Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nfl Conference Championship Games:make Your Picks Now

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will make it to the Superbowl? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will make it to the Superbowl?

1. Falcons (7 votes [18.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

2. Eagles (10 votes [27.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

3. Patriots (8 votes [21.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

4. Steelers (12 votes [32.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:11 AM

Well it seems like all the games went pretty much as predicted by the polls with the exception of the Pats Colts game. I wouldn't call that an upset though. The Jets came close. Kudos to all those who picked the Pats over the Colts. Lets give it another shot. Good luck.
EAGLES

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:22 AM

Hey, where's the Colts option. Oh yeah, they choked.

In case anyone wonders, current opening odds for the NE Pit game are NE -3, 37o/u. Atlanta/Philly has Philly -4.5 and 41.5o/u.

I'm going to go with the underdogs in both cases. Pit just because I don't want another Super Bowl with New England (because we'll never hear the end of it) and Alanta because...I don't know. Just because.

#3 OFFLINE   SAEMike

SAEMike

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:53 AM

Steelers v. Eagles

Steelers blow them out.

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:08 AM

cdru: If you'd been through half of what Patriots fans have been through over the past 40 years, you'd understand.

Any why is it that the Colts choked? Interesting statistic I heard this morning.

Dating back to 2001, the Patriots are 13-0 when facing a returning opponent with the same starting quarterback. What it was pointing out was that any team that has had any success against the Patriots in the past few years has faced a different team the next time - as in the Patriots adapt. This does not bode well for Rothlisberger. Especially when you consider that Corey Dillon will play Sunday.

Rothlisberger didn't look to good against the Jets and the Patriots have had the Jet's number recently.

I confess, while I was pulling for the Pats, I did NOT expect to see Indy only score 3 points. But the Indy players said it - New England stepped up. the announcers said it, the sports show talking heads said it. The Colts didn't choke. This is a team that was down a paltry 6-3 at the half. But when the coach of the defending Super Bowl champions says "the second half was the best 30 minutes of football we've played", nothing short of divine intervention will change the outcome. *IF* the Pats executed perfectly - which they did - it's not a choke on Indy's part.

#5 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:17 AM

In case anyone wonders, current opening odds for the NE Pit game are NE -3, 37o/u. Atlanta/Philly has Philly -4.5 and 41.5o/u.

Pittsburg is a home dog? That really surprises me. That will get the Steelers juices flowing. No need for Vanderjet(however you spell his name)type bulletin board stuff for the Steelers.
EAGLES

#6 OFFLINE   sikma

sikma

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:13 AM

"Eagles" guy has to be happy today.....I know I am (I hate the Vikes). I can see a Falcons/Patriots superbowl, but judging by my previous picks I won't be calling Vegas!

#7 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

I can see a Falcons/Patriots superbowl, but judging by my previous picks I won't be calling Vegas!

I hope your trend holds up for a couple of more games :lol:
EAGLES

#8 OFFLINE   TerryC

TerryC

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:45 AM

Eagles
Steelers

I hope I'm wrong because it'll be a low scoring (ie, boring) Super Bowl. But I'm 7-1 in my playoff pics so who knows...

#9 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:15 PM

Eagles-Steelers. Eagles win big in upset. McNab has a big day. Just cuz it would be so much fun to listen to Limbaugh after that game.:)

#10 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:05 PM

Any why is it that the Colts choked? Interesting statistic I heard this morning.

Dating back to 2001, the Patriots are 13-0 when facing a returning opponent with the same starting quarterback. What it was pointing out was that any team that has had any success against the Patriots in the past few years has faced a different team the next time - as in the Patriots adapt. This does not bode well for Rothlisberger. Especially when you consider that Corey Dillon will play Sunday.

Statistics mean nothing anymore. The stat databases are so efficient and detailed that given any two teams, you could easily come up with some impressive statistic that wouldn't hold true for the next game. Records and streaks are meant to be broken. Yeah their win streak was impressive. But it ended. And they lost a few games later to Miami. Did Miami even have an offense this year?

Patriots are a very impressive football club. No doubt about it. But they aren't perfect. They make mistakes. In the end, it doesn't matter what happened last time or any records. It only matters what happens in that 1 hour of game play that counts. I think that the Steelers will hold their offense and exploit any mistakes that they do make.

#11 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:07 PM

Pittsburg is a home dog? That really surprises me. That will get the Steelers juices flowing. No need for Vanderjet(however you spell his name)type bulletin board stuff for the Steelers.

According to my site, yup. Check up to the minute (or at least up-to-the-last-refresh) odds here

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:36 PM

New England vs Pittsburgh: Interestingly, all the folks that had the Patriots as an underdog against the Colts (I didn't understand that one bit) now have them as a favorite over the Steelers. Lets see, Pittsburgh is on a 15 game winning streak (last team to do that was New England who won it all last year) and Pittsburgh won their earlier game this year convincingly. Don't forget too that Miami beat New England for its other loss of the season, so I don't have them on the same pedestal I used to! Also interesting... Tom Brady is now a seasoned veteran... but he replaced an injured Drew Bledsoe one year as a rookie in the league and won the Super Bowl with everyone along the way predicting him to fail... I see Pittsburgh having that same kind of season with Ben.

Ok, enough rant... I think it is close because New England always learns from past mistakes... but I see Pittsburgh winning at home.

Atlanta vs Philadelphia: Unfortunately, Philly still has some weakness against the run... so Atlanta could run it up on them... I'm still not convinced that anyone besides McNabb and Westbrook will be consistent... so I have a feeling that either this is an Atlanta blowout or Philly wins a close game. I root for Philly in any event, but am not sure.

So... I'll pick Philadelphia since that's who I want to win.

#13 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 03:13 PM

I'm going with Atlanta v New England in the Super Bowl. Atlanta really seems to have their act together and Philly has a way of losing the big game. New England just wins. They seem to have those intangibles that help you win ball games. No big draft stars...just a bunch of guys who play like a team. I won't really pull for one over the other in the AFC. Both teams deserve to go to the Super Bowl.

#14 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:22 AM

At 16-1, the steelers deserve to go to the Super Bowl.

#15 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:40 PM

I'll Take The Steelers and The Falcons. Blitzburgh will have a much better game than they did against the Jets. Vick is gonna run all over the Eagles "D" They'll have to "stay at home" or Vick will burn them.

#16 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

I'll Take The Steelers and The Falcons. Blitzburgh will have a much better game than they did against the Jets. Vick is gonna run all over the Eagles "D" They'll have to "stay at home" or Vick will burn them.

As an Eagles fan I was really worried about this game until you picked the Falcons :lol:

BTW, who said the following?

When Minnesota beats Philadelphia this coming up weekend. Just Remember you heard it here first from me. I'm no Vikings fan. But Minnesota will beat the Eagles. Minnesota went into Green Bay in my opinion a tougher place to play than Philadelphia and has beaten the Packers. Philadelphia doesn't win this game because Minnesota comes out very strong just like they did against Green Bay and Andy Reid and those Eagles won't be able to recover. Did Green Bay? No. McNabb is gonna have to keep it on the ground to have a chance. They will fall again and have an early exit before making the Super Bowl. And Yes by the way. Mike Tice's Job is definately secured in Minnesota atleast for another year after this one is over. The Vikings could go all the way. The only threat i see is Atlanta. Green Bay was the toughest challenge of them all knowing there playoff history at Lambeau field and Minnesota has prevailed. Big Lift for that team beating Green Bay at there house. Nothing but clear sailing for the Vikings now.

Oh it was Msguy!!!!!

:D
EAGLES

#17 OFFLINE   TerryC

TerryC

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:23 PM

Darn you, Msguy! :bang

#18 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

Eagles for the NFC, and for the AFC I really don't know, but I'll take the Steelers.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#19 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:47 PM

Well The Eagles are going to have more trouble containing that Atlanta Offense. The only way they can win is by keeping Atlanta's offense off the field. I actually see Atlanta RUNNING up the score at the "Linc" in Phillys house. As i said you can flame me and i will leave my posts up. I picked Minnesota and they lost. They had alot of dropped balls. This Weekend is another game :lol:

#20 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

Eagles and Patriots Super Bowl. Patriots are going to take it.

The Atlanta/Philadelphia game was boring, only two plays interested me. The one at the beginning of the 4th quarter when the fan got on the field and was tackled by security, that was cool, too bad the cut away so quickly. And when the Falcons coach threw his headset on the ground and stomped on it. That was total lack of class, the guy is supposed to be not only a professional, but a leader and the image of the team. If a player takes his helmet off on the field in an act of frustration, it's 15 yard personal foul, the same should apply for coaches.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...