Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Plant that supplies pucks to NHL lays off workers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:35 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1968433

Ordinary people lose their jobs while the players refuse a salary cap which would still let them be millionaires many times over. Plus think about the people who work in the arenas that are not working as much as in the past. Not to mention businesses outside the arenas that lose revenue because of fewer events.

The players and the owners need to get their act together and solve this mess. The NHL as currently structured will go bankrupt so something needs to be done. Even Wayne Gretzky (who's been on both sides) says that his team is losing LESS money during the lockout than they would if they were playing. I believe the players should be happy that they get paid millions to play a game and they should accept the cap and get back on the ice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:47 PM

Canada makes something,,,,,,,,, Hockey Pucks.

#3 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:54 AM

I heard something on the news the other day that said not only is this season gone, but possibly next season as well.

Figure that they aren't close to an agreement now and this season is toast... then figure every player lost an entire off-season and regular season of play/practice... then the pressure to negotiate goes away until sometime in the summer... could be the end of the NHL.

One thing that crossed my mind... How about if you were a coach that got fired last season? Man, think that you got fired before the lockout... was that a good thing or a bad thing?

#4 OFFLINE   SAEMike

SAEMike

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:45 AM

Forget the coach that got fired, how about being a coach that got HIRED, and you're not even a part of the fiasco that's causing the lockout.

Next season the WHA, which as been around in the past, is supposed to attempt to start a season with about 6 teams. If the lockout really is deadlocked into next season, this could be an interesting development to keep an eye on.

#5 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:32 AM

Strangely left out of the story is the donation from the millionaire players to their unionized brothers at the puck factory to tide them over. The donations to arena workers also seems to be missing.

Its a whole lot like when arena workers, or umpires, or broadcast camara operators strike. And the so-called sports unions cross that picket line and work anyway.

Because the so-called sports unions hide behind the labor laws when they are to their advantage, but refuse to bargain about labor costs (the basic reason for a union) or honor the parts of unionism that don't help them.

Go owners!!! Break this union. As long as it takes.

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:46 PM

Hockey has been a dieing sport for sometime now. Love Hockey or hate it most people here in the U.S. Like Football and Baseball a hell of alot better.

#7 OFFLINE   sikma

sikma

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:12 PM

Without a strong national fan base, or having a national tv contract, the players will not win. Having said that, it was a few owners that paid certain players anything they wanted that started this mess in the first place.

#8 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:16 PM

Why do I have a feeling hockey may never be back.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

I doubt the NHL will be back anytime soon and if it comes back the fan base will be next to nil as players continue to go overseas. I could careless about the players and owners, but the economic effects of no hockey are being felt hard around here. Bars, grilles, sporting apparel and memorabilia shops all losing tons of cash, not to mention the arena staff.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

Locally, the AHL Manchester Monarchs are doing just fine thankyouverymuch! :)

#11 OFFLINE   SAEMike

SAEMike

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:01 AM

Our ECHL team, the Alaska Aces are doing quite well also, and as always, the UAA Seawolves are enjoyable to watch as well, in fact I'll be watching a UAA game tomorrow night.

#12 OFFLINE   Brian Rector

Brian Rector

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:34 PM

One good thing of many about having the Sports Pack (either DirecTV or Dish) is having the option to watch alternative hockey games such as collegiate or AHL.

When the NHL lockout is overwith and the season is back....I will reexamine my usual spending on the NHL Centre Ice package. I am seriously considering not getting it anymore.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...