Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will HDTV receiver work on regular TV ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   obrienaj

obrienaj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:26 AM

I toying with the idea of getting am inexpensive HDTV receiver/tuner to receive OTA digital TV signals. I do not intend to use an HDTV capable TV/monitor, I intend to use a regular analog TV. Do all the HDTV receivers have the ability to convert the digital signal to a regular TV signal ?

I'm interested in getting the DTV signals for potentially better reception of fringe stations and the extra "sub-band" programming that my local OTA networks provide. I'm not interested, at this point, in the extra definition pictures.
Andy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

Most will hook up to standard TV's using either S-video or RCA jacks. If the receiver you are interested in has these (which most do), you'll be all set.
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

#3 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:11 PM

I toying with the idea of getting am inexpensive HDTV receiver/tuner to receive OTA digital TV signals. I do not intend to use an HDTV capable TV/monitor, I intend to use a regular analog TV. Do all the HDTV receivers have the ability to convert the digital signal to a regular TV signal ?

I'm interested in getting the DTV signals for potentially better reception of fringe stations and the extra "sub-band" programming that my local OTA networks provide. I'm not interested, at this point, in the extra definition pictures.

I'm selling one on the BUY/SELL/TRADE page for $200, if you like. :)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#4 OFFLINE   Ladd

Ladd

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:29 PM

I toying with the idea of getting am inexpensive HDTV receiver/tuner to receive OTA digital TV signals. I do not intend to use an HDTV capable TV/monitor, I intend to use a regular analog TV. .....

I'm not interested, at this point, in the extra definition pictures.

I too am considering the purchase of an HDTV tuner (such as the LG LST4200A) for use with my SD Sony XBR2 (actual HDTV to come later). I know that I'll be able to receive over a dozen stations broadcasting in HD and was wondering if the receiver's down-sampled signal from those stations would look better on my set than the normal analog OTA signals.

#5 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:41 AM

From my limited experience, the digital signal will be an increase from your analog. At least it is for me. I have the Motorola HDT-101, and am fairly satisfied with it. I have not found a way to have the stb turn itself on if I wanted to record a program at a specific time. But then again, it is my first venture into the ota digital world. I do enjoy the dolby sound track that comes with the digital signal.

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...