Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which reciever?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

I am looking at getting a surround sound system in the next couple of weeks and I am trying to decide between recievers. They two I have narrowed down my search to is the Yamaha HTR-5750 and the Yamaha RX-V550. I have found both of these for $260 online so the price is the same. All the features look about the same so I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with either one or knows the difference. I am trying to find a local store that sells both so I can go and actually see and hear the difference between the two. I have pretty much decided on the JBL SCS 136SI speaker package.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Art

Art

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:26 PM

I was dying to solve the same puzzle when I bought my receiver 5.5 years ago. My impression was that Yamaha runs two similar lines, one - HTR, and the other being - RX. I might be wrong but perhaps different lines for different merchants. TheGoodGuys carried the RX ones while I got my HTR at BestBuys. But it's same product and you'll be safe with either option.

#3 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:30 PM

I was just looking at Yamaha's website and noticed that they have an explanation for the difference between the two lines. There is none.:) The HTR line is sold through the mass marketers like Best Buy and are rated in power at a 1KHz tone. They also have attractive gold lettering on the face. The RX-Vs are rated in power at 20-20,000 Hz so they have a lower power rating, but it's for the full bandwidth. They also have traditional white lettering and are sold through stores that specialize in audio. I would guess they want to pump up the power rating when their receivers are sitting next to the Kenwoods and Sonys at Best Buy so they don't look underpowered in comparison.

Just out of curiosity, what did you get David?

#4 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

I saw that and was just wondering if anyone had any actual experience between the two. I haven't gotten one yet as I am waiting for a bonus from wrok to come in. It should be here at the end of this month. But I am pretty set on the RX-V550. I went to my local Ultimate Electronics and heard it paired with some Infinity speakers. After hearing those paired together I went to Best Buy and listened to the JBLs again and I think I am going to go with the Infinity TSS-450 package with an extra satelite to make it 6.1. I am still trying to find someone who can run cable in an already built two house on the first floor.

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

David -- wise choice, going with the Infinity speakers. Regarding cable run: you can do it yourself with cable ducts (raceways) from Wiremold, which are available at Home Depot and Lowes. They're not too conspicuous when painted to match walls. As to the wire to use, get #16 or #14 parallel wire, preferably oxygen free (OFC). You can get it at Wal-Mart. :D
There are "purists" out there who will insist you should buy Monster Cable, and that they can hear the difference. They "hear" the difference because they have to justify the price they've paid. (And I'll probably get some hate mail for that remark).
If you are planning on going 6.1, I'd suggest you use the center channel speaker from the TSS-450 as the rear center speaker, and get an Infinity Primus C25 for your front center speaker. That will improve the sound quality greatly, since the bulk of the sound comes from the front center speaker.
I replaced the front center speaker of my Onkyo system with the C25 and the sound is great.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

My how things have changed in the past 3 months. Well one thing after another hit and I just ordered my reciever last weeked. I ended up going with the new Yamaha RX-V657. And as far as speakers go I am going to wait to go with anything as my wife and I have decided to build a new house. So I am going to hold off on putting anything permanent in till we get the new place. I would like to actually go with a decent set of in ceiling speakers but am trying to find good ones for around $150 a pair. I know that will not get me Klipsch or anything, but that is not what my budget will afford me. I am trying to decide between some OEM Systems ArchiTech Kevlar and Infinty ERS 110s with an Infinty C-25 center and an Infinity PS10 sub.

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

Funny things like that happen all the time. I've seen the specs for the new Yammys and they look to be an excellent value. Given what I know now about Home Theater systems, I would have gone with either an all Infinity or all Paradigm solution for speakers. My daughter and son-in-law went with Bose speakers. My Onkyo HT-S760 Home Theater in a box is quite nice, but the change of center channel speakers made a big difference.
As to ceiling speakers, I personally am opposed to them, since they don't give the right feeling of the direction of the source of the sound. You might not think that's important where surround speakers are concerned, but IMHO it definitely has an impact on the 3D sound experience. If you're looking for unobtrusive speakers, you might be better served by in the wall speakers. You'll find a lot of lively discussion of home theater audio over in www.avsforum.com Now that you're going to build a new house, you have time to check out all the alternatives.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#8 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

.........There are "purists" out there who will insist you should buy Monster Cable, and that they can hear the difference. They "hear" the difference because they have to justify the price they've paid. (And I'll probably get some hate mail for that remark)...........

balder-dash, haba-dash

Monster stuff costs WAY too much. I've heard system with a $1000 bucks worth of monster cable and they don't sound any better than mine. Best Buy and Circuit City really push that stuff because they have a huge markup. Normal household noises like ceiling fans and air conditioners would drown out any differences, if there were any to begin with. Wal-Mart actually does carry decent cables, speaker wire and computer cables. Monster cable is for the upper echelon market and most people just don't fit that category.

We just added a 500 sq. ft. room onto our house that serves as combination TV room/den. We wanted to go with a modern clean look so my wife made me get rid of my great big wooden Norman Lab speakers. I went with a set of small Polk Monitor 30's on small stands and with the sub they sound fantastic. I'm now looking to upgrade in ceiling mounted surrounds and center channel speakers. In both both cases I need something fairly small and ubobtrusive. Anybody have any suggestions?

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:16 AM

Ntexasdude: re: Monster -- my point exactly. I wouldn't buy Monster cable on a bet. Huge waste of money that can be better spent on receivers and speakers.
I'm still not a fan of ceiling mounted speakers. Audio experts, such as speaker manufacturers, THX and Dolby, all recommend front center and surrounds mounted approximately at listener's head height and rear surrounds about 3 feet above and slightly to the rear, preferably on a side wall. That being said, I'd suggest taking a look at Paradigm, Infinity or Athena. All three manufacturers have a line of small, but excellent sounding speakrs that would go very nicely with your Polks.

Charlie
--------------------

Protected By... spam firewall...And...