Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Optical Audio Question.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Carroll A

Carroll A

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hello guys..... Just a real quick question... I have a Bose 321 system. I have had it now for about three years, but never really used it to its full potential util a few weeks ago. I upgraded all the cable and now I am running opt cabling instead of composite audio...Now that I am using optical audio out from my 510 to my bose it takes the audio about 5 to 10 seconds to kick in on the bose unit. I have the 510 set for both PCM and and DD. I am more curious as to why there is a lag in the audio catching up to the video... Is it an issue with the audio being bufferd in the hard drive or is it an compatibality issue with my bose unit and 510..... Any help would be great... CC

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:01 PM

'composite audio"

There is no such thing as composite audio... perhaps you're thinking analog audio?

Anyways, I don't really understand your problem?

Is there an audio/video sync delay; or is it just a delay for the receiver to detect the audio (the latter pretty typical, but not ten seconds!)?

#3 OFFLINE   Carroll A

Carroll A

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:27 AM

LOL Sorry it has been a long day and the brain is in shut down mode... :) It was the latter part of your answer that I was wanting to know about... I was thinking analog audio. I had never used the optical audio settings before so I did not realize there was a delay. The delay in the audio sometimes is as long as ten seconds. once it kicks in things are fine I was just more concerned that there was a deeper problem. Thanks for the answer... CC

'composite audio"

There is no such thing as composite audio... perhaps you're thinking analog audio?

Anyways, I don't really understand your problem?

Is there an audio/video sync delay; or is it just a delay for the receiver to detect the audio (the latter pretty typical, but not ten seconds!)?

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

The problem likely lies in the 321 being slow to determine what type of digital stream (PCM, DD, dts) it is receiving. My old outboard processor took longer to decode PCM than DD but even then it was less than 5 seconds. The newer digital surround receiver I got to replace my hobbled together on-its-last-legs setup has no delay from any format. Sound decoding is immediate from a 501 (40GB version of the 510) and 921 (after the L211 software fix).
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:08 PM

My Panasonic does take a few seconds to detect the stream it's getting. My guess is that you're seeing a combination of delays (the sat receiver and the stereo receiver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...