have MPEG4 technology. May have a few before then – ESPN2, Bravo, some movie channel, but most will be later rather than sooner.

Question: Ryan from TN – What is “significantly viewed” defined as under the new law?
Answer: Charlie – passed last November that allowed us to continue broadcasting your local channels. One of the other positive things was it put Sat and cable on more equal footing. Example – you live in Washington, but are closer to Baltimore stations, this will allow us to give you both Baltimore and Washington locals. Colorado Springs-Denver another example. FCC has to come out with exact rules, should be out in June.

Phone call from Chad: Can’t hear a thing Chad is asking…question about satellite broadband maybe.
Answer: Charlie – we had technology called Starband. Service wasn’t economical. We’ve launched 2 satellites since then, and we’re working on a business model to make this cost effective. Won’t be out until at least this fall.

Phone call from Lindsay: Recently switched to Dish from cable. With my local cable, we had On Demand programming. Will Dish have On Demand like that?
Answer – Charlie: Technology different between us and them. We give you VOD through our DVR receivers. You can record the movies that you want, and you can then watch it whenever you want. And, coming later this year (this spring), the model 625 will automatically download 30 movies on your hard drive to start, and will get better this summer with software updates – more choices. And it’ll let you program your DVR for what you want to watch as well.

More questions later…now it’s special guest time…

<humming Jeopardy theme now…>

(the nice thing about watching this delayed as I type this up is that I can skip right through the special guest segment. I highly recommend it!)

After the guest, 2 minutes left in the show…last question:

Phone: Lonnie – when will the 921 be available for lease?
Answer – Jim: Never. 942 will be available for lease. Watch Tech Forum in February. 921 will be phased out to the 942.

Thanks for joining us tonight!
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   TRSmudge

TRSmudge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:18 PM

Our newest Charlie Chat segment is......

The Infomercial.....

Lets spend 10 minutes letting some guy push his diet book on us instead of answering questions from our customers.....What a joke!

#3 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:21 PM

Wow I actually watched a chat for the first time in about a year. When Jim said "lots of exciting programming" I expected to hear some new basic cable channels being added or ESPN2-HD. Just lame shopping/horse racing betting and international blah blah blah garbage.

#4 OFFLINE   TowJumper

TowJumper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

Mark:

Thanks for putting that together. Be sure and ask when the NBR is hitting the 510 - Charlie said by Feb HAHHAHHHAAAA.

Anyway, thanks for all you do Mark keep up the good fight.
"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you," Sen. Clinton said. "We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

#5 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:34 PM

BTW I think the Chariots Of Fire comedy ripoff segments have been old for quite some time now.

#6 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:36 PM

probably $99. $69 was for ESPN-FC

#7 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:43 PM

So in other words not a thing is being added to the Top 60, 120, or 180 for this high price increase.

He said cable was raising more than that and the local one around here usually does increases in February and there was nothing about an increase in the bill this month.

If the premium movie packages didn't raise, then why isn't the Everything pack only a $3 increase??

Is there a demand for these things they are adding like the Bingo TV and the Horseracing betting??? Why don't they put more effort into HD, new general entertainment channels, etc???

#8 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:47 PM

Great Summary Mark! Thanks for the info (and keeping us from having to watch it)!
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#9 OFFLINE   catnap1972

catnap1972

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:52 PM

So in other words not a thing is being added to the Top 60, 120, or 180 for this high price increase.

I just sent Charlie my thanks...downgraded from AT180 to AT120...$10 more in my pocket a month. THANKS! :lol:

BTW, you still have to ask that the drop fee be waived...they won't do it automatically

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:54 PM

Couldn't hit the delete post key quick enough. Yep ... no price given.

It IS nice when the CEO says:

I believe ... what in the meeting today ... I could have heard it wrong. The head of engineering said that name based recording is available NOW on all the model 500 series. That's what he said, right?

Jim:

Jan works in engineering and he's shaking his head.

CEO:

We have these Monday morning staff meetings here, and I had the same question this morning. Only because that is a great feature.

[DESCRIPTION SNIPPED]

It is a great feature and it is scheduled in all the 510's 522's and I had the understanding this morning that it was already downloaded, but Jan you are saying not downloaded yet. So it will be a software upgrade to the box, and I assume - at the worst case you can ask the head of engineering who will be hosting this show in February. And we should have it out by then.
Great question, but it is coming. And again there is nothing you have to do, it is just a download automatically to your set top box to improve the functionallity in the future.

Guess NBR is front burner again!

JL

#11 OFFLINE   tbeuthin

tbeuthin

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:54 PM

Lets see if I got this right:
1) 921 is being phased out for 942
2) More info on 942 in Feb. chat
3) MPEG4 coming 2nd half this year, allows for many more HD channels
4) No MPEG4 capability on any current HD receiver.
5) The 942 also not MPEG4 capable, but will be available for lease or purchase.

If the above is true I guess they have a 942 lease option because who would buy one when it appears to have a 3-10 month lifespan.

Nice to know my 508 will have NBR, but what about the 921?
Maybe I should send back my recently purchased bug ridden 921 back and reactivate my other 508 get NBR and wait for the 9xx MPEG4 receiver.

I lived through the 50x problems which they finally fixed and now we get NBR too. Great! But what about the top of the line 921?

It's hard to believe that the current top of the line HD DVR has been outlived by the lowly 501 and 508. And the 50x gets NBR but not the 921. Brillant!!!

IMHO Dish needs to make it clear to 921 owners if they will be committed to fixing the bugs and whether ot not it will EVER get NBR.

Tom B.
AEP+locals
HD pac (they required it)

#12 OFFLINE   oblio98

oblio98

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:06 PM

Did they play the "High Definition" song? :(

No news is.........................THE SAME OLD CRAP!

#13 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

Hey, I love that song!

"I'm living life, in high definition" so catchy

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:30 PM

It wasn't too bad of a show. The NBR and HD future announcements as well as a public to customer acknowledgement of MPEG4 made it fun.

And Charlie was just as embarassed as we were to see the Chariots of Fire joke.

E* customers see a lot of potential in the company. We would like to see a lot more results, but at least they didn't kill the potential in this month's chat. Good things are coming.

I did expect a channel addition -- evidently they were not at a point to announce them or didn't want to tie an increase to a new channel. (As many that get upset about increases without additions would get upset about additions they don't want.)

JL

#15 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:38 PM

I think when it comes time for cable co's and D* to raise its rates it wont be so bad. I guess it just stinks for us because were the first to receive the increase.

#16 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:02 PM

I just sent Charlie my thanks...downgraded from AT180 to AT120...$10 more in my pocket a month. THANKS! :lol:

BTW, you still have to ask that the drop fee be waived...they won't do it automatically

Actually $7 more in your pocket since he is raising it $3.

#17 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:02 PM

I downgraded from Top 180 to Top 60 (he didn't charge me a fee). Ironically there are Top 180 only channels I like, but none really in 120 that I care about having. I wasn't paying $21 extra now a month for Hallmark, GAC, and VH1 Classic. I would get 120 if Hallmark and GAC went to that package.

My bill with Top 60/locals, extra receiver and Superstations is now $42.97 a month and no ridiculous VOD fee with 2 721 receivers.

#18 OFFLINE   catnap1972

catnap1972

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:37 PM

Actually $7 more in your pocket since he is raising it $3.

No, it's still $10.00/month savings:

AT180: $47.99+8.99(local+supers)+4.99(2nd receiver) = $61.97+3.72 tax = $65.69 total

AT120: $37.99+8.99(local+supers)+4.99(2nd receiver) = $51.97 +3.12 tax = $55.09 total

With the taxes thrown in it's actually $10.60 more in my pocket a month.

#19 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:53 PM

DVR522 will be available in early February. Runs about $100 more than the 510.

Is Dish going to sell this box to existing customers or lease???
Sounds to me like they are going to sell it?
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#20 OFFLINE   joebird

joebird

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:50 AM

Top 180 with locals up $3 / No increase in the movie packages.

So AEP is 180 with movie packages, right? Why was it increased $4 instead of $3?
Vip622 x 2, 510, 110/119/129, DP44

Protected By... spam firewall...And...