Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom receiver 'manage' digital cable channels?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:23 PM

All,
I am about to dump Dish for Voom (and this forum has been GREAT for educating me about the potential benefits and pitfalls of such an action - for that my thanks) and my installer does not think the Voom receiver can be the tuner for incoming cable channels, or for that matter, incoming OTA analog channels. Nor can he obtain any real technical doc about the Motorola receiver Voom will lease me.

Can anyone here help me? Again, many thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:29 PM

All,
I am about to dump Dish for Voom (and this forum has been GREAT for educating me about the potential benefits and pitfalls of such an action - for that my thanks) and my installer does not think the Voom receiver can be the tuner for incoming cable channels, or for that matter, incoming OTA analog channels. Nor can he obtain any real technical doc about the Motorola receiver Voom will lease me.

Can anyone here help me? Again, many thanks.

Your HD TV should have more that one video input. Put cable and analog on the RF inputs. Leave the component and/or DVI inputs for satellite.

#3 OFFLINE   motorcycle_rider

motorcycle_rider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

I recently had VOom . Just so you know the Voom STB will not tune Analog OTA channel nor a cable singal. It will do OTA DIgital. It seemed to pull in those signals pretty well.

#4 OFFLINE   DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

Mikey - yes, I guess this is basically the same process I use w/ the Dish 'whatever' box to switch between SD and Dish' HD content. Thank you...

m-rider... was your Voom receiver slow to switch between channels? I ask as someone in a product review dated April '04 mentioned this as an 'issue', but Voom was working on it....

thx...

#5 OFFLINE   motorcycle_rider

motorcycle_rider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

I have to say it was slightly faster than the 811 is the last time i used it. But if you change channels rapidly with voom you are guarenteed a lock-up. Supposidy there is a software update coming down for Voom so I do not know if that has been fixed. Did you have Voom installed yet? If so check your settings and be sure that you set the output to 1080 or 720 if your tv supports it.

#6 OFFLINE   DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:47 PM

m-rider... its a Samsung DLP w/ 720 native so that's what I'll run it at - thx for the head's up.

Can I ask why you dumped Voom? Also, another question has reared its ugly head since I first posted this one... does the Voom reeciver's DVI connection have HDCP configured with it? If so I'll be cancelling my order as my Samsung is "naked" DVI.

Thanks...

#7 OFFLINE   motorcycle_rider

motorcycle_rider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:46 PM

I deciced to dump Voom because in my opinion they did not provide enough programing for the $$$ everyone will have a different opinion on it. Lock ups where also another reason. My wife watch's more TV then I do and she complained about a few missing channels and the lock ups in the middle of a program. As for HDCP I believe it is enabled on Voom but shortley it will be enabled on all providers. Not sure when. Here is a link that will probably help answer alot of your questions.

http://www.satellite...ead.php?t=20677

there are links to other faq's in there u should look at those also. Sean Mota at sattelliteguys can more accurately answer more of your questions but i am willing to answer any questions that i can.

#8 OFFLINE   DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:33 PM

I need to post a correction in case anyone should take my Samsung sans HDCP statement as Gospel... my HLM507W does indeed have DVI with HDCP, so my Voom decision can be based upon 'softer' usability issues, not any inability to use the DVI input.

This link helped me...

http://www.dlptvshow...omparisons.html

spam firewall