Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New hockey league could actually work.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:34 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1974554

I saw this link about how the WHA is hoping to attract some NHL-ers to their new league. What I thought was interesting is that the WHA has a salary cap, something the player's union is dead-set against, but some high profile NHL players have expressed interest in playing anyway. That makes me wonder how many players actually are OK with a salary cap in the NHL.

I get the feeling that the player's union is going to be so successful in defending their position that they're going shut down an entire league shoving a lot of middle-class workers out of a job. Typically I believe that salaries are none of my business, but this isn't a typical situation. When workers (players) demand such high salaries that the organization can't survive something needs to change. The players need to quit whining and be happy with multi-million dollar salaries for playing a game.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:37 AM

Each high salary in the NHL is the result of an owner who was happy (or at least willing) to pay a player a particular sum. Some owners have more to spend (through market size or competent management) than others, and some of those contracts were just plain dumb.

Is it more fair to restrict every franchise to paying what the least affluent among them can afford (and letting the successful franchises pocket the difference), or is it more fair to construct a revenue-sharing mechanism that recognizes that it takes two healthy teams to play each game, and a whole league of healthy teams to make championships valuable?
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:51 PM

All it takes for salaries to get out of control is one owner paying one over-priced contract. After that, every agent in the league starts comparing his player to that contract and demands equal or higher value. Then in order to compete every owner has to jump into the pile and start paying more for players. I completely agree that owners need to show restraint, but they ALL have to agree not to pay excessive amounts for players. Then the players union would sue because of the agreement to keep salaries low.

I agree that revenue sharing would be a good thing for the league but I don't believe it solves the problem. Major League Baseball has a form of revenue sharing but no salary cap and the result is still disparity in the league. The major market teams can take their pick of the best players because only they can afford them. And since there's no salary cap, the small markets have VERY little chance to be as competitive as their large market counterparts. The big markets can exceed their luxury tax cap and the fine is such a small percentage of their income that it's not a penalty to them.

There is such a thing as pricing yourself out of a job and the NHL players seemed to have gotten to that point.

#4 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:40 PM

Every high salary in the NHL and other sports is a result of the player's unions being permited to use the parts of labor laws they like, but refusing to negioate colectively about wages, which is the essence of a union in the first place. The result of the illiterate early-90s baseball collusion ruling.

The NFL's first strike featured "all-star games" by the players. Held in cities where the NFL generally had continious sell-outs, including DC, these failed totally. Of course, replacement football in the second strike was well received by the fans and helped break the strike. Replacement baseball was also on the road to success, until the NLRB interfered.

Hopefully, the NHL players will go to this WHA and it will flop. Then new heroic players can join the NHL and these fools who struck themselves out of a job can find work flipping burgers.

#5 OFFLINE   sikma

sikma

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:20 PM

The longer the lockout, the more 'casual' fans they will lose. Eventually no pro hockey league will survive :mad:

#6 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:58 PM

It'll be interesting if it can survive past the first season.

I think the key will be if the WHA gets a TV deal in place.You have to wonder if the CBC would bite, after all, losing their sure-fire Saturday night show will hurt them.I think if there's no other hockey out there, people will watch.not in NHL numbers, but enough to justify it maybe.Only time will tell.

One intriguing possibility is if it survives and becomes a long term endeavor, it could become the "B" league to the NHL's "A" league, much like soccer in europe, or racing, or any number of other sports that have tiered professional sports.It may also become an "out' for ailing NHL franchises, who can't cut it in the high payroll world of the NHL, but may be able to survive in a WHL.Perhaps evolving into a relegation scenario, where teams that excel can move up to the "A" league and teams that fail can move down.Of course, a lot of that failure or success will be fan based: if a WHL team gets 12,000 fans a game, would it get 15,000 as an NHL team with higher prices?

They should be able to draw players from the crop who don't make the cut in the NHL and go to play in Europe.Or guys who are in the AHL and don't see a real chance of getting called up.
That seems to be the problem with the AHL: no matter how good your team is, your best players can get whisked away as call-ups, especially during the playoffs.
Players who have families in Canada or the USA and don't want to live in Switzerland or Germany might be good candidates.And perhaps a few big names will play there for a year during a lockout to get the ball rolling.It'll also serve as a big bargaining chip for the NHLPA if some real stars end up making the WHA noticable.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#7 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:41 AM

Didn't Cicncinnati have an old WHA Hockey team? The Cincinnati Stingers! It came down to the Stingers or the Whalers being absorbed by the NHL and they chose Hartford over Cincinnati. :)

I know its a different league, but whenever I hear WHA I think Stingers!

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#8 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:22 AM

Back in the 70's the league saw the emergence of SOME successful franchises, (Winnipeg, Quebec, Edmonton, New England, Cincinnati, and Houston). That's it. No other team that played in the WHA lasted more than 4-5 years. The league itself only lasted 7 season and finished with 6 teams, with the Indianapolis Racers folding midway through the league's final year.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#9 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:02 PM

I'm starting to get a feeling that the NHL is done after the meetings today. Polls show that people don't miss the game anyway. This could open up the door for an new league that can start from scratch and won't have to worry about competition from a more established league. I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of NHL players join the new league which will have guidelines much like the current NHL owners prefer. In the end, the players will lose this one.

#10 OFFLINE   cboylan3

cboylan3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:32 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1974554

What I thought was interesting is that the WHA has a salary cap, something the player's union is dead-set against, but some high profile NHL players have expressed interest in playing anyway. That makes me wonder how many players actually are OK with a salary cap in the NHL.

look at the NHLers playing in Europe...they are playing for a LOT less and those leagues have a form of salary cap....so i dont know what they are bitching about. Their stance holds no water.

#11 OFFLINE   MadVlad

MadVlad

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

They added New England (Hartford) because Howard Baldwin brokered the merge and he owned the Whalers....

spam firewall