Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVI-I to DVI-D

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

Just had an HTPC built by this neat little outfit called Monster PC. Nice guys. Good work. I've got a number of choices for video output, VGA and DVI-I being the most promissing with the latter being preferred, but on the set side (Sammy DLP), I've got a DVI-D (as well as VGA) connector. Can I go directly from DVI-I to DVI-D with a DVI-D cable??
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

Yes. And if you need RGB you can get that from DVI-I by using a special breakout cable.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#3 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. Just got a cable from Rat Shack. Interesting that their home brand was more expensive than Monster Cable!! :lol:
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

#4 OFFLINE   drewnbrew

drewnbrew

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:45 AM

how can you tell which dvi connection you have? can someone help me out with this answer?

tv: samsung hlp-4663w
stb: samaung ts-360 hd

thank you in advance..
drew

#5 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

You can go directly between a device with a DVI-I output and a TV with a DVI-D output by simply using a DVI-D cable (which has DVI-D connectors at both ends). You do not need any sort of additional adapters or convertors. In fact, even if both devices have DVI-I, you can connect the two together with a DVI-D cable, since you're only interested in the digital portion anyhow.

#6 OFFLINE   drewnbrew

drewnbrew

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

thanks for the help!

#7 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

You can go directly between a device with a DVI-I output and a TV with a DVI-D output by simply using a DVI-D cable (which has DVI-D connectors at both ends). You do not need any sort of additional adapters or convertors. In fact, even if both devices have DVI-I, you can connect the two together with a DVI-D cable, since you're only interested in the digital portion anyhow.

Just got my HTPC fully up and running last night (had to replace a bum video card). The DVI-D cable works perfectly!
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

spam firewall