Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Want A Huge TV? Your Wallet Says To Wait

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:31 PM

From ABC News:

Want A Huge TV? Your Wallet Says To Wait

Even if you take all your friends to a sports bar on Super Bowl Sunday and even if you pay for every beer, you'll likely spend thousands less than you would have if you bought yourself a new ultra-thin, high-definition television. And you won't have to kick yourself as you watch the price of those TVs fall.

New factories and improved manufacturing techniques are expected to contribute to significant price declines this year. Exactly how much depends on whom you ask.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:29 PM

I'll stick to my 80" front projector for a while. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#3 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:56 PM

Sorry to disagree with you, Mark, but if your logic was followed on most electronics, you'd never buy them. Every 3-4 months prices drop, features get added, etc. My old lady rubs pennies together to keep warm. I'll buy the best I can and not look back.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:24 AM

FWIW... I just repost the articles. It doesn't mean that I agree with them, only that they're there.

Having said that, I'll still wait for the price to drop to a more reasonable level.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#5 OFFLINE   chewey

chewey

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:50 AM

I think that a good guideline to follow is to hold out as long as you can. It is hard to avoid buyers remorse when something better and cheaper comes out every month. That being said, you have to figure in all of the great programming you will miss out on if you don't buy today. I loved having HD this football season. What's funny is the number of people who missed all of the games in HD over the season, and now they are out getting setup so they can watch the superbowl in HD.

As far as reasonable prices go, I think it is hard to argue that the prices for a lot of the sets out now are not reasonable. $2000 can get you an awsome HD set, and a decent one can be had for $1000.

#6 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:17 PM

I'm still working on my DIY projector, which will give me my "huge tv" without making my wallet beg for mercy.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

#7 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:13 PM

I would work on a DIY projector project if I could get the LCD panels already taken apart as they are already sensitive. Is there a place I can buy these that are already taken apart?

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:27 PM

I'm still working on my DIY projector, which will give me my "huge tv" without making my wallet beg for mercy.

So how's it coming already? :D When will you post pix of the final product?
My big screen: http://www4.pbase.co.../image/37139492
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#9 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:03 AM

Just gathering parts currently. I've got the LCD I'm going to use. A 17" LCD that does 1280 x 1024 and has a 20ms response time. This cost me $150 after rebates, and if I can't use it for the projector I'll use it for my wife's computer.

Now I'm waiting for some fresnel and triplet lenses to come back in stock.

This will be a very large projector, but I'm thinking of actually placing it behind the wall so its totally out of view. The screen will be about 12 ft across (not the diagonal)
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,582 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:09 PM

Something to keep in mind... Since most new technology costs a bit to develop and manufacture the initial products... if nobody bought the initial high-priced items, then the companies would never make their investments back and would never be able to drop the price because they would go out of business.

To some extent, all of us who wait for the prices to come down, owe the priveledge of doing so to all those folks who are made fun of for plunking down big bucks in the beginning...

#11 OFFLINE   muledoggie

muledoggie

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

I read on news.com that LCD HDTVs have fallen 40% between Dec. 2003 and Dec. 2004 and are expected to fall as much as 60% this next 12 months.

Jeff
--

GO Mavs, Rangers, Stars, Cowboys, Aggies
Hello to friends of Bill W.

#12 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

I guess I will wait until the LCD televisions come down that 60% or so while they continue to improve. I wonder if this would bring the prices down on the projection televisions along with the plasma and DLP.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...