Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about local feeds and distant networks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   calguy99

calguy99

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

About a month ago I received a post card in the mail telling me that Direct TV is offering local channels in my market. I have a Direct TV Tivo receiver with dual satellite receivers in one room and an 8 year old Sony receiver in a second room. I also am subscribed to the Total Choice programming package required to receive local channels. My satellite dish is 8 years old. I noticed that on my tivo receiver the local channels (3, 5, 6, 12, 24, and 38) started showing up in the programming grid with program descriptions but no feed (picture, video)

The question I had was if I purchase a new satellite dish that receives the new satellites with the local feeds will I automatically get the local feeds or will I have to call Direct TV to activate the locals?

Also if I add will I lose the distant network feeds (New York and Los Angeles) which I have been receiving for the last 8 years?

Thanks

:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:44 PM

Hi,

About a month ago I received a post card in the mail telling me that Direct TV is offering local channels in my market. I have a Direct TV Tivo receiver with dual satellite receivers in one room and an 8 year old Sony receiver in a second room. I also am subscribed to the Total Choice programming package required to receive local channels. My satellite dish is 8 years old. I noticed that on my tivo receiver the local channels (3, 5, 6, 12, 24, and 38) started showing up in the programming grid with program descriptions but no feed (picture, video)

The question I had was if I purchase a new satellite dish that receives the new satellites with the local feeds will I automatically get the local feeds or will I have to call Direct TV to activate the locals?

Also if I add will I lose the distant network feeds (New York and Los Angeles) which I have been receiving for the last 8 years?

Thanks

:)

According to the new laws, if you choose your locals you can't have distants both, but if you can choose to keep your distants instead of locals if you've already been receiving them. I'm thinking that you might get locals with distants for while but the distants might be cut off in the future.

My dad has had distants for 9 years now and Directv does not offer locals in his area nor does he care if they ever do since he gets New York and LA plus the HD feeds of them now as well.

If you want to keep your New York and LA stations, I wouldn't bother with getting the locals just so won't risk having them cut off.

spam firewall