Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish install to billing address?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DennyC

DennyC

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:43 AM

I'd like to take advantage of the latest offer on the 522, but the "must be installed" part of it presents a problem.

I have, for many years, had a non-existent "physical location" address out in the boonies, although I actually live in the city (at the address Dish lists as my billing address). This arrangement allows me to receive both east and west coast feeds, plus my locals. Maintaining this setup is my top priority-- I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it.

When swapping out receivers in the past, I just had Dish ship them to my billing address for self installation. However, since installation is required on the 522, that won't work-- they're going to want to send the installer to the address in the boonies. Any ideas how I might get around this without losing my east and west coast feeds in the process?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:21 AM

You might try telling them that you already ran the cabeling so there's nothing to install. Obviously, if you have a problem with the install, you'll need to fix it yourself.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:52 PM

Change your address to your real address order the 522 then change the address back after installation.

#4 OFFLINE   DennyC

DennyC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:26 PM

Change your address to your real address order the 522 then change the address back after installation.

I'm told that the only reason I'm still allowed to receive three different network packages is because I'm "grandfathered" under some old rules. Under the new rules (which they'd make me go by if I "moved" away, then back), I don't think I'd qualify for the east/west coast packages.

I don't need any installation (all the cabling is done, I already have a 501 and a 508 which I installed myself), but thus far I haven't heard that anybody has been successful in convincing Dish to just ship them the receiver direct.

Maybe I'll call a local retailer and see if he's willing to let me pick up the box rather than come out to the house....

#5 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:36 PM

I remember reading (here) that someone WAS successful in getting the box w/o the installation fee since it was already cabled. I'd try that tact.

#6 OFFLINE   Jordan420

Jordan420

Legend

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:45 PM

I have "moved" to get the E/W feeds, in the summer dish had the 721 deal going and I had them ship to my billing address. I told them I had everything already wired up and that no one would be at the service address to receive the packages so I needed them shipped to the billing address. I had no problem. This was ordered directly from ceo@echostar.com

YMMV

Jordan
Want to know how to unlock a Dish receiver password? Click Here

#7 OFFLINE   DennyC

DennyC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:13 PM

Thanks, Jordan, sounds like that's worth a try. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:15 AM

Not at the risk of losing distant nets.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#9 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:31 AM

Easier to buy a 522 after all its still costs you a $100 and e bay they arent that much more. No explaining addresses, no waiting for installer, no cleaning house before installer arrives.

Buying box is easier, and has residual value when your done using it

#10 OFFLINE   Swampthing

Swampthing

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:09 PM

I'd like to take advantage of the latest offer on the 522, but the "must be installed" part of it presents a problem.

I have, for many years, had a non-existent "physical location" address out in the boonies, although I actually live in the city (at the address Dish lists as my billing address). This arrangement allows me to receive both east and west coast feeds, plus my locals. Maintaining this setup is my top priority-- I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it.

When swapping out receivers in the past, I just had Dish ship them to my billing address for self installation. However, since installation is required on the 522, that won't work-- they're going to want to send the installer to the address in the boonies. Any ideas how I might get around this without losing my east and west coast feeds in the process?

Thanks!

It's amazing how far people will go to try to beat the system.

#11 OFFLINE   DennyC

DennyC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:06 PM

It's amazing how far people will go to try to beat the system.

Yeah, being a compliant little puppy and bending to the nonsensical will of Charlie and the FCC in these matters just isn't in my character. Must be the anti-authority attitude that results from my being a child of the '60's. <g>

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:47 PM

Easier to buy a 522 after all its still costs you a $100 and e bay they arent that much more. No explaining addresses, no waiting for installer, no cleaning house before installer arrives.

Buying box is easier, and has residual value when your done using it

You cannot buy a 522 on EBAY that E* will activate on your account. When they first came out 522's were lease-only. The "sellers" on EBAY are selling you something they do not rightfully own. The 522's that E* is just beginning to sell now will only be activated when new (for now, anyway). In the future, it's anybody's guess what will happen in regards to used 522's being activated.

#13 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

You cannot buy a 522 on EBAY that E* will activate on your account. When they first came out 522's were lease-only. The "sellers" on EBAY are selling you something they do not rightfully own. The 522's that E* is just beginning to sell now will only be activated when new (for now, anyway). In the future, it's anybody's guess what will happen in regards to used 522's being activated.

It can be done, and has been done. I can't say all of the 522's on ebay are legit, but if company A bought the receivers from E*, then company A can do with them as they will. When Company A sells a system and activates it with E* then E* reimburses company A for it and it now belongs to E* again. There have been to many non-DHA, and non-first time customers having them activated and actually own them for you to say BUYER BEWARE, and then state E* will not activate them. Do a bit more homework next time.
DNSC_Installer

We get it up, We get it in, We get it on.....

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:04 PM

When I moved from the Atlanta area to the Georgia coast, in order to retain ATL locals, I changed my billing address but not my actual address. When Dish came out with the el cheapo 811 deal I told the CSR to have it delivered to my "vacation" home here on the coast -- which could be the truth since I am retired and more or less on permanent vacation. :D

The DNSC installer didn't ask any questions.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...